FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Forum Styles » Giving FUDforum a new look  () 2 Votes
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Giving FUDforum a new look [message #168871] Wed, 31 July 2013 18:48 Go to next message
cpreston is currently offline  cpreston   United States
I am extremely happy with the internals of FUDforum, but the front-facing look and how it is presented needs a major facelift. I am not the first to say this.

In addition to looking newer/fresher, like its competitors, it also needs a table-less design. Doing layout via tables has been a no-no for a while now, and i think FUDforum having a table-less design could give it a big marketing boost. (One of the things I'm going for.) I'd also like to add some features like "Most recent posts" on the right, like some of the other forums have. (I plan to make those modules that can be turned on/off in the Admin panel.)

For those of you not familiar with me, I have submitted a total of three enhancements to FUDforum in the months that I've been associated with it. I'm also finalizing development of a Joomla/FUDforum bridge that will be released soon as well. (It is developed and has gone through one QA round so far and has been resubmitted to development to work out some bugs. It is coming soon.)

Toward this end, I am going to pay a developer to create a table-less design that meets the objectives above, and then I'm going to submit this template back to the community. I need this for my websites where I am going to use FUDforum, and I believe FUDforum needs it to continue to market itself as a modern forum platform. So I will finish what I started. Wink (I say this because I see some posts from others that started this process that then disappeared.)

Why am I telling you this now? Because I'd like a few volunteers to take a look at the mockups as I go through the development process. I'd like to get your input on the design before I actually pay the developer to build it. It'll be better for all of us.

If you want to volunteer, respond to this post. Since I don't always get email responses from this forum when someone responds to a post, please also drop me an email at curtis at truthinit dot com.

Sound good?
Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #168872 is a reply to message #168871] Wed, 31 July 2013 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheDude is currently offline  TheDude   France
Sounds awesome !

I have seen that you have been active and very much implicated in FUDforum for quite some time, and being no coder myself, I also happen to run other forums like one with Xenforo and WoltLab Burning Board 3.0.

For me FUDforum is the best forum script, paid or unpaid at the moment, bar none. Now it's only the Themes that are to be redesigned before its worth as as script might be acknowledged for what it is, the best !

If I can help in voicing my opinion about the design, I'd be happy to do so !
Cheers

Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #168881 is a reply to message #168872] Fri, 02 August 2013 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   
Administrator
Core Developer
That would would be absolutely fantastic. Count me in as well.
Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #168882 is a reply to message #168881] Fri, 02 August 2013 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First, let me tell you about my plugin idea.

The current design that I'm working toward would be laid out like this forum:
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/

I don't mean necessarily the look of it. I mean the physical layout. Notice the column on the right. My idea is to support plugins that can run there as modules. You could install/enable/disable the plugins in the plugins section. If there are no plugins to run, the column would collapse. If there are plugins, then they would be displayed in the column.

I have two plugins already written: recent posts and hot posts
I also envision a generic HTML plugin that would display whatever HTML you put in it. (e.g. you could make a Welcome to FUDforum box like they have in VBulletin's forum)
One question I have is that if I have three plugins that all want to display their wares, where do I tell FUDforum what order to display them in? Here's my current thought:
- We create a special plugin type (e.g. module). To be that plugin type, you have to have be named Module:Module Name
- We create a section in the global config that queries all plugins that begin with Module: and lists them
- You are given a table where you enter the order number that each should go in
- You are given a choice about whether you want to display the modules on the left or the right
- You are given a choice about whether you want them only on the front page, or on all pages

What do you think?
Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #168883 is a reply to message #168882] Fri, 02 August 2013 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, what do you like/not like about these other forum layouts/designs?
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php
http://community.invisionpower.com
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewforum.php?f=49
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/

One thing I like is that the menu system is left to right. That's pretty standard, and I've never understood why FF puts the menu system (Members, Calendar, Search, etc) on the right.
I really like vBulletin's style. Clean, crisp, and bright.
I also really like IPS community. Different than vBulletin, but still bright and cheery.
I think phpBB's style is kind of the opposite of that. I think it and FF's border colors are dark and foreboding. Wink
Note that all of them use only two colors in their sites (not counting the multicolor phpbb logo). Everything is a shade of one color or the other.

I know these colors can be adjusted. I'm just focusing on the default colors and wanting them to be very pleasing, because I think most people don't change them.

One feature that FF has that none of these have is the ability to collapse forums. Not sure how important that is to you guys.

