FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Plugins and Code Hacks » Quote depth limiter - mod or plugin (Looking for some pointers re writing a mod or plugin )
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Quote depth limiter - mod or plugin [message #166721] Fri, 17 February 2012 03:07 Go to next message
rboatright is currently offline  rboatright
We have a lot of users who read our forum via email, and as a result many of the posts coming into the forum contain quoted messages.

We would like to limit the length or depth of the quotes either to 'x' lines, or to a quote depth of 1 or 2. Any suggestions about where to start on the filter to do that?

It's not that I can't write the filter, but I have not managed to find the logical place to stick it in...

-_ Rick
Re: Quote depth limiter - mod or plugin [message #166722 is a reply to message #166721] Fri, 17 February 2012 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Function send_email() in iemail.inc.t.

Add a call-out for plugins before the message is sent and code your plugin against it.

See http://fudforum.svn.sourceforge.net/fudforum/?rev=5425&view=rev
Re: Quote depth limiter - mod or plugin [message #166751 is a reply to message #166722] Fri, 17 February 2012 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rboatright is currently offline  rboatright   United States
That doesn't seem fair. It would only be limiting quotes going OUT to email people.

It would make more sense to limit the quote depth at the time the quote button was pressed I would think.

-_ Rick
Re: Quote depth limiter - mod or plugin [message #166790 is a reply to message #166751] Thu, 23 February 2012 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NeXuS is currently offline  NeXuS
Contributing Core Developer
Quote:
It would make more sense to limit the quote depth at the time the quote button was pressed I would think.

I am sorry, but I does not make sense: when one quotes someone else it is logical to give them the full quote and then let them choose which parts should be discarded. If you preemptively discard part of the quote, it might make the whole quoting useless.
Re: Quote depth limiter - mod or plugin [message #166794 is a reply to message #166790] Fri, 24 February 2012 11:15 Go to previous message
rboatright is currently offline  rboatright
Normally, you are completely correct, however in the particular forum in question, since well over half of the users participate in the forum by email, and are unable to have any context from a reply UNLESS there is at least some quoting, the reply button without quotes is disabled, and all replies automatically get quotes.

If no quote-length limit is imposed a linear lengthening happens.

Message length rapidly gets out-of-control for the web users, making it difficult for them to read the web pages.

In prior incarnations of the forum, where we were using something other than FUDforum, we implemented a routine we called "Otto Von Schnipp" which removed any quote parts with depth > 1. (anything with >> prepending)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: GLOBALS.php and integration: suggested patch
Next Topic: Why a 302 redirect?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 18:55:29 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02913 seconds