FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Suggestion: Update all Newsgroups on every run
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Suggestion: Update all Newsgroups on every run [message #166946] Fri, 06 April 2012 13:54 Go to next message
Multitool is currently offline  Multitool
I notice that when scheduling NNTP updates via the task scheduler, only one newsgroup is updated each time the script is run. This means the minimum update interval for each group is effectively (the number of newsgroup imports defined) minutes.

So if you have, say, 30 forums, each synchronised to a newsgroup, each forum can only update once every 30 minutes, minimum.

Wouldn't it make more sense to update all the newsgroups on each run, and use a lock to make sure the next update can't start until the previous one has ended?

I know you can use a manual cron job to do this (which is what I've done) but it seems to make sense for this to be the normal behaviour?
Re: Suggestion: Update all Newsgroups on every run [message #166966 is a reply to message #166946] Tue, 10 April 2012 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
You can trigger the scheduler to run several times per minute. I.e. every 2 seconds to get through all your groups.
Re: Suggestion: Update all Newsgroups on every run [message #166973 is a reply to message #166966] Tue, 10 April 2012 16:47 Go to previous message
Multitool is currently offline  Multitool   United Kingdom
naudefj wrote on Tue, 10 April 2012 13:55
You can trigger the scheduler to run several times per minute. I.e. every 2 seconds to get through all your groups.

How? The shortest time interval cron allows is 1 minute.

And I don't think using such a short interval would be practical anyway. You'd be constantly connecting and disconnecting from the NNTP server all the time. Much better to just update all groups on every run, and schedule runs at longer time intervals.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: button location
Next Topic: Synchronising Forum posts to NNTP - Retry after failure
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:09:42 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02528 seconds