FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Imported messages » comp.lang.php » PHP form generator
Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
| Subscribe to topic | Bookmark topic 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
PHP form generator [message #181719] Mon, 27 May 2013 17:12 Go to next message
Charles is currently offline  Charles
Messages: 13
Registered: February 2011
Karma: 0
Junior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Does anyone have software they can suggest for generating an HTML input form and the php backend script for adding records to a database?

I'm developing a web application, and I'm about half way through the MySQL end of it, but I'm daunted by the idea of hand coding 35'ish HTML and php files for data entry.

Has anyone written software that takes the MySQL structure and generates both an HTML input page suitable for editing and the php script that links it to the MySQL table it's based upon?
Re: PHP form generator [message #181720 is a reply to message #181719] Mon, 27 May 2013 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M. Strobel is currently offline  M. Strobel
Messages: 386
Registered: December 2011
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Am 27.05.2013 23:12, schrieb Charles:
> Does anyone have software they can suggest for generating an HTML input form and the php backend script for adding records to a database?
>
> I'm developing a web application, and I'm about half way through the MySQL end of it, but I'm daunted by the idea of hand coding 35'ish HTML and php files for data entry.
>
> Has anyone written software that takes the MySQL structure and generates both an HTML input page suitable for editing and the php script that links it to the MySQL table it's based upon?
>

Could you be more precise? The internet search for php form generator turns up a lot
of hits.

The problem has been solved many times, but every time with different dependencies.
In this NG you will generally find people who prefer to code it themselves instead of
trying to read, analyze and debug other people's code.

/Str.
Re: PHP form generator [message #181721 is a reply to message #181719] Mon, 27 May 2013 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Vilain is currently offline  Michael Vilain
Messages: 88
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
In article <ede17d74-5f3d-46ad-acbb-03bb103dc09c(at)googlegroups(dot)com>,
Charles <cchamb2(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Does anyone have software they can suggest for generating an HTML input form
> and the php backend script for adding records to a database?
>
> I'm developing a web application, and I'm about half way through the MySQL
> end of it, but I'm daunted by the idea of hand coding 35'ish HTML and php
> files for data entry.
>
> Has anyone written software that takes the MySQL structure and generates both
> an HTML input page suitable for editing and the php script that links it to
> the MySQL table it's based upon?

I haven't come across anything that does the form generation and the
database update portion in a server-side php script. 'Fraid you're
stuck doing the 35 forms and data entry by hand, just like the rest of
us.

That is, unless you use a CMS to manage your content and some sort of
form plug-in to store the data.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button! DeeDee! NO! Dee...
[I filter all Goggle Groups posts, so any reply may be automatically ignored]
Re: PHP form generator [message #181722 is a reply to message #181720] Mon, 27 May 2013 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles is currently offline  Charles
Messages: 13
Registered: February 2011
Karma: 0
Junior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Monday, May 27, 2013 2:45:56 PM UTC-7, M. Strobel wrote:
> Am 27.05.2013 23:12, schrieb Charles:
>
>> Does anyone have software they can suggest for generating an HTML input form and the php backend script for adding records to a database?
>
>>
>
>> I'm developing a web application, and I'm about half way through the MySQL end of it, but I'm daunted by the idea of hand coding 35'ish HTML and php files for data entry.
>
>>
>
>> Has anyone written software that takes the MySQL structure and generates both an HTML input page suitable for editing and the php script that links it to the MySQL table it's based upon?
>
>>
>
>
>
> Could you be more precise? The internet search for php form generator turns up a lot
>
> of hits.
>
>
>
> The problem has been solved many times, but every time with different dependencies.
>
> In this NG you will generally find people who prefer to code it themselves instead of
>
> trying to read, analyze and debug other people's code.
>
>
>
> /Str.

Sure.

The database backend is second nature. I can create the tables and normalize them at the same time, and the interrelationship should be quite valid.

