FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Send post by email
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Send post by email [message #166977] Wed, 11 April 2012 15:51 Go to next message
WhiteTiger is currently offline  WhiteTiger   Italy
Hi guys,
my users are comfortable to use the usenet newsgroups and so Fudforum it the right choice for us.
But they are also comfortable to use email reader to access to newsgroup server and so I wish to give them the possibility to send post to forum and to receive post from forum by email.

I thought to set a mailing list and then to syncronize this with the newsgroup forum, but I'm not able to do this.

Have you some suggest?

Thanks a lot in advance.
WT

Re: Send post by email [message #167034 is a reply to message #166977] Tue, 17 April 2012 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Users that subscribe to forums will get the messages delivered to their mailboxes. You can test it on this forum by clicking on the "Subscribe/Unsubscribe" links on the forum pages.
Re: Send post by email [message #167130 is a reply to message #167034] Wed, 02 May 2012 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhiteTiger is currently offline  WhiteTiger   
It's Ok, but then they cannot write a message from email client.
Who works with usenet newsgroups usually works with Oulook or Thunderbird to read messages but also to write their post in newsgroup.

FUD Forum it's ok for me and for who works with browser, but I have many colleagues that work with email client.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 May 2012 06:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Send post by email [message #167140 is a reply to message #167130] Wed, 02 May 2012 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Motiak is currently offline  Motiak   United States
WhiteTiger wrote on Wed, 02 May 2012 02:09
It's Ok, but then they cannot write a message from email client.
Who works with usenet newsgroups usually works with Oulook or Thunderbird to read messages but also to write their post in newsgroup.

FUD Forum it's ok for me and for who works with browser, but I have many colleagues that work with email client.

We have FUDforum running with Web/NNTP/Email posting by syncing Web and NNTP with FUDforum and syncing NNTP and mail via Mailman's NNTP<->Mail gateway.
Re: Send post by email [message #167145 is a reply to message #167140] Thu, 03 May 2012 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhiteTiger is currently offline  WhiteTiger   
Motiak ha scritto in data Wed, 02 May 2012 11:21

We have FUDforum running with Web/NNTP/Email posting by syncing Web and NNTP with FUDforum and syncing NNTP and mail via Mailman's NNTP<->Mail gateway.

Perhaps you have some forums with sync from/to NNTP and other forums with Mail Gateway, but separated.
If I already sync a forum with NNTP I cannot sync it ALSO with mail gateway.
Or if it is possible, I was not able to do it.

Re: Send post by email [message #167232 is a reply to message #167145] Sun, 20 May 2012 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thirdbrain is currently offline  thirdbrain
Ok, I too have my forum up and running now with email notifications.

The above is what I require for my users as well as some will only use email to post.

I have seen Baens Bar uses Mailman.

Is there a tutorial on how to enable my users to reply to the posts on the forum via email only rather than clicking reply and being taken to the forum?

All help gratefully received.

Thank you

Re: Send post by email [message #167233 is a reply to message #167145] Sun, 20 May 2012 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhiteTiger wrote on Thu, 03 May 2012 00:39

Perhaps you have some forums with sync from/to NNTP and other forums with Mail Gateway, but separated.

Sorry, I never saw this. What you have to do is run all your forums to sync with NNTP and then use mailman to sync between mail and NNTP, not the built-in FUDforum Gateway.
Re: Send post by email [message #167234 is a reply to message #167232] Sun, 20 May 2012 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thirdbrain wrote on Sun, 20 May 2012 11:21
Ok, I too have my forum up and running now with email notifications.

The above is what I require for my users as well as some will only use email to post.

I have seen Baens Bar uses Mailman.

Is there a tutorial on how to enable my users to reply to the posts on the forum via email only rather than clicking reply and being taken to the forum?

All help gratefully received.

Thank you

I don't believe there's a tutorial, I had to do it all custom from the ground up. I can try and reach back in my memory and remember exactly what I did if you want though.
Re: Send post by email [message #167913 is a reply to message #167233] Mon, 12 November 2012 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THUFIR is currently offline  THUFIR   Canada
Motiak wrote on Sun, 20 May 2012 11:10
WhiteTiger wrote on Thu, 03 May 2012 00:39

Sorry, I never saw this. What you have to do is run all your forums to sync with NNTP and then use mailman to sync between mail and NNTP, not the built-in FUDforum Gateway.

Is it not possible to make a forum available as a mailing list? I think I have the same aim as the original poster, so please excuse the thread hijack.
Re: Send post by email [message #167921 is a reply to message #167913] Mon, 12 November 2012 12:01 Go to previous message
THUFIR wrote on Mon, 12 November 2012 01:34
Is it not possible to make a forum available as a mailing list? I think I have the same aim as the original poster, so please excuse the thread hijack.

It's possible to link forums to mailing lists, but I had issues with threading in NNTP when I tried to link through mailman to NNTP. However, I think that was because mailman rewrites your messageids which I had to turn off anyway for NNTP->Mail because it messes up threading regardless.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: How do I setup email?
Next Topic: cannot create mailing list of forum
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 14:04:28 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02770 seconds