FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Imported messages » comp.lang.php » from mysql in associative array
Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
| Subscribe to topic | Bookmark topic 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
from mysql in associative array [message #183966] Fri, 29 November 2013 10:31 Go to next message
Knut Krueger is currently offline  Knut Krueger
Messages: 1
Registered: November 2013
Karma: 0
Junior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Hi to all, whats the best was to get to get one of two colums of an
database query in an array as the names of the associative array

means
mysql table
id value
1 green
2 red
3 blue
.....


should be

$array = array ( 'green ' => '1',
'red ' => '2',
'blue ' => '3' );


Regards Knut
Re: from mysql in associative array [message #183967 is a reply to message #183966] Fri, 29 November 2013 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony is currently offline  tony
Messages: 19
Registered: December 2010
Karma: 0
Junior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
In article <l7abvs$k7s$1(at)dont-email(dot)me>,
Knut Krueger <knut(dot)krueger(at)usa(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi to all, whats the best was to get to get one of two colums of an
> database query in an array as the names of the associative array
>
> means
> mysql table
> id value
> 1 green
> 2 red
> 3 blue
> ....
>
>
> should be
>
> $array = array ( 'green ' => '1',
> 'red ' => '2',
> 'blue ' => '3' );

I would do something like:

$array = array();

$sh = mysql_query("SELECT id,value FROM mytable", $db);
if ($sh) {
while ($ob = mysql_fetch_object($sh)) {
$array[$ob->value] = $ob->id;
}
$sh->finish();
}

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: tony(at)softins(dot)co(dot)uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
Play: tony(at)mountifield(dot)org - http://tony.mountifield.org
Re: from mysql in associative array [message #183968 is a reply to message #183967] Fri, 29 November 2013 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony is currently offline  tony
Messages: 19
Registered: December 2010
Karma: 0
Junior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
I wrote:
> In article <l7abvs$k7s$1(at)dont-email(dot)me>,
> Knut Krueger <knut(dot)krueger(at)usa(dot)com> wrote:
>> Hi to all, whats the best was to get to get one of two colums of an
>> database query in an array as the names of the associative array
>>
>> means
>> mysql table
>> id value
>> 1 green
>> 2 red
>> 3 blue
>> ....
>>
>>
>> should be
>>
>> $array = array ( 'green ' => '1',
>> 'red ' => '2',
>> 'blue ' => '3' );
>
> I would do something like:
>
> $array = array();
>
> $sh = mysql_query("SELECT id,value FROM mytable", $db);
> if ($sh) {
> while ($ob = mysql_fetch_object($sh)) {
> $array[$ob->value] = $ob->id;
> }
> $sh->finish();

Of course, that should be mysql_free_result($sh);

That's what I get for flipping between PHP and Perl DBI !

> }
>
> Cheers
> Tony
> --
> Tony Mountifield
> Work: tony(at)softins(dot)co(dot)uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
> Play: tony(at)mountifield(dot)org - http://tony.mountifield.org


--
Tony Mountifield
Work: tony(at)softins(dot)co(dot)uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
Play: tony(at)mountifield(dot)org - http://tony.mountifield.org
Re: from mysql in associative array [message #183969 is a reply to message #183968] Fri, 29 November 2013 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Natural Philosoph is currently offline  The Natural Philosoph
Messages: 993
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 29/11/13 15:40, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> I wrote:
>> In article <l7abvs$k7s$1(at)dont-email(dot)me>,
>> Knut Krueger <knut(dot)krueger(at)usa(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Hi to all, whats the best was to get to get one of two colums of an
>>> database query in an array as the names of the associative array
>>>
>>> means
>>> mysql table
>>> id value
>>> 1 green
>>> 2 red
>>> 3 blue
>>> ....
>>>
>>>
>>> should be
>>>
>>> $array = array ( 'green ' => '1',
>>> 'red ' => '2',
>>> 'blue ' => '3' );
>>
>> I would do something like:
>>
>> $array = array();
>>
>> $sh = mysql_query("SELECT id,value FROM mytable", $db);
>> if ($sh) {
>> while ($ob = mysql_fetch_object($sh)) {
>> $array[$ob->value] = $ob->id;
>> }
>> $sh->finish();
>
> Of course, that should be mysql_free_result($sh);
>
> That's what I get for flipping between PHP and Perl DBI !
>
Tsk It uses the deprecated Mysql functions..

I think if the query is 'order by id' and id is unique and you do a
myslqli_fetch_assoc then you can get the array already parcelled up with
red tape on.


