FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Plugins and Code Hacks » Trying to make SEO mods (Google nofollow and such)
Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
| Unsubscribe from topic | Remove from bookmarks 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Trying to make SEO mods [message #166655] Sun, 05 February 2012 19:47 Go to next message
ShineOn is currently offline  ShineOn   United States
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Trying to add ref=nofollow on some of the links that we feel might take some juice away if they're left as dofollow's. Problem: some of the HTML is plugged in using variable substitution, and I have no idea where the data is coming from.

For example, the footer link back to FUDforum is generated using
	<p class="SmallText">{MSG: powered-by}<br />{MSG: copyright}</p> 
and this is an easy example - there are lots of HTML generated using these {MSG: <keyword>} constructs. Damifino where they come from though.

In the example, if (not saying when) I wanted to make the link back to this site a nofollow, I would need to know where to find the <a> element that is in the string that replaces the {MSG: copyright} in the resulting "compiled" string:
 	<p class="SmallText">Powered by: FUDforum <?php echo $GLOBALS['FORUM_VERSION']; ?>.<br />Copyright &copy;2001-2011 <a href="http://fudforum.org/">FUDforum Bulletin Board Software</a></p>

[Updated on: Sun, 05 February 2012 20:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Trying to make SEO mods [message #166656 is a reply to message #166655] Sun, 05 February 2012 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
Messages, like {MSG: copyright}, are defined in your forum's thm/default/i18n/LANG/msg file.
Where LANG can be 'en' for English or what ever you use on your forum.
Also see Message Editor.
Re: Trying to make SEO mods [message #166660 is a reply to message #166656] Mon, 06 February 2012 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShineOn is currently offline  ShineOn   United States
add to buddy list
Thanks, Frank. It all clicks now.

I was searching using Windows 7's search, and it wasn't set to search the contents of "no-extension" file "types" by default, which is why I was coming up empty. I should know better than to trust Microsoft to do the intelligent thing Wink

Note: for anyone looking at this for help - I miskeyed "rel=nofollow" as "ref" in the OP.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 February 2012 06:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Trying to make SEO mods [message #169266 is a reply to message #166655] Mon, 16 September 2013 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
axxo1 is currently offline  axxo1
add to buddy list
I am glad I used the search function, I too couldn't figure out where they were coming from.

I wonder if it's written anywhere in the documentation?
Message by cpreston is ignored  [reveal message]  [reveal all messages by cpreston]  [stop ignoring this user] Go to previous messageGo to next message
Message by alopezie is ignored  [reveal message]  [reveal all messages by alopezie]  [stop ignoring this user] Go to previous messageGo to next message
Re: Aw: Re: Trying to make SEO mods [message #186807 is a reply to message #186659] Sat, 07 March 2015 04:24 Go to previous message
anshuminesh19 is currently offline  anshuminesh19   India
add to buddy list
Thank you for the sharing awesome plugin! Will surely be bookmarking this post.
Quick Reply
Formatting Tools:   
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic: Paypal Donate Plugin
Next Topic: shoutbox
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Jul 02 12:07:50 EDT 2020

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00699 seconds