FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Imported messages » comp.lang.php » grep in php?
Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
| Subscribe to topic | Bookmark topic 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
grep in php? [message #179408] Sat, 20 October 2012 06:04 Go to next message
houghi is currently offline  houghi
Messages: 45
Registered: September 2011
Karma: 0
Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
I am looking how to do a grep in php. I have a variable(1) with very much
random data.

I want only to get lines that have certain words in it. As far as I can
see preg_grep does not work, as the data isn't an array.

I could use (exec grep ...), but I rather not.

I am looking for something that does:
$result = grep("word_I_look_for",$result);

(1)If it is easier, I can use a file instead of a variable.

houghi
--
I do not want life insurance.
I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

houghi
Re: grep in php? [message #179409 is a reply to message #179408] Sat, 20 October 2012 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Luuk is currently offline  Luuk
Messages: 329
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 20-10-2012 12:04, houghi wrote:
> I am looking how to do a grep in php. I have a variable(1) with very much
> random data.
>
> I want only to get lines that have certain words in it. As far as I can
> see preg_grep does not work, as the data isn't an array.
>

read the file contents into an array:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.file.php

> I could use (exec grep ...), but I rather not.
>
> I am looking for something that does:
> $result = grep("word_I_look_for",$result);
>
> (1)If it is easier, I can use a file instead of a variable.
>
> houghi
>
Re: grep in php? [message #179410 is a reply to message #179409] Sat, 20 October 2012 09:07 Go to previous message
houghi is currently offline  houghi
Messages: 45
Registered: September 2011
Karma: 0
Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Luuk wrote:
> On 20-10-2012 12:04, houghi wrote:
>> I am looking how to do a grep in php. I have a variable(1) with very much
>> random data.
>>
>> I want only to get lines that have certain words in it. As far as I can
>> see preg_grep does not work, as the data isn't an array.
>>
>
> read the file contents into an array:
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.file.php

OK, thanks for the pointer.

houghi
--
I do not want life insurance.
I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

houghi
Quick Reply
Formatting Tools:   
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic: Code "folding" in NetBeans IDE 7.2
Next Topic: Placement & Work Solution provider
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Dec 10 19:32:10 EST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00702 seconds