>> }
>>
>> Cheers
>> Tony
>> --
>> Tony Mountifield
>> Work: tony(at)softins(dot)co(dot)uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
>> Play: tony(at)mountifield(dot)org - http://tony.mountifield.org
>
>


--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to
lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the
members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are
rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.
Re: from mysql in associative array [message #183970 is a reply to message #183969] Fri, 29 November 2013 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Stuckle is currently offline  Jerry Stuckle
Messages: 2598
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 11/29/2013 11:47 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 29/11/13 15:40, Tony Mountifield wrote:
>> I wrote:
>>> In article <l7abvs$k7s$1(at)dont-email(dot)me>,
>>> Knut Krueger <knut(dot)krueger(at)usa(dot)com> wrote:
>>>> Hi to all, whats the best was to get to get one of two colums of an
>>>> database query in an array as the names of the associative array
>>>>
>>>> means
>>>> mysql table
>>>> id value
>>>> 1 green
>>>> 2 red
>>>> 3 blue
>>>> ....
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> should be
>>>>
>>>> $array = array ( 'green ' => '1',
>>>> 'red ' => '2',
>>>> 'blue ' => '3' );
>>>
>>> I would do something like:
>>>
>>> $array = array();
>>>
>>> $sh = mysql_query("SELECT id,value FROM mytable", $db);
>>> if ($sh) {
>>> while ($ob = mysql_fetch_object($sh)) {
>>> $array[$ob->value] = $ob->id;
>>> }
>>> $sh->finish();
>>
>> Of course, that should be mysql_free_result($sh);
>>
>> That's what I get for flipping between PHP and Perl DBI !
>>
> Tsk It uses the deprecated Mysql functions..
>
> I think if the query is 'order by id' and id is unique and you do a
> myslqli_fetch_assoc then you can get the array already parcelled up with
> red tape on.
>

You think wrong (as usual). Other than using mysql_xxx instead of
mysqli_xxx, Tonly's response is accurate.

Personally I would have used mysqli_fetch_assoc, but you still need to
build the new array as Tony indicated - just using indexed entries in an
array instead of members of an object.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstucklex(at)attglobal(dot)net
==================
Re: from mysql in associative array [message #183971 is a reply to message #183968] Fri, 29 November 2013 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas 'PointedEars'  is currently offline  Thomas 'PointedEars'
Messages: 701
Registered: October 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Tony Mountifield wrote:

> I wrote:
>> In article <l7abvs$k7s$1(at)dont-email(dot)me>,
>> Knut Krueger <knut(dot)krueger(at)usa(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Hi to all, whats the best was to get to get one of two colums of an
>>> database query in an array as the names of the associative array
>>>
>>> means
>>> mysql table
>>> id value
>>> 1 green
>>> 2 red
>>> 3 blue
>>> ....
>>>
>>>
>>> should be
>>>
>>> $array = array ( 'green ' => '1',
>>> 'red ' => '2',
>>> 'blue ' => '3' );
>>
>> I would do something like:
>>
>> $array = array();

Unnecessary, and – as-is – confusing.

>> $sh = mysql_query("SELECT id,value FROM mytable", $db);

Unwise, see below.

>> if ($sh) {

Insufficient, RTFM.

>> while ($ob = mysql_fetch_object($sh)) {
>> $array[$ob->value] = $ob->id;
>> }

It is unnecessary and inefficient to create a stdObject instance just to
throw it away. mysql(i)_fetch_assoc() suffices here; however
mysqli_fetch_all() and friends in combination with array_map() is even more
efficient.

>> $sh->finish();
>
> Of course, that should be mysql_free_result($sh);

Of course, that should be *at least* mysqli_free_result($sh);

> That's what I get for flipping between PHP and Perl DBI !

That's what you get for not reading the newsgroup (sufficiently) before you
post. See also the warning in <http://php.net/mysql_free_result>.


PointedEars
--
Sometimes, what you learn is wrong. If those wrong ideas are close to the
root of the knowledge tree you build on a particular subject, pruning the
bad branches can sometimes cause the whole tree to collapse.
-- Mike Duffy in cljs, <news:Xns9FB6521286DB8invalidcom(at)94(dot)75(dot)214(dot)39>
Re: from mysql in associative array [message #183972 is a reply to message #183971] Fri, 29 November 2013 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Bacarisse is currently offline  Ben Bacarisse
Messages: 82
Registered: November 2013
Karma: 0
Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(at)web(dot)de> writes:

> Tony Mountifield wrote:
>> I wrote:
<snip>
>>> $sh = mysql_query("SELECT id,value FROM mytable", $db);
>
> Unwise, see below.
>
>>> if ($sh) {
>
> Insufficient, RTFM.

Can you say why?

<snip>
--
Ben.
Re: from mysql in associative array [message #183973 is a reply to message #183972] Fri, 29 November 2013 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas 'PointedEars'  is currently offline  Thomas 'PointedEars'
Messages: 701
Registered: October 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Ben Bacarisse wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(at)web(dot)de> writes:
>> Tony Mountifield wrote:
>>> I wrote:
> <snip>
>>>> $sh = mysql_query("SELECT id,value FROM mytable", $db);
>>
>> Unwise, see below.
>>
>>>> if ($sh) {
>>
>> Insufficient, RTFM.
>
> Can you say why?

Yes.


PointedEars
--
Prototype.js was written by people who don't know javascript for people
who don't know javascript. People who don't know javascript are not
the best source of advice on designing systems that use javascript.
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$8300dec7(at)news(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
Re: from mysql in associative array [message #183974 is a reply to message #183972] Fri, 29 November 2013 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denis McMahon is currently offline  Denis McMahon
Messages: 634
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 22:26:30 +0000, Ben Bacarisse wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(at)web(dot)de> writes:
>
>> Tony Mountifield wrote:
>>> I wrote:

>>>> if ($sh) {
>>
>> Insufficient, RTFM.
>
> Can you say why?

