FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Bug Reports » Importing #n from a.b.cCannot fetch #n: 430 No such article: n (FUDforum 3.0.5 nntp import vulnerable to missing posts)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Importing #n from a.b.cCannot fetch #n: 430 No such article: n [message #185457] Tue, 01 April 2014 18:28 Go to next message
kbulgrien_gdst is currently offline  kbulgrien_gdst   United States
Faced with the disuse of a local nntp server (leafnode-2), and given a need for others to access content, I stumbled across FUDforum last week. In a few hours I found that FUDforum 3.0.5 could import messages from the server.

In some cases, however, a newsgroup had missing messages. Say message 1 was there, 2 was not, and 3 was. FUDforum import of the newsgroup would halt with:

Importing #n from a.b.cCannot fetch #n: 430 No such article: n

This is a serious problem. The import should be able to ignore messages that are missing on the server.

Fortunately, in my case, I was administrator of the server, and could create dummy messages on the server side (using administrator powers and hackery) to fill the holes and proceed with import. If nntp support is at all serious, this issue needs to be corrected.
Re: Importing #n from a.b.cCannot fetch #n: 430 No such article: n [message #185458 is a reply to message #185457] Tue, 01 April 2014 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   
Administrator
Core Developer
Something strange is going on here. We're looking for "423 no such article", but you get "430 no such article". Should be easy to check for both codes in nntp.inc.
Re: Importing #n from a.b.cCannot fetch #n: 430 No such article: n [message #185459 is a reply to message #185458] Tue, 01 April 2014 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   
Administrator
Core Developer
Please try patch @ http://sourceforge.net/p/fudforum/code/5769
Re: Importing #n from a.b.cCannot fetch #n: 430 No such article: n [message #185460 is a reply to message #185458] Tue, 01 April 2014 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I skimmed RFC3977 and seem to understand that 430 is returned when a reader requests a particular article (ARTICLE/HEAD/BODY/STAT/HDR commands). 423 appears to be prescribed for GROUP/OVER commands. I suppose knowing what FUDforum is sending to the news server could help one understand what is going on and where a misunderstanding of RFCs might be occurring. I'm no nntp expert though, and this is said after only a cursory review of one RFC related to the nntp protocol.
Re: Importing #n from a.b.cCannot fetch #n: 430 No such article: n [message #185462 is a reply to message #185460] Tue, 01 April 2014 22:18 Go to previous message
The patch permits import of a group with missing messages:

Importing #39 from vcsd.alpha
Importing #40 from vcsd.alpha - Cannot fetch #40: 430 No such article: 40
Importing #41 from vcsd.alpha - Cannot fetch #41: 430 No such article: 41
Importing #42 from vcsd.alpha - Cannot fetch #42: 430 