FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » Synchronize to mailing list not sending anything to list (Synchronize to mailing list not sending anything to list)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Synchronize to mailing list not sending anything to list [message #167386] Wed, 13 June 2012 18:49 Go to next message
deadesq is currently offline  deadesq
I'm returning to FUDForum after a couple years away, and I'm impressed at the progress that has been made on it since the 2.x version I originally was trying to set up. But I'm stymied by an issue right now.

We have a Mailman list that I'm trying to synchronize with FUDForum. I currently have a phpBB2 board doing this, but the forum software is so outdated with phpBB2, I'm tired of maintaining it and dealing with spammers on the board. So, I'm trying to go back to FUDForum. The importation is working fine with an IMAP mailbox that is a member on the Mailman list, but posts directly on the FUDForum board are not going back to the Mailman list. I can't get any error messages, and the cron job is importing correctly. Do I need to schedule a cron job of some kind to run an out-going mail, too, or does the option to synchronize to the mailing list take care of that? If so, it's not working, and I'm not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated!

dave
Re: Synchronize to mailing list not sending anything to list [message #167387 is a reply to message #167386] Wed, 13 June 2012 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
All you need to do is enable "Synchronize Forum Posts to Mailing List" in the Mailing List Manager. Imported messages (old) will not be mailed out, only new posts made by users on the forum. Check if you get mail related errors in the forum's Error Log Viewer.
Re: Synchronize to mailing list not sending anything to list [message #167388 is a reply to message #167387] Wed, 13 June 2012 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deadesq is currently offline  deadesq
I have that option selected, but it's still not sending anything to the list. I've tried with the built-in sendmail, as well as with an external SMTP server. Nothing seems to be going out. I'm not even getting registration confirmation emails from the list.

naudefj wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 15:08
All you need to do is enable "Synchronize Forum Posts to Mailing List" in the Mailing List Manager. Imported messages (old) will not be mailed out, only new posts made by users on the forum. Check if you get mail related errors in the forum's Error Log Viewer.

Re: Synchronize to mailing list not sending anything to list [message #167392 is a reply to message #167388] Thu, 14 June 2012 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Can your PHP installation/ system send mail?
Check by implementing a simple mail.php script to e-mail something to yourself.
Re: Synchronize to mailing list not sending anything to list [message #167396 is a reply to message #167392] Thu, 14 June 2012 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
deadesq is currently offline  deadesq   United States
That's where I started--a simple sendmail script. That wasn't working, so that's what led me to the issue ultimately. Since others may have it and others may have solved it, I'll describe it a bit. My email is handled through Google Apps, so I have a different MX record for incoming and outgoing mail than my web provider uses. So, when sendmail tries to send, it fails because it is looking for the internal mail function not Google Apps. I don't have access to the hosts file to edit that, so the web provider did a custom php.ini for the sendmail function. It's still not working the way it should, though, so I'm continuing to troubleshoot. I am able to send with the simple sendmail script now, but FUDForum is still not sending correctly. I'll keep plugging away, though.

I have tried setting up the SMTP server, too, in FUDForum, but that's not doing anything, at least with the mailing list manager synchronizing to the Mailman list. I haven't seen if it's sending email otherwise.

Does that make sense?
Re: Synchronize to mailing list not sending anything to list [message #167397 is a reply to message #167396] Thu, 14 June 2012 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Have you tried Google's SMTP server? Enable SMTP, server is smtp.gmail.com, user is your full gmail address and password is your gmail password. This will only work if you enabled "Use SMTP To Send E-mail" in your GMail settings.

This may also help:
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78799
Re: Synchronize to mailing list not sending anything to list [message #167398 is a reply to message #167397] Thu, 14 June 2012 15:36 Go to previous message
deadesq is currently offline  deadesq   United States
That was the first thing I tried after I figured out it might be an issue with Google Apps. It did not work. Now--the only place I see to set the SMTP server is in the Global Settings Manager. Is there another place to put SMTP settings so that the Mailing List Manager will send email?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Import problem at fud30_msg
Next Topic: Mailing List to Forum
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 14:06:42 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02833 seconds