FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Forum Styles » [WIP] FUDforum Design Overhaul (From the top down?)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
[WIP] FUDforum Design Overhaul [message #164788] Tue, 08 March 2011 23:12 Go to next message
Lirodon is currently offline  Lirodon   Canada
So, this is what I've been working on. This obviously, is not within an actual FUDforum install just yet (coded it from scratch as just static HTML), and its not a complete page just yet. This, is just so I can gauge some feedback on the design. I kinda decided to go with a color scheme based off what we have on this particular forum right now (the black), but combining it with a sort of soft metallic look. My markup is also slightly different, and while I also used tables for the main body of the list here, I really want there to be no use of tables at all on any final product.

I know some of it is unthemed right now, but still, you can kinda get the idea of where I'm going with this.
index.php?t=getfile&id=6132&private=0
Re: [WIP] FUDforum Design Overhaul [message #164792 is a reply to message #164788] Wed, 09 March 2011 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
This is going to be winner!

PS: If you like we can always load the HTML/templates on this site to showcase the progress made. Incremental integration would also be easier than trying to do everything at once.
Re: [WIP] FUDforum Design Overhaul [message #164793 is a reply to message #164792] Wed, 09 March 2011 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
That might be a good idea, try as I might you all have been losing me on your last several posts, even though I've been trying to follow; so maybe seeing it in action might help.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
Re: [WIP] FUDforum Design Overhaul [message #164796 is a reply to message #164792] Thu, 10 March 2011 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll probably use that fudforum2go thing. And then once there's enough significance, I'll open it up on a git repo.

I still think the header needs a little something ... I'm trying to give it more of an upscale look.

index.php?t=getfile&id=6133&private=0
Re: [WIP] FUDforum Design Overhaul [message #164797 is a reply to message #164796] Thu, 10 March 2011 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's a "git repo"??

I guess that would depend on what you mean by "upscale look", headers and their modification seems to be a frequent subject. There seem to be wide range of interests there.

Though it might not pertain to what you are doing: I'm looking at the image and thinking I like the angel being removed from the header, the text font and placement can still be changed by CSS I assume? The upper right looks kind of bare it might be nice to place the bookmark and share icons there particularly if it was selectable otherwise I thought the search being there appropriate (I guess it just lacks visual balance at the top as is). But then again leaving it open simplifies the Admins job when customizing the header.

The menu icons aren't too sexy but they seem to work with the theme, and there were a few other changes I noted like the time being removed, etc. that would take some getting used too but overall it strikes me as pleasing compact and easy on the eyes! Although I have become accustomed to the current theme and layout this looks like something I would definitely use!

Anniversary edition was mentioned before and this would be a nice addition/upgrade particularly if selectable, but then I don't know what to suggest for I spy either but will think on it.

Re: [WIP] FUDforum Design Overhaul [message #164801 is a reply to message #164797] Thu, 10 March 2011 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Git, by the way, is unlike SVN.

And maybe the login box could be shoved up there. Right now, I am building the theme within the current FUD markup, though in a future release we may have to streamline it. I have called the template set "Nexus"

[Updated on: Thu, 10 March 2011 10:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [WIP] FUDforum Design Overhaul [message #164803 is a reply to message #164788] Thu, 10 March 2011 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay. This may just be phase 1 of the redesign, making a new theme to serve as default that will at least look nicer than the current one, and not completely break everything for old themes ... yet.

So this is what I got so far on actually putting it on an actual install.
index.php?t=getfile&id=6134&private=0
Re: [WIP] FUDforum Design Overhaul [message #164805 is a reply to message #164803] Fri, 11 March 2011 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Nexus" works for me.

Re: [WIP] FUDforum Design Overhaul [message #164813 is a reply to message #164805] Sun, 13 March 2011 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, I am making some progress, but what I feel I need, is more help.

I have set up a version control repository for the Nexus template set on Gitorious. Git, by the way, is a version control system originally meant for developing the Linux Kernel (and indeed, Linus himself is one of the main creators of it). Unlike SVN, any checkouts (here called "cloning", you'll see why) of the repository is a working copy that can be built upon in its own separate hierarchy. You can also request changes of your own to be merged into my copy of the repository.

It still needs a lot of work, I never realized our template markup is really that complicated.

What I'm aiming for is:

• Make the look a little more modern
  • Clean up the markup
  • Use less tables, more CSS

[Updated on: Sun, 13 March 2011 14:59]

Re: [WIP] FUDforum Design Overhaul [message #164816 is a reply to message #164813] Mon, 14 March 2011 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I've managed to "clone" the theme and COMMITted/PUSHed a small change just to test the work flow.
If it works out well, I'll undertake more serious changes.

PS: It would have been great if you've booked the original code into Gitorious before making changes. It's currently impossible to track the changes you've applied.
Re: [WIP] FUDforum Design Overhaul [message #164817 is a reply to message #164816] Mon, 14 March 2011 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ooops, darn it! Knew I forgot something, I just used the 3.0.2 as the base, its actually a little tricky to convert an SVN repository to git on Windows.

But yes, once you clone a repository, you can pull in changes from the origin, and it'll update your copy with the changes made to the master copy. And yes, the system worked.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 March 2011 14:05]

Re : Re: [WIP] FUDforum Design Overhaul [message #165833 is a reply to message #164817] Tue, 16 August 2011 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zeppelinfan is currently offline  Zeppelinfan   
Any updates about this very nice theme ? For instance, is it going to be included as default in the next release ? That would be really cool !
Re: Re : Re: [WIP] FUDforum Design Overhaul [message #165834 is a reply to message #165833] Tue, 16 August 2011 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yes, it's a nice theme.
No, it won't be in the next release.
But I do hope the author will continue to maintain it and update it for FUDforum 3.0.3.
Re: Re : Re: [WIP] FUDforum Design Overhaul [message #166069 is a reply to message #165834] Sun, 11 September 2011 07:39 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Would it be possible to achieve this look and feel with FUDforum's 3.0.3 HTML5 templates.
If so, can you please work on a patch/diff for us?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Fud Forum Template
Next Topic: Custom Icons Not Showing in IE
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:45:48 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02691 seconds