FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Can't upload any file
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Can't upload any file [message #165738] Sun, 07 August 2011 12:16 Go to next message
Zeppelinfan is currently offline  Zeppelinfan   France
Hi,
First I'd like to congratulate you for the quality of your software.
I have just one small problem : since update from 3.0.2, I can't upload any file in messages, although their "weight" in KB is much below the maximum size available.
I always have this message :
"File Attachment is too big (over allowed limit of 16777216 bytes)"

But it's NOT too big, well under the 16384 KB allowed

When I upload on the server itself and try to insert with the "image insert" button, I sometimes also can't get the image.
There are no errors in the error log in ACP
I think the folders and files have correct permissions...

Any help would be nice.
Erik
index.php?t=getfile&id=6177&private=0
  • Attachment: marcel.jpg
    (Size: 27.42KB, Downloaded 1277 times)

[Updated on: Sun, 07 August 2011 13:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can't upload any file [message #165739 is a reply to message #165738] Sun, 07 August 2011 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
This is not a known problem.
Can you try to upload it here to see if you get the same error.
Alternatively, mail it to me for testing.
Re : Re: Can't upload any file [message #165743 is a reply to message #165739] Sun, 07 August 2011 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As you see, it works well here, but I can't upload the same image on my forum, and the max size is allowed.
Re: Re : Re: Can't upload any file [message #165744 is a reply to message #165743] Sun, 07 August 2011 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Just to double check, what is your php.ini values for:
* upload_max_filesize
* post_max_size
Re : Re: Re : Re: Can't upload any file [message #165748 is a reply to message #165744] Sun, 07 August 2011 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sorry but can't get access to php.ini.
Do I need access to the server to locate it ? Because I don't have it
Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Can't upload any file [message #165749 is a reply to message #165748] Sun, 07 August 2011 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can see it from the System Info ACP -> Detailed PHP info.
Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Can't upload any file [message #165750 is a reply to message #165749] Sun, 07 August 2011 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here they are : post_max_size : 8M
upload_max_filesize : 16M

[Updated on: Sun, 07 August 2011 18:42]

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Can't upload any file [message #165751 is a reply to message #165750] Sun, 07 August 2011 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That explains it. The post_max_size value must be larger than upload_max_filesize.
For details, see http://php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php
Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Can't upload any file [message #165754 is a reply to message #165751] Sun, 07 August 2011 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I get it. This is most inconvenient. I'll have to have all the images uploaded to the server first and then link to them with [IMG], then ?
Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Can't upload any file [message #165755 is a reply to message #165754] Sun, 07 August 2011 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ask you system administrator or hosting provider to fix the PHP parameters.
Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Can't upload any file [message #165756 is a reply to message #165755] Sun, 07 August 2011 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will do
Big thanks for taking the time to answer me, really nice of you

Erik
Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Can't upload any file [message #166382 is a reply to message #165751] Wed, 30 November 2011 03:16 Go to previous message
ShineOn is currently offline  ShineOn   United States
Frank, I am having the same problem - no matter the size of the attachment, it says it's too big.

The hosting provider's canned php.ini has both upload_max_filesize and post_max_size set to 10M.

I was able to use an .htaccess AddHandler to change the php handler to look in the document root, and put a customized copy of their php.ini in the document root and in fudforum/adm, with upload_max_filesize set to 10M and post_max_size set to 20M.

I am still getting the error.

Are there any other places where php files are executed from besides the fudforum root and fudforum/adm? Because I'm overriding the default "everyone use the same php.ini" I believe I have to have a copy of the customized php.ini in every directory a .php file might be executed from, because running a phpinfo() script in the fudforum root showed the customized php.ini in that directory was being used, but running the more php info in the adm cp still showed it coming from /etc/php.ini.

When I added a copy of the customized php.ini to fudforum/adm, the more php info in adm cp showed it was using the custom php.ini in fudforum/adm.

Any ideas?

<edit> More info: Uploads work just fine in the ACP file management panel, so it's not the upload process that's broken.
It must be something in the attachment process. I have added the custom php.ini to the /themes/<my theme> and themes/default directories, as they also have php files that are executed, but that didn't make post attachment uploads work.

Uploads to the ACP file management panel worked fine before I started messing with custom php.ini.

Note: I am using the path_info template in my theme and have path_info style URLs enabled. Could that be the problem? I will try changing themes and turning off the path_info style urls just for a test run and will post back. </edit>

<edit2> Well that didn't work. I changed the theme back to default, turned path_info style urls off and changed my profile to use the default theme. No joy, BUT -

I noticed that if you do something within the post form, without even entering in the browse box or selecting Upload File, the error message
File Attachment is too big (over allowed limit of 10485760 bytes)
shows up, which tells me it's not the upload part of the process that's causing the error to be thrown... I think it's a true bug and not just me screwing it up... </edit2>

<edit3> New info - sometimes when not doing any sort of file attachments, the "file is too big" message appears when you click "submit." Doesnt' sound like a php.ini issue to me, but I could be wrong... I'd like to at least have an idea where to look or how to debug this process. </edit>

[Updated on: Sat, 03 December 2011 04:39]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: plugin settings not maintained when backup and restored
Next Topic: Forum post attachments fail
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 16:54:43 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03970 seconds