What I'd like to find is use a software package that will retrieve the table structure and create both a generic input form in HTML, as well as the corresponding PHP script to go with it, for that table. That way, I can start cutting and pasting blocks of code instead of having to write it character by character, line by line.
Re: PHP form generator [message #181724 is a reply to message #181719] Mon, 27 May 2013 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bill is currently offline  bill
Messages: 310
Registered: October 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 5/27/2013 5:12 PM, Charles wrote:
> Does anyone have software they can suggest for generating an HTML input

form and the php backend script for adding records to a database?
>
> I'm developing a web application, and I'm about half way through

the MySQL end of it, but I'm daunted by the idea of hand coding


35'ish HTML and php files for data entry.
>
> Has anyone written software that takes the MySQL structure and

generates both an HTML input page suitable for editing and the php

script that links it to the MySQL table it's based upon?
>

If you don't mind a short learning curve and this isn't a 1-time thing,
NoteTAB Pro can do an admirable job. It comes with a wealth of clips but
you can also create your own clip/s to use as templates.
It has a free and paid version, very reasonably priced and is a
proven application. Rolling your own is easily possible with it,
especially if you have several files that need a similar clip (template)
to work in.

Regards,
Re: PHP form generator [message #181728 is a reply to message #181722] Mon, 27 May 2013 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas 'PointedEars'  is currently offline  Thomas 'PointedEars'
Messages: 701
Registered: October 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Charles wrote:

> On Monday, May 27, 2013 2:45:56 PM UTC-7, M. Strobel wrote:
>> Am 27.05.2013 23:12, schrieb Charles:
>>> Has anyone written software that takes the MySQL structure and
>>> generates both an HTML input page suitable for editing and the php
>>> script that links it to the MySQL table it's based upon?
>>
>> Could you be more precise? The internet search for php form generator
>> turns up a lot of hits.
>>
>> The problem has been solved many times, but every time with different
>> dependencies.
>>
>> In this NG you will generally find people who prefer to code it
>> themselves instead of trying to read, analyze and debug other people's
>> code.
>
> Sure.
>
> The database backend is second nature.

“Did you mean: ‘is secondary’?”

> I can create the tables and normalize them at the same time, and the
> interrelationship should be quite valid.
>
> What I'd like to find is use a software package that will retrieve the
> table structure and create both a generic input form in HTML, as well as
> the corresponding PHP script to go with it, for that table. That way, I
> can start cutting and pasting blocks of code

“Did you mean: ‘write loops’?”

> instead of having to write it character by character, line by line.

Good luck.

Please trim your quotes to the relevant minimum, do not use Google Groups
for posting (your quotes are not only full quotes, they are also badly
formatted), and get a real name.


PointedEars
--
> If you get a bunch of authors […] that state the same "best practices"
> in any programming language, then you can bet who is wrong or right...
Not with javascript. Nonsense propagates like wildfire in this field.
-- Richard Cornford, comp.lang.javascript, 2011-11-14
Re: PHP form generator [message #181730 is a reply to message #181722] Mon, 27 May 2013 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter H. Coffin is currently offline  Peter H. Coffin
Messages: 245
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Mon, 27 May 2013 15:34:07 -0700 (PDT), Charles wrote:

> The database backend is second nature. I can create the tables and
> normalize them at the same time, and the interrelationship should be
> quite valid.
>
> What I'd like to find is use a software package that will retrieve the
> table structure and create both a generic input form in HTML, as well
> as the corresponding PHP script to go with it, for that table. That
> way, I can start cutting and pasting blocks of code instead of having
> to write it character by character, line by line.

This is the kind of thing for which Ruby on Rails was designed for. It
is, however, not covered by this group, so I can't recommend more than
read up some, and find an accomodating Ruby venue. I got only so far as
a couple of experiments and concluding "Wow, this is pretty nifty if I
ever need to roll up entry pages in ten minutes." So I'm not even a good
resource either.

--
22. No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I
will not consume any energy field bigger than my head.
--Peter Anspach's list of things to do as an Evil Overlord
Re: PHP form generator [message #181732 is a reply to message #181722] Tue, 28 May 2013 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Natural Philosoph is currently offline  The Natural Philosoph
Messages: 993
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 27/05/13 23:34, Charles wrote:
> On Monday, May 27, 2013 2:45:56 PM UTC-7, M. Strobel wrote:
>> Am 27.05.2013 23:12, schrieb Charles:
>>
>>> Does anyone have software they can suggest for generating an HTML input form and the php backend script for adding records to a database?
>>> I'm developing a web application, and I'm about half way through the MySQL end of it, but I'm daunted by the idea of hand coding 35'ish HTML and php files for data entry.
>>> Has anyone written software that takes the MySQL structure and generates both an HTML input page suitable for editing and the php script that links it to the MySQL table it's based upon?
>>
>>
>> Could you be more precise? The internet search for php form generator turns up a lot
>>
>> of hits.
>>
>>
>>
>> The problem has been solved many times, but every time with different dependencies.
>>
>> In this NG you will generally find people who prefer to code it themselves instead of
>>
>> trying to read, analyze and debug other people's code.
>>
>>
>>
>> /Str.
> Sure.
>
> The database backend is second nature. I can create the tables and normalize them at the same time, and the interrelationship should be quite valid.
>
> What I'd like to find is use a software package that will retrieve the table structure and create both a generic input form in HTML, as well as the corresponding PHP script to go with it, for that table. That way, I can start cutting and pasting blocks of code instead of having to write it character by character, line by line.
well that of course is something you write a library for.

