FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Plugins and Code Hacks » Trying to make SEO mods (Google nofollow and such)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Trying to make SEO mods [message #166655] Mon, 06 February 2012 00:47 Go to next message
ShineOn is currently offline  ShineOn   United States
Trying to add ref=nofollow on some of the links that we feel might take some juice away if they're left as dofollow's. Problem: some of the HTML is plugged in using variable substitution, and I have no idea where the data is coming from.

For example, the footer link back to FUDforum is generated using
	<p class="SmallText">{MSG: powered-by}<br />{MSG: copyright}</p> 
and this is an easy example - there are lots of HTML generated using these {MSG: <keyword>} constructs. Damifino where they come from though.

In the example, if (not saying when) I wanted to make the link back to this site a nofollow, I would need to know where to find the <a> element that is in the string that replaces the {MSG: copyright} in the resulting "compiled" string:
 	<p class="SmallText">Powered by: FUDforum <?php echo $GLOBALS['FORUM_VERSION']; ?>.<br />Copyright &copy;2001-2011 <a href="http://fudforum.org/">FUDforum Bulletin Board Software</a></p>

[Updated on: Mon, 06 February 2012 01:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Trying to make SEO mods [message #166656 is a reply to message #166655] Mon, 06 February 2012 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Messages, like {MSG: copyright}, are defined in your forum's thm/default/i18n/LANG/msg file.
Where LANG can be 'en' for English or what ever you use on your forum.
Also see Message Editor.
Re: Trying to make SEO mods [message #166660 is a reply to message #166656] Mon, 06 February 2012 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShineOn is currently offline  ShineOn   United States
Thanks, Frank. It all clicks now.

I was searching using Windows 7's search, and it wasn't set to search the contents of "no-extension" file "types" by default, which is why I was coming up empty. I should know better than to trust Microsoft to do the intelligent thing Wink

Note: for anyone looking at this for help - I miskeyed "rel=nofollow" as "ref" in the OP.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 February 2012 11:17]

Re: Trying to make SEO mods [message #169266 is a reply to message #166655] Mon, 16 September 2013 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
axxo1 is currently offline  axxo1
I am glad I used the search function, I too couldn't figure out where they were coming from.

I wonder if it's written anywhere in the documentation?
Re: Trying to make SEO mods [message #169321 is a reply to message #169266] Wed, 25 September 2013 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpreston is currently offline  cpreston   United States
Hey, ShineOn...

Can you point me to a resource that explains the whole follow/nofollow/juiced link thing? I know it's something I'm supposed to understand, but it leaves me feeling really stupid when I read stuff like this.
Aw: Re: Trying to make SEO mods [message #186659 is a reply to message #169321] Sun, 02 November 2014 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alopezie is currently offline  alopezie   
Quite a while ago - but still quite important

There is a lot about it on the web, but basically its easy:

One of Googles most important factors of sorting websites is the "power" of a website based on incoming links, more on quality (strength) than number.
So if you have link from Microsoft front page it gives a lot of power or "juice" to this page.
The power or juice is spread to the links on this page

So thats why people spam forums, to get as many links as possible.
But the more links there are, the more the power or juice is spread.
So a page with 100 links gives only 1/10 of power compared to a pages with 10 links

For the lots of spam Google introduced the "nofollow" tag, to
a) say the Google robot not to follow (although some people say it still follows)
b) not to include the link in weighting a website (although some people say it still gives power)

I´m just considering to add nofollow-tag just to keep spammers out

Alopezie.de - das Forum zum Thema Haarausfall

[Updated on: Sun, 02 November 2014 19:55]

Re: Aw: Re: Trying to make SEO mods [message #186807 is a reply to message #186659] Sat, 07 March 2015 09:24 Go to previous message
anshuminesh19 is currently offline  anshuminesh19   India
Thank you for the sharing awesome plugin! Will surely be bookmarking this post.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Paypal Donate Plugin
Next Topic: shoutbox
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:03:48 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.10059 seconds