FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Forum Showcase » My new forum in China
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
My new forum in China [message #164819] Tue, 15 March 2011 13:55 Go to next message
newbit is currently offline  newbit   China
The Ningbo Forums, a new forum-only website dedicated to the city of Ningbo, China. It's not much but it takes time to grow.

After a few troubles with FUDforum, I like my new forum. I especially like that it hasn't gotten any spam yet. The Google ads weren't too much pain to add, I was worried about that part. I was also worried about Chinese language support, but it appears it's OK, which is another reason I chose FUDforum. Good work!

[Updated on: Tue, 15 March 2011 13:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: My new forum in China [message #164821 is a reply to message #164819] Wed, 16 March 2011 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Well done and thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

Are you using the Simplified Chinese translation? It would be great if you can help us to expand/improve the Chinese translations at http://translatewiki.net/!

Best regards.

Frank

Re: My new forum in China [message #164822 is a reply to message #164821] Wed, 16 March 2011 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, not using Chinese as the forum language. Just able to post in it with no problems.
Re: My new forum in China [message #164825 is a reply to message #164822] Wed, 16 March 2011 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
But you can write Chinese, right?
We really need some help to make the forum more accessible for Chinese users.
Re: My new forum in China [message #164831 is a reply to message #164825] Thu, 17 March 2011 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm. I can translate Chinese to English, because I'm a native English speaker. But I can't translate English to Chinese...that's the wrong way around. Translating into Chinese is devilishly difficult due to just how different Chinese is from any other language. Add to that technical terms like "tree view" or "post quick reply" and it gets iffy. If I just translate "tree" and then "view" it will probably have native Chinese speakers scratching their heads. They'd click the button and expect to see a picture of a tree.
Re: My new forum in China [message #164861 is a reply to message #164831] Sun, 20 March 2011 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lirodon is currently offline  Lirodon   Canada
You could translate those as like "Viewed like branches" and "To post response rapidly"
Re: My new forum in China [message #164862 is a reply to message #164861] Sun, 20 March 2011 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Lirodon wrote:
You could translate those as like "Viewed like branches" and "To post response rapidly"

Yes, "tree view" can also be translated as "Hierarchical View".
Re: My new forum in China [message #164863 is a reply to message #164862] Sun, 20 March 2011 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, well, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Native English speakers can't even agree - how can I translate it? You need a native Chinese speaker to translate from English to Chinese. Full stop.
Re: My new forum in China [message #165554 is a reply to message #164819] Thu, 14 July 2011 23:38 Go to previous message
dsawe is currently offline  dsawe   China
Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Looking for a showcase fudforum already implementing nntp access
Next Topic: Renegade Forums
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:47:54 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04340 seconds