e.g. supose you have a fueld that will take one on many values and you
want to use aselect boix.,

write a function that takes as arguments the name of the post variable
to be set, anda set of X y screen co-ordinates and an associative array
of the name/value pairs of all thepossible values.

There's a basic building block you can use.

Same for text or numerical input (you can even have a bit of javascript
for input validation) and/or radio buttons.

Your database update is a one line sql statement.
..
All you have to do is write a series of arrays of name-value pairs and
some name, x, y, type,vaklue statements somewhere, and build a little
bit of code to scan them and call your form primitives.



--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
Re: PHP form generator [message #181733 is a reply to message #181719] Tue, 28 May 2013 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tony Marston is currently offline  Tony Marston
Messages: 57
Registered: November 2010
Karma: 0
Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
"Charles" wrote in message
news:ede17d74-5f3d-46ad-acbb-03bb103dc09c(at)googlegroups(dot)com...
>
> Does anyone have software they can suggest for generating an HTML input
> form and the php backend script for adding records to a database?
>
> I'm developing a web application, and I'm about half way through the MySQL
> end of it, but I'm daunted by the idea of hand coding 35'ish HTML and php
> files for data entry.
>
> Has anyone written software that takes the MySQL structure and generates
> both an HTML input page suitable for editing and the php script that links
> it to the MySQL table it's based upon?

I suggest you take a look at Radicore (http://www.radicore.org) which was
purpose built to do exactly what you want. You import your database schema
into the data dictionary, then export each table definition to produce one
class per table. Then you generate user transactions which create the
scripts to create/read/update/delete each table. The whole
import/export/generate process can be done in 5 minutes, and you don't have
to write a single line of PHP, HTML or SQL. The generated transactions only
perform the basic functions with default behaviour, but you can customise
them to your heart's content.

All scripts are controlled through the Role Based Access Control (RBAC)
system, so you can easily control which user has access to which scripts.

--
Tony Marston

http://www.tonymarston.net
http://www.radicore.org
Re: PHP form generator [message #181734 is a reply to message #181728] Tue, 28 May 2013 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles is currently offline  Charles
Messages: 13
Registered: February 2011
Karma: 0
Junior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Monday, May 27, 2013 5:14:14 PM UTC-7, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Charles wrote:
>

>> The database backend is second nature.
>
>
>
> “Did you mean: ‘is secondary’?”

No, the database back end has required little thought. The data entry forms and support php scripts are the subject of my query.


>> can start cutting and pasting blocks of code
>
>
>
> “Did you mean: ‘write loops’?”
>
>
>
>> instead of having to write it character by character, line by line.

No, I mean reusing the foundation code.

>
> Please trim your quotes to the relevant minimum, do not use Google Groups
>
> for posting (your quotes are not only full quotes, they are also badly
>
> formatted), and get a real name.

What was quoted was relevant, just understated, and it is my real name.
Re: PHP form generator [message #181736 is a reply to message #181733] Tue, 28 May 2013 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Stuckle is currently offline  Jerry Stuckle
Messages: 2598
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 5/28/2013 2:25 AM, Tony Marston wrote:
> "Charles" wrote in message
> news:ede17d74-5f3d-46ad-acbb-03bb103dc09c(at)googlegroups(dot)com...
>>
>> Does anyone have software they can suggest for generating an HTML
>> input form and the php backend script for adding records to a database?
>>
>> I'm developing a web application, and I'm about half way through the
>> MySQL end of it, but I'm daunted by the idea of hand coding 35'ish
>> HTML and php files for data entry.
>>
>> Has anyone written software that takes the MySQL structure and
>> generates both an HTML input page suitable for editing and the php
>> script that links it to the MySQL table it's based upon?
>
> I suggest you take a look at Radicore (http://www.radicore.org) which
> was purpose built to do exactly what you want. You import your database
> schema into the data dictionary, then export each table definition to
> produce one class per table. Then you generate user transactions which
> create the scripts to create/read/update/delete each table. The whole
> import/export/generate process can be done in 5 minutes, and you don't
> have to write a single line of PHP, HTML or SQL. The generated
> transactions only perform the basic functions with default behaviour,
> but you can customise them to your heart's content.
>
> All scripts are controlled through the Role Based Access Control (RBAC)
> system, so you can easily control which user has access to which scripts.
>

Yes, if you want one of the biggest pieces of junk on the internet,
Radicore is a good place to start.


