FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Improved Usermanagement (from a professional AD Environment) (displaying usernames+real names)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Improved Usermanagement (from a professional AD Environment) [message #168759] Wed, 17 July 2013 09:25
captain picard is currently offline  captain picard   Austria
hi, as i mentioned before, at the improved ldap-plugin thread, i tried to use the alias funtion for the actual release (3.0.4) to VIEW the usernames+real names everywhere. to get this i decided to modify the ldap-plugin to set the alises the way i wanted, with seems to be not a good idea at all, as

1. the alias is totally reseted by switching 'Use Aliases' off and on again in the general settings.
2. i ran into some encoding issues of äöüß (after UTF8-decoding from ad-server i tried to escape these characters for the alias field with their entities - wich resultet in users impossible to find over the group manager - as the alias is finally stored e.g. as "usr001 (Üser/r25n Testkonto)" and CANT be found anymore... i've described the bug of usermanger looking for aliases and not usernames here)

a better idea would be creating general setting for "VIEWING-scemes" of usernames/aliases/realnames:

e.g. general user viewing scemes:
( ) "username" - default
( ) "username (realname)"
( ) "Name Gname"
( ) "Gname Name"
( ) "alias"
ect. at the general settings

i'm willing to use it at a domain environment, where many departements are administering their own usergroups, but with around 8000 users and their potential membership, the user administration (group membership administration) has to be improved somehow.

the easiest way of doing this, would be to view their users real names beneath the usernames at the group manager (and within its search help - where a multiple select + a custom profile-parameter to search users with*, eg. 'dept' in my case, would be necessary).

* this way could make it very easy to administer whole groups of users where the information of their department is allready stored up at the active directory server.

is there any documentation about the internal structure and organization of fud-forum to get in development easier than searching around...? i'd love to do the changes by myself but it seems to be not that easy to find the right chunks of code but which might be well organized...

cheers david

[Updated on: Thu, 18 July 2013 08:46]

Report message to a moderator

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Prevent replies to old posts
Next Topic: Highest Posting Members ?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 06:17:01 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01854 seconds