FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Banned Users, Threads locking, threads moving (Not sure if it is a bug or not though)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Banned Users, Threads locking, threads moving [message #165252] Tue, 17 May 2011 12:26 Go to next message
Moachist is currently offline  Moachist   United States
So Fudforum 3.0.2.

I am noticing a number of things.

Users appears to randomly be banned. Two users this morning were banned. We only have two admins and neither of us did it, and it appears that banning users is more difficult than just an accidental click. I also noticed the Action Log doesn't show banned user activity, so I am unsure how to troubleshoot this.

A number of threads seems to be randomly locking as well. I notice in the action log a thread gets locked by mods who claim they never did it. Could this be accidental clicks? any way to add an "Are you Sure" to the locking mechanism?

We have also had oddities where threads get moved to new forums. Again tough to accidentally click and do.

Just wondering if any of these items are known issues that are being worked on, and the best way to go about troubleshooting this.
Re: Banned Users, Threads locking, threads moving [message #165257 is a reply to message #165252] Tue, 17 May 2011 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
User banning will be logged in FUDforum 3.0.3.
Besides that, I'm not aware of other related problems.
Re: Banned Users, Threads locking, threads moving [message #165270 is a reply to message #165257] Thu, 19 May 2011 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Tue, 17 May 2011 11:02
User banning will be logged in FUDforum 3.0.3.
Besides that, I'm not aware of other related problems.

Every morning, I wake up to find numerous threads moved or locked. Last night we had two different threads moved at least 7 times. Just moving to numerous forums.

I can provide the action log if you want to look further into this.

Yesterday morning we found a number of users banned. All at odd late night hours. Is it possible a Cron job is doing this?
Re: Banned Users, Threads locking, threads moving [message #165271 is a reply to message #165270] Thu, 19 May 2011 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Revoke everyone's access, change your passwords and secure the server (including your forum).
Re: Banned Users, Threads locking, threads moving [message #165282 is a reply to message #165271] Fri, 20 May 2011 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Thu, 19 May 2011 12:05
Revoke everyone's access, change your passwords and secure the server (including your forum).

I ran a forum consistency and it didn't happen last night. Will look again this evening.
Re: Banned Users, Threads locking, threads moving [message #165296 is a reply to message #165282] Sat, 21 May 2011 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update:

Threads keep moving. Sometimes they move 6-7 times in about 5 minutes. I have the setting turned on so if a thread is moved, it leaves a notation in the source forum saying it has been moved. The threads that are moving, apparently automatically, on our site do not leave the notation in the source thread. Threads that are manually moved by me, do leave a notation.
Re: Banned Users, Threads locking, threads moving [message #165301 is a reply to message #165296] Sun, 22 May 2011 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This must coincide with a cron job, URL (look in access_log) or some other event.
Get the exact time and start digging.
Re: Banned Users, Threads locking, threads moving [message #165326 is a reply to message #165301] Thu, 26 May 2011 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Sun, 22 May 2011 06:44
This must coincide with a cron job, URL (look in access_log) or some other event.
Get the exact time and start digging.

I have disabled all cron jobs. I changed my password a number of times and it seems to have no affect. In the action log, only my account in this system is logging this.

Often when a thread moves, the same thread will move 10-15 times in a few hours.

We are also seeing numerous users finding a bunch of people end up on their ignore user list. Happening over and over.
Re: Banned Users, Threads locking, threads moving [message #165330 is a reply to message #165326] Fri, 27 May 2011 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I have traced through the Access_log and found that each time a thread is moved, locked, or users get banned or added to ignore lists, it is always coming from an IP address within Crawl-<ip_address>.Googlebot.com.

Any ideas how / why this might happen?
Re: Banned Users, Threads locking, threads moving [message #165331 is a reply to message #165330] Fri, 27 May 2011 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Can you please mail the entries (with exact URL's) to me for investigation?
Re: Banned Users, Threads locking, threads moving [message #165339 is a reply to message #165331] Sat, 28 May 2011 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj wrote on Fri, 27 May 2011 00:46
Can you please mail the entries (with exact URL's) to me for investigation?

email sent. Every questionable entry in the past few days is for sure coming from a googlebot entry in the access log.
Re: Banned Users, Threads locking, threads moving [message #165341 is a reply to message #165339] Sun, 29 May 2011 03:42 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
In conclusion:

1. Admins should generally disable URL Sessions (in Global Settings Manager).
2. If you need to enable it, reduce your Session Timeout setting.
3. Beware of toolbars and stuff that captures your URL's.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Strange edit issue, possible malicious code?
Next Topic: Error During Consistency Checking
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 13:13:37 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04074 seconds