--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstucklex(at)attglobal(dot)net
==================
Re: PHP form generator [message #181743 is a reply to message #181736] Wed, 29 May 2013 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tony Marston is currently offline  Tony Marston
Messages: 57
Registered: November 2010
Karma: 0
Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
"Jerry Stuckle" wrote in message news:ko2lgj$ftn$2(at)dont-email(dot)me...
>
> On 5/28/2013 2:25 AM, Tony Marston wrote:
>> "Charles" wrote in message
>> news:ede17d74-5f3d-46ad-acbb-03bb103dc09c(at)googlegroups(dot)com...
>>>
>>> Does anyone have software they can suggest for generating an HTML
>>> input form and the php backend script for adding records to a database?
>>>
>>> I'm developing a web application, and I'm about half way through the
>>> MySQL end of it, but I'm daunted by the idea of hand coding 35'ish
>>> HTML and php files for data entry.
>>>
>>> Has anyone written software that takes the MySQL structure and
>>> generates both an HTML input page suitable for editing and the php
>>> script that links it to the MySQL table it's based upon?
>>
>> I suggest you take a look at Radicore (http://www.radicore.org) which
>> was purpose built to do exactly what you want. You import your database
>> schema into the data dictionary, then export each table definition to
>> produce one class per table. Then you generate user transactions which
>> create the scripts to create/read/update/delete each table. The whole
>> import/export/generate process can be done in 5 minutes, and you don't
>> have to write a single line of PHP, HTML or SQL. The generated
>> transactions only perform the basic functions with default behaviour,
>> but you can customise them to your heart's content.
>>
>> All scripts are controlled through the Role Based Access Control (RBAC)
>> system, so you can easily control which user has access to which scripts.
>>
>
> Yes, if you want one of the biggest pieces of junk on the internet,
> Radicore is a good place to start.
>
>

You wouldn't know quality if it crawled up your leg and bit you in the a*se.

--
Tony Marston

http://www.tonymarston.net
http://www.radicore.org
Re: PHP form generator [message #181749 is a reply to message #181743] Wed, 29 May 2013 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas 'PointedEars'  is currently offline  Thomas 'PointedEars'
Messages: 701
Registered: October 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Tony Marston wrote:

> "Jerry Stuckle" wrote […]
>> On 5/28/2013 2:25 AM, Tony Marston wrote:
>>> "Charles" wrote […]:
>>>> Does anyone have software they can suggest for generating an HTML
>>>> input form and the php backend script for adding records to a database?
>>>>
>>>> I'm developing a web application, and I'm about half way through the
>>>> MySQL end of it, but I'm daunted by the idea of hand coding 35'ish
>>>> HTML and php files for data entry.
>>>>
>>>> Has anyone written software that takes the MySQL structure and
>>>> generates both an HTML input page suitable for editing and the php
>>>> script that links it to the MySQL table it's based upon?
>>>
>>> I suggest you take a look at Radicore (http://www.radicore.org) […]
>>
>> Yes, if you want one of the biggest pieces of junk on the internet,
>> Radicore is a good place to start.
>
> You wouldn't know quality if it crawled up your leg and bit you in the
> a*se.

That may be so. However, that I have to register with personal information
to just have a look at the source code of Radicore does not fill me with
confidence that it would be good quality (yes, I have noticed your Privacy
Policy). Never judge a book by its cover.

Also, <http://www.tonymarston.net/>, as referred to by your signature and
<http://www.radicore.org/about.php>, is 404-compliant here. Curiously
enough, <http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql/back-to-front.html> and the
like are not.

And I would strongly suggest that you say explicitly when you are
advertising your own software.


PointedEars
--
Danny Goodman's books are out of date and teach practices that are
positively harmful for cross-browser scripting.
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <cife6q$253$1$8300dec7(at)news(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk> (2004)
Re: PHP form generator [message #181751 is a reply to message #181719] Wed, 29 May 2013 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonathan Stein is currently offline  Jonathan Stein
Messages: 43
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Den 27-05-2013 23:12, Charles wrote:

> Does anyone have software they can suggest for generating an HTML input form and the php backend script for adding records to a database?

