FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » Imported messages » comp.lang.php » How to code () inside quotes
Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
| Subscribe to topic | Bookmark topic 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
How to code () inside quotes [message #184230] Sun, 15 December 2013 17:20 Go to next message
Mr Oldies is currently offline  Mr Oldies
Messages: 241
Registered: October 2013
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
array("this (are) only a test")

what's the legal way of coding the (are)??
Re: How to code () inside quotes [message #184232 is a reply to message #184230] Sun, 15 December 2013 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim Streater is currently offline  Tim Streater
Messages: 328
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
In article <1lebkr5hftyc8(dot)16rx2wqqe9ifx$(dot)dlg(at)40tude(dot)net>, richard
<noreply(at)example(dot)com> wrote:

> array("this (are) only a test")
>
> what's the legal way of coding the (are)??

WTF are you talking about?

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines imposed,
nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted" -- Bill of Rights 1689
Re: How to code () inside quotes [message #184234 is a reply to message #184230] Sun, 15 December 2013 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Damon is currently offline  Richard Damon
Messages: 58
Registered: August 2011
Karma: 0
Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 12/15/13, 5:20 PM, richard wrote:
>
>
> array("this (are) only a test")
>
> what's the legal way of coding the (are)??
>

That sure looks legal to me! What makes you think it isn't legal?
Re: How to code () inside quotes [message #184238 is a reply to message #184230] Sun, 15 December 2013 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Johnson is currently offline  Scott Johnson
Messages: 196
Registered: January 2012
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 12/15/2013 2:20 PM, richard wrote:
>
>
> array("this (are) only a test")
>
> what's the legal way of coding the (are)??
>

You do realize just asking the question can get you arrested.

Scotty
Re: How to code () inside quotes [message #184241 is a reply to message #184238] Sun, 15 December 2013 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Natural Philosoph is currently offline  The Natural Philosoph
Messages: 993
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 16/12/13 00:57, Scott Johnson wrote:
> On 12/15/2013 2:20 PM, richard wrote:
>>
>>
>> array("this (are) only a test")
>>
>> what's the legal way of coding the (are)??
>>
>
> You do realize just asking the question can get you arrested.
>
> Scotty

...and if we told you we'd have to kill you.


--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to
lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the
members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are
rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a
diminishing number of producers.
Re: How to code () inside quotes [message #184242 is a reply to message #184241] Mon, 16 December 2013 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Oldies is currently offline  Mr Oldies
Messages: 241
Registered: October 2013
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 02:38:20 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> On 16/12/13 00:57, Scott Johnson wrote:
>> On 12/15/2013 2:20 PM, richard wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>> array("this (are) only a test")
>>>
>>> what's the legal way of coding the (are)??
>>>
>>
>> You do realize just asking the question can get you arrested.
>>
>> Scotty
>
> ..and if we told you we'd have to kill you.

BTDT.
next!
Re: How to code () inside quotes [message #184243 is a reply to message #184242] Mon, 16 December 2013 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tim Streater is currently offline  Tim Streater
Messages: 328
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
In article <1mu982ruwnyku(dot)8cguby3qiqbs(dot)dlg(at)40tude(dot)net>, richard
<noreply(at)example(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 02:38:20 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> On 16/12/13 00:57, Scott Johnson wrote:
>>> On 12/15/2013 2:20 PM, richard wrote:

>>>> array("this (are) only a test")
>>>>
>>>> what's the legal way of coding the (are)??

>>> You do realize just asking the question can get you arrested.

>> ..and if we told you we'd have to kill you.
>
> BTDT.
> next!

Next what? Cockup on your part? We await that with baited breath.

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines imposed,
nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted" -- Bill of Rights 1689
Re: How to code () inside quotes [message #184247 is a reply to message #184230] Mon, 16 December 2013 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arno Welzel is currently offline  Arno Welzel
Messages: 317
Registered: October 2011
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Am 15.12.2013 23:20, schrieb richard:

> array("this (are) only a test")
>
> what's the legal way of coding the (are)??

array("this (are) only a test")

Or what exactly is not "legal" there?


--
Arno Welzel
http://arnowelzel.de
http://de-rec-fahrrad.de
Re: How to code () inside quotes [message #184248 is a reply to message #184230] Mon, 16 December 2013 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norman Peelman is currently offline  Norman Peelman
Messages: 126
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On 12/15/2013 05:20 PM, richard wrote:
>
>
> array("this (are) only a test")
>
> what's the legal way of coding the (are)??
>

What are you expecting to happen?

--
Norman
Registered Linux user #461062
-Have you been to www.php.net yet?-
Re: How to code () inside quotes [message #184251 is a reply to message #184247] Mon, 16 December 2013 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denis McMahon is currently offline  Denis McMahon
Messages: 634
Registered: September 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:15:58 +0100, Arno Welzel wrote:

> Am 15.12.2013 23:20, schrieb richard:
>
>> array("this (are) only a test")
>>
>> what's the legal way of coding the (are)??
>
> array("this (are) only a test")
>
> Or what exactly is not "legal" there?

It should be:

$arr = array("This is only a test.");

or for a sub-array:

$arr = array( array( "This is only a test." ) );

--
Denis McMahon, denismfmcmahon(at)gmail(dot)com
Re: How to code () inside quotes [message #184259 is a reply to message #184251] Mon, 16 December 2013 16:02 Go to previous message
Thomas 'PointedEars'  is currently offline  Thomas 'PointedEars'
Messages: 701
Registered: October 2010
Karma: 0
Senior Member
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
Denis McMahon wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 11:15:58 +0100, Arno Welzel wrote:
>> Am 15.12.2013 23:20, schrieb richard:
>>> array("this (are) only a test")
>>>
>>> what's the legal way of coding the (are)??
>>
>> array("this (are) only a test")
>>
>> Or what exactly is not "legal" there?
>
> It should be:
>
> $arr = array("This is only a test.");
>
> or for a sub-array:
>
> $arr = array( array( "This is only a test." ) );

A wild guess, as the original code is syntactically correct, assuming it is
followed by β€œ;” (after optional whitespace). It is then parsed as follows:

array ( "this (are) only a test" ) ;
T_ARRAY ( T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING ) ;


PointedEars
--
When all you know is jQuery, every problem looks $(olvable).
Quick Reply
Formatting Tools:   
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic: Xml Loading special Characters
Next Topic: URL linking to 3d array
Goto Forum:
  

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 09:53:35 EDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00530 seconds