FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Imported messages » comp.lang.php » php unit testing - how to find the right person
Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
| Subscribe to topic | Bookmark topic 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
php unit testing - how to find the right person [message #180122] Wed, 09 January 2013 23:21 Go to next message
sunnysideup is currently offline  sunnysideup
Messages: 1
Registered: January 2013
Karma: 0
Junior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Hi

I am looking for someone who can write some php unit tests for me (see: http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/howto/phpunit-configuration). I have advertised on freelancer.com, but I am wondering if I should advertise somewhere else.

I cant pay a lot for this job (hardly anything in fact), but I think it is an interesting job: https://www.freelancer.com/projects/PHP/travis-test-for-Silverstripe-Applic ation.html that may should a sort of internship.

Any ideas on how to find a match for this project?

Nicolaas
Re: php unit testing - how to find the right person [message #180125 is a reply to message #180122] Thu, 10 January 2013 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Stuckle is currently offline  Jerry Stuckle
Messages: 2598
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 1/9/2013 11:21 PM, sunnysideup wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looking for someone who can write some php unit tests for me (see: http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/howto/phpunit-configuration). I have advertised on freelancer.com, but I am wondering if I should advertise somewhere else.
>
> I cant pay a lot for this job (hardly anything in fact), but I think it is an interesting job: https://www.freelancer.com/projects/PHP/travis-test-for-Silverstripe-Applic ation.html that may should a sort of internship.
>
> Any ideas on how to find a match for this project?
>
> Nicolaas
>

Sorry to say, I doubt you'll find anyone qualified to write that many
tests for as little as you're paying. And you need an experienced
person to write accurate unit tests - inexperienced people just don't
have the knowledge to know what to look for. You also need good
documentation of the modules so one knows what to look for.

If you want a cheap programmer, you'll get exactly what you pay for.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstucklex(at)attglobal(dot)net
==================
Re: php unit testing - how to find the right person [message #180128 is a reply to message #180125] Thu, 10 January 2013 13:25 Go to previous message
legalize+jeeves is currently offline  legalize+jeeves
Messages: 21
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Junior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
[Please do not mail me a copy of your followup]

Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex(at)attglobal(dot)net> spake the secret code
<kcmla6$dlf$1(at)dont-email(dot)me> thusly:

> On 1/9/2013 11:21 PM, sunnysideup wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am looking for someone who can write some php unit tests for me
> (see:
> http://doc.silverstripe.org/framework/en/howto/phpunit-configuration).
> I have advertised on freelancer.com, but I am wondering if I should
> advertise somewhere else.
>>
>> I cant pay a lot for this job (hardly anything in fact), but I think
> it is an interesting job:
> https://www.freelancer.com/projects/PHP/travis-test-for-Silverstripe-Applic ation.html that may should a sort of internship.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to find a match for this project?
>>
>> Nicolaas
>>
>
> Sorry to say, I doubt you'll find anyone qualified to write that many
> tests for as little as you're paying.

Having written a PHP application using TDD and unit testing, I'd
agree. My project: <http://manx.codeplex.com>.

Just browsing through the code on github, I see that the code is
coupled directly to other concrete objects and APIs, so it would need
some decoupling to be truly unit tested. For instance,
ExchangeRateProvider.php,
< https://github.com/sunnysideup/silverstripe-ecommerce/blob/master/code/mone y/ExchangeRateProvider.php>,
directly calls the curl API, so attempting to unit test that code is
going to invoke HTTP calls to a Yahoo API.

In my project, I decoupled myself from curl through an interface, but
this is extra work that would be needed to be done in order to test
the code in isolation for this code base.

> And you need an experienced
> person to write accurate unit tests - inexperienced people just don't
> have the knowledge to know what to look for. You also need good
> documentation of the modules so one knows what to look for.

I agree. It wasn't obvious to me how many classes are in this code
(the few directories I looked at under the code directory seemed to
have only a single file in them) and how many methods need to be
tested, etc. The two classes I did look at had coupling that would
need to be broken before true unit tests could be written.

> If you want a cheap programmer, you'll get exactly what you pay for.

Ain't it always this way?
--
"The Direct3D Graphics Pipeline" free book <http://tinyurl.com/d3d-pipeline>
The Computer Graphics Museum <http://computergraphicsmuseum.org>
The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals.classiccmp.org>
Legalize Adulthood! (my blog) <http://legalizeadulthood.wordpress.com>
Quick Reply
Formatting Tools:   
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic: Weekly PHP Newsletter
Next Topic: Reset Auto Increment to lower value
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Wed Dec 13 00:41:24 EST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00539 seconds