I often prefer CakePHP for projects with complex datamodels. It is
inspired by Ruby on Rails and if you stick to some naming conventions,
it can generate a complete application with create, read, update and
delete functionality just by reading your database layout.

Of course there are both pros and cons of different frameworks, but
let's not repeat these discussions. Have a look at CakePHP and judge for
yourself.

Regards

Jonathan
Re: PHP form generator [message #181752 is a reply to message #181743] Wed, 29 May 2013 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Stuckle is currently offline  Jerry Stuckle
Messages: 2598
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 5/29/2013 2:08 AM, Tony Marston wrote:
> "Jerry Stuckle" wrote in message news:ko2lgj$ftn$2(at)dont-email(dot)me...
>>
>> On 5/28/2013 2:25 AM, Tony Marston wrote:
>>> "Charles" wrote in message
>>> news:ede17d74-5f3d-46ad-acbb-03bb103dc09c(at)googlegroups(dot)com...
>>>>
>>>> Does anyone have software they can suggest for generating an HTML
>>>> input form and the php backend script for adding records to a database?
>>>>
>>>> I'm developing a web application, and I'm about half way through the
>>>> MySQL end of it, but I'm daunted by the idea of hand coding 35'ish
>>>> HTML and php files for data entry.
>>>>
>>>> Has anyone written software that takes the MySQL structure and
>>>> generates both an HTML input page suitable for editing and the php
>>>> script that links it to the MySQL table it's based upon?
>>>
>>> I suggest you take a look at Radicore (http://www.radicore.org) which
>>> was purpose built to do exactly what you want. You import your database
>>> schema into the data dictionary, then export each table definition to
>>> produce one class per table. Then you generate user transactions which
>>> create the scripts to create/read/update/delete each table. The whole
>>> import/export/generate process can be done in 5 minutes, and you don't
>>> have to write a single line of PHP, HTML or SQL. The generated
>>> transactions only perform the basic functions with default behaviour,
>>> but you can customise them to your heart's content.
>>>
>>> All scripts are controlled through the Role Based Access Control (RBAC)
>>> system, so you can easily control which user has access to which
>>> scripts.
>>>
>>
>> Yes, if you want one of the biggest pieces of junk on the internet,
>> Radicore is a good place to start.
>>
>>
>
> You wouldn't know quality if it crawled up your leg and bit you in the
> a*se.
>

Oh, I do, Tony. And I know crap when I see it. This is one huge load.
Even your tirade on OO shows how stoopid you are. My *real
programmer* friends get a big laugh out of it.

You don't even rate "Programmer wanna-be".

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstucklex(at)attglobal(dot)net
==================
Re: PHP form generator [message #181755 is a reply to message #181736] Wed, 29 May 2013 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles is currently offline  Charles
Messages: 13
Registered: February 2011
Karma: 0
Junior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:24:55 AM UTC-7, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> On 5/28/2013 2:25 AM, Tony Marston wrote:
>
>> "Charles" wrote in message
>
>> news:ede17d74-5f3d-46ad-acbb-03bb103dc09c(at)googlegroups(dot)com...
>
>>>
>
>>> Does anyone have software they can suggest for generating an HTML
>
>>> input form and the php backend script for adding records to a database?
>
>>>
>
>>> I'm developing a web application, and I'm about half way through the
>
>>> MySQL end of it, but I'm daunted by the idea of hand coding 35'ish
>
>>> HTML and php files for data entry.
>
>>>
>
>>> Has anyone written software that takes the MySQL structure and
>
>>> generates both an HTML input page suitable for editing and the php
>
>>> script that links it to the MySQL table it's based upon?
>
>>
>
>> I suggest you take a look at Radicore (http://www.radicore.org) which
>
>> was purpose built to do exactly what you want. You import your database
>
>> schema into the data dictionary, then export each table definition to
>
>> produce one class per table. Then you generate user transactions which
>
>> create the scripts to create/read/update/delete each table. The whole
>
>> import/export/generate process can be done in 5 minutes, and you don't
>
>> have to write a single line of PHP, HTML or SQL. The generated
>
>> transactions only perform the basic functions with default behaviour,
>
>> but you can customise them to your heart's content.
>
>>
>
>> All scripts are controlled through the Role Based Access Control (RBAC)
>
>> system, so you can easily control which user has access to which scripts.
>
>>
>
>
>
> Yes, if you want one of the biggest pieces of junk on the internet,
>
> Radicore is a good place to start.
>
>
>
>
>
> --
>
> ==================
>
> Remove the "x" from my email address
>
> Jerry Stuckle
>
> JDS Computer Training Corp.
>
> jstucklex(at)attglobal(dot)net
>
> ==================

Then how would you approach the problem?