Do you have any other fora that you've seen that you like the design of? Post links!
Re : Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #168884 is a reply to message #168883] Fri, 02 August 2013 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheDude is currently offline  TheDude
Yep : I use xenforo on another forum I have.
This is the link to Xenforo community forum :
http://xenforo.com/community/

There's also WoltLab Burning Board.
I also happen to have a board running off it :
This is a features recap of BB 3. They are preparing a release candidate for WBB 4 in a few weeks.

My WBB 3 forum (of course it's a custom skin with custom logo) :
http://crimezone.org/index.php?page=Index

My Xenforo forum (in French):
http://retro-mania.org/index.php

I think that these two scripts are well worth cheking out, especially Xenforo, which is becoming more and more adopted by admins. vbulletin 5 is a mess and people resent it a lot.
You could also check out discussions at the Admin Zone, one of the biggest forum admins forum.
http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/index.php

Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #168885 is a reply to message #168884] Fri, 02 August 2013 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think the issues that people are having with vBulletin have anything to do with its default skin, though.

There are a few consistencies between the ones you point out:
- The use of blue as the other color (except your custom skin)
- The use of rounded corners

Interesting that XenForo uses that yellow/orange color instead of a gray variant as their other color.

XenForo also gives some interesting ideas on other modules we can put in the plugins column. (Who's Online, Forum Stats, Social Media)

[Updated on: Fri, 02 August 2013 20:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #168963 is a reply to message #168885] Sun, 11 August 2013 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Parrot
If I can return your helpfulness by commenting on your work in progress, sign me up.
Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #168964 is a reply to message #168963] Mon, 12 August 2013 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am in final negotiations w/the developers now. Once we agree on scope, etc, I'll have something to show you. Thanks for reaching out!
Re : Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #168965 is a reply to message #168964] Mon, 12 August 2013 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is really outstanding ! Kudos to you !

Re: Re : Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #168966 is a reply to message #168965] Mon, 12 August 2013 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Congrat me when I'm done. Wink
Re: Re : Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #169282 is a reply to message #168966] Wed, 18 September 2013 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joferma0 is currently offline  joferma0   Spain
I'm really looking forward to its consecution!
Re: Re : Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #169322 is a reply to message #169282] Wed, 25 September 2013 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've gotten quotes all over the place on this development... Still looking.
Re: Re : Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #183727 is a reply to message #169322] Sun, 17 November 2013 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingarthur01 is currently offline  kingarthur01
This is a nice conversation... Gives much of information!
Re: Re : Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #183735 is a reply to message #183727] Sun, 17 November 2013 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haven't forgotten this. Just one project in a much bigger project that turned out much more complex than I planned. Getting closer though.
Re: Re : Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #183977 is a reply to message #183735] Sat, 30 November 2013 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Watchman Monitoring is currently offline  Watchman Monitoring

Keep us posted. Thanks!
Re: Re : Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #184678 is a reply to message #183977] Wed, 15 January 2014 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GaryM is currently offline  GaryM   United States
Any new developments or mock ups ready to show? If you need any funding drop me a PM. I'm no developer but I have a sandbox for testing for anything that comes along.

Cheers!

Re: Re : Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185299 is a reply to message #184678] Mon, 17 March 2014 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oops. Had a big delay. Things got crazy in the real world. I'm about to hire the developer.
Re: Re : Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185327 is a reply to message #185299] Tue, 18 March 2014 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, officially contracted the guy last night. I've got high hopes here. He's very experienced w/developing for vbulletin. (Couldn't find anyone experienced in fudforum dev.)
Re: Re : Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185328 is a reply to message #185327] Tue, 18 March 2014 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good information! Let me know if you need funding, testing and such.

Re: Re : Re: Re : Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185330 is a reply to message #185328] Wed, 19 March 2014 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any funding would be greatly appreciated, but I'll reserve that until the final product is here. How's that?
Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185331 is a reply to message #168871] Wed, 19 March 2014 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheDude is currently offline  TheDude   France
I'd probably contribute when the time comes. Great news !

Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185333 is a reply to message #185331] Wed, 19 March 2014 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shaman is currently offline  Shaman   Canada

I'd contribute.

Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185340 is a reply to message #185333] Wed, 19 March 2014 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright. I've got him working on it now. It'll take him a while to wrap his brain around the tempting system, of course. Wink My goal is to have this new template really take FUDforum into its next life. I think it's a great forum system that just looks really old.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 March 2014 19:48]

Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185346 is a reply to message #185340] Wed, 19 March 2014 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpreston wrote on Wed, 19 March 2014 15:46
I think it's a great forum system that just looks really old.
The forum runs like a tank, like my half million mile 30 year old Toyota truck, one that could sure could use a new paint job.

Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185354 is a reply to message #185346] Thu, 20 March 2014 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nailed it!
Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185440 is a reply to message #185354] Mon, 31 March 2014 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
cpreston wrote on Thu, 20 March 2014 06:36
Nailed it!

Sounds like you are making good progress.
Can you maybe share the new theme with us so we can test it as well?
Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185442 is a reply to message #185440] Mon, 31 March 2014 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cpreston is currently offline  cpreston   
As part of the new look, i also felt that FUDforum needed a modern logo as well. I gave the project to the folks at design crowd, and this is what they came up with:

http://www.designcrowd.com/vote/fud-forum-logo-poll

PLEASE VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE LOGO.

AS to the actual template/theme, I will definitely show it when I something to show you, yes. I plan to first share the mockup once he's done w/that. (He is to prepare a mockup first.)

It should be weeks now.
Re : Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185444 is a reply to message #185442] Mon, 31 March 2014 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Voted ! <comment deleted lest it influence others>
Looks good Smile

Re: Re : Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185451 is a reply to message #185444] Tue, 01 April 2014 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Voted!

Good stuff!

Re: Re : Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185455 is a reply to message #185451] Tue, 01 April 2014 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you haven't voted for the new logo, please do so here:
http://www.designcrowd.com/vote/fud-forum-logo-poll
Re: Re : Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185463 is a reply to message #185455] Wed, 02 April 2014 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The winner of the logo design content, after all the votes are counted, is... (Drum Roll)

The Cheetah!!! (Actually colors will be matched to our final theme.)

It actually was my personal favorite, and the one I would have picked if it was just up to me. Luckily the populace (and naudefj) agreed with me.

i know some of you picked another logo, so let me sell you on this one. The thing that FUDforum has over many of its competitors is speed. This logo advertises that speed every time anyone sees it. That's what I asked for in the contest. Show me a logo that emphasizes speed. When I saw the cheetah, I was like... Yes!

Alright. It will be a while before we see this logo anywhere, as the theme is still being developed and will take a while. But at least you can see it when you want. Wink
Re: Re : Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185465 is a reply to message #185463] Wed, 02 April 2014 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Great choice! Would you mind if I start using this logo in the control panel?
Re: Re : Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185466 is a reply to message #185465] Wed, 02 April 2014 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not at all. It would also look good in the Wiki, too. There's at least three different logos there.
Re: Re : Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #185467 is a reply to message #185466] Wed, 02 April 2014 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only thing is that the colors may change.
Re : Re: Re : Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #186467 is a reply to message #185467] Thu, 14 August 2014 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any updates on the new look for Fudforum ?

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #186559 is a reply to message #186467] Wed, 01 October 2014 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, now I finally have an update. I thought I had a developer on it, but he quit on me. Then it took me a while to find another one.

Now I have a new guy on it and he's actually worked with FUDforum before.

Yippee! I've asked him to give me a mockup first before he starts developing. I'll let you see it for comment when that happens.

Hey, Frank, I'm looking for the tips for when you're making your own template but I'm not finding them.
Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #186561 is a reply to message #186559] Thu, 02 October 2014 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Great news, I've been looking forward to this for quite some time.

See Create a new theme and Template Editor.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 October 2014 09:54]

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #186641 is a reply to message #186561] Mon, 20 October 2014 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is the mockup of the new look. What do you think?

A few things to note:
1. The main menu has been moved toe the left the way most other programs are
2. The angel and text logo has been replaced with a place to put your actual logo. There's still room for a banner and the search bar.
3. Note the boxes on the right. Those will be plugins that can be enabled/disabled and displayed on the left or right side.
4. Colors can change. Right now he's using the colors of the logo.
5. The design would be fully responsive.
6. The login menu option has been removed in favor of putting the actual login up there.

This is just a mockup, so if you have suggestions now's the time.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 October 2014 10:07]

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Giving FUDforum a new look [message #186643 is a reply to message #186641] Mon, 20 October 2014 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
The image is very small and it's difficult to see what's going on.
Pages (2): [1  2    »]  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Right Sidebar Content
Next Topic: Theme "Myths"
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:05:51 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05003 seconds