I'd guess tpel is postulating a resource with a non truthy value being
returned from mysql_query, although I also note that reading the manual
entry for mysql_query the section on return value does *_NOT_* contain
the standard warning about valid false return values.

'if ($sh) {}' appears to be fine according to the manual, which also
states that a resource is always truthy[1], unlike an int where 0 may be
a valid response that would evaluate as false, or a string where "" or
"0" could likewise be a valid return value which would evaluate to false.

The manual entry for array_search contains the following text in the
return value section:

"Warning

This function may return Boolean FALSE, but may also return a non-Boolean
value which evaluates to FALSE. Please read the section on Booleans for
more information. Use the === operator for testing the return value of
this function."

However the manual entry for mysql_query does not contain this warning.

Of course, tpel might have some other rationale and it's always possible
he's not just talking out of his arse again.

[1] http://php.net/manual/en/language.types.boolean.php

" When converting to boolean, the following values are considered FALSE:

the boolean FALSE itself
the integer 0 (zero)
the float 0.0 (zero)
the empty string, and the string "0"
an array with zero elements
an object with zero member variables (PHP 4 only)
the special type NULL (including unset variables)
SimpleXML objects created from empty tags

Every other value is considered TRUE (including any resource). "

--
Denis McMahon, denismfmcmahon(at)gmail(dot)com
Re: from mysql in associative array [message #183975 is a reply to message #183974] Fri, 29 November 2013 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Bacarisse is currently offline  Ben Bacarisse
Messages: 82
Registered: November 2013
Karma: 0
Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Denis McMahon <denismfmcmahon(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 22:26:30 +0000, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(at)web(dot)de> writes:
>>
>>> Tony Mountifield wrote:
>>>> I wrote:
>
>>>> > if ($sh) {
>>>
>>> Insufficient, RTFM.
>>
>> Can you say why?
>
> I'd guess tpel is postulating a resource with a non truthy value being
> returned from mysql_query, although I also note that reading the manual
> entry for mysql_query the section on return value does *_NOT_* contain
> the standard warning about valid false return values.
>
> 'if ($sh) {}' appears to be fine according to the manual, which also
> states that a resource is always truthy[1],

Sure -- mysql_query is documented to return FALSE or a resource -- so it
looks fine to me, as least as far as recent PHP versions go.

I suppose I'd have to ask in a more literal way to coax more information
from him, but I am not sure it's worth it.

<snip>
--
Ben.
Re: from mysql in associative array [message #183976 is a reply to message #183972] Fri, 29 November 2013 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jerry Stuckle is currently offline  Jerry Stuckle
Messages: 2598
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 11/29/2013 5:26 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(at)web(dot)de> writes:
>
>> Tony Mountifield wrote:
>>> I wrote:
> <snip>
>>>> $sh = mysql_query("SELECT id,value FROM mytable", $db);
>>
>> Unwise, see below.
>>
>>>> if ($sh) {
>>
>> Insufficient, RTFM.
>
> Can you say why?
>
> <snip>
>

Don't mind Pointed Head. He is unable to provide an intelligent
response to your question.

It actually is quite OK, because mysql_query will either return a
resource (which will always be non-false) or false.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry Stuckle
JDS Computer Training Corp.
jstucklex(at)attglobal(dot)net
==================
Re: from mysql in associative array [message #183980 is a reply to message #183971] Sat, 30 November 2013 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tony is currently offline  tony
Messages: 19
Registered: December 2010
Karma: 0
Junior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
In article <2908877(dot)REXbavQy2K(at)PointedEars(dot)de>,
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <php(at)PointedEars(dot)de> wrote:
>
> That's what you get for not reading the newsgroup (sufficiently) before you post.

I'm puzzled how you can determine for how long I have been reading the newsgroup
(quite a few years) from the fact that I rarely post to it.

.... not sufficiently puzzled to need an answer though.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: tony(at)softins(dot)co(dot)uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
Play: tony(at)mountifield(dot)org - http://tony.mountifield.org
Re: from mysql in associative array [message #183982 is a reply to message #183980] Sat, 30 November 2013 09:28 Go to previous message
Thomas 'PointedEars'  is currently offline  Thomas 'PointedEars'
Messages: 701
Registered: October 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Tony Mountifield wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <php(at)PointedEars(dot)de> wrote:
>> That's what you get for not reading the newsgroup (sufficiently) before
>> you post.
>
> I'm puzzled how you can determine for how long I have been reading the
> newsgroup (quite a few years) from the fact that I rarely post to it.

“richard”.


HTH

PointedEars
--
Danny Goodman's books are out of date and teach practices that are
positively harmful for cross-browser scripting.
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <cife6q$253$1$8300dec7(at)news(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk> (2004)
Quick Reply
Formatting Tools:   
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic: Regarding split text and match from data base
Next Topic: Review Copies Available for Learning FuelPHP for Effective PHP Development
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Dec 12 22:45:15 EST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01000 seconds