I'm just thinking back to the days of Paradox, where you hit a button from a query and Paradox generated a generic form, saved it, and you could then edit it at will.
Re: PHP form generator [message #181756 is a reply to message #181755] Wed, 29 May 2013 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Stuckle is currently offline  Jerry Stuckle
Messages: 2598
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 5/29/2013 11:59 AM, Charles wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 28, 2013 9:24:55 AM UTC-7, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
>> On 5/28/2013 2:25 AM, Tony Marston wrote:
>>
>>> "Charles" wrote in message
>>
>>> news:ede17d74-5f3d-46ad-acbb-03bb103dc09c(at)googlegroups(dot)com...
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>> Does anyone have software they can suggest for generating an HTML
>>
>>>> input form and the php backend script for adding records to a database?
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>> I'm developing a web application, and I'm about half way through the
>>
>>>> MySQL end of it, but I'm daunted by the idea of hand coding 35'ish
>>
>>>> HTML and php files for data entry.
>>
>>>>
>>
>>>> Has anyone written software that takes the MySQL structure and
>>
>>>> generates both an HTML input page suitable for editing and the php
>>
>>>> script that links it to the MySQL table it's based upon?
>>
>>>
>>
>>> I suggest you take a look at Radicore (http://www.radicore.org) which
>>
>>> was purpose built to do exactly what you want. You import your database
>>
>>> schema into the data dictionary, then export each table definition to
>>
>>> produce one class per table. Then you generate user transactions which
>>
>>> create the scripts to create/read/update/delete each table. The whole
>>
>>> import/export/generate process can be done in 5 minutes, and you don't
>>
>>> have to write a single line of PHP, HTML or SQL. The generated
>>
>>> transactions only perform the basic functions with default behaviour,
>>
>>> but you can customise them to your heart's content.
>>
>>>
>>
>>> All scripts are controlled through the Role Based Access Control (RBAC)
>>
>>> system, so you can easily control which user has access to which scripts.
>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Yes, if you want one of the biggest pieces of junk on the internet,
>>
>> Radicore is a good place to start.
>>
>>
>>
>
> Then how would you approach the problem?
>
> I'm just thinking back to the days of Paradox, where you hit a button from a query and Paradox generated a generic form, saved it, and you could then edit it at will.
>

I have my own set of scripts I've developed and modified over the years.
It works fine for me.

However, I think CakePHP is a good solution.

Of course, if you're just looking for an easy way to add a few rows to a
database as an admin, PHPMyAdmin is a good way to go. But it's not for
casual users - it gives complete control over the database(s).

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstucklex(at)attglobal(dot)net
==================
Re: PHP form generator [message #181924 is a reply to message #181719] Mon, 24 June 2013 01:28 Go to previous message
Mladen Gogala is currently offline  Mladen Gogala
Messages: 13
Registered: December 2010
Karma: 0
Junior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Mon, 27 May 2013 14:12:41 -0700, Charles wrote:

> Does anyone have software they can suggest for generating an HTML input
> form and the php backend script for adding records to a database?
>
> I'm developing a web application, and I'm about half way through the
> MySQL end of it, but I'm daunted by the idea of hand coding 35'ish HTML
> and php files for data entry.
>
> Has anyone written software that takes the MySQL structure and generates
> both an HTML input page suitable for editing and the php script that
> links it to the MySQL table it's based upon?

Sounds like a job for MVC generators, like Cake or Symfony. I used Symfony
at one time and it was pretty good. Cake is probably more popular, due to
better accessibility of the literature. There is also something called
"project Laravel" which uses Symfony components. I am not particularly
interested in Laravel because the databases that I usually work with,
Oracle and DB2, are not among the supported ones. MySQL is, so you may
find it quite useful.



--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
Quick Reply
Formatting Tools:   
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic: deleted primary key can't be reused?
Next Topic: Microsoft SQL and PHP
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Dec 12 13:06:31 EST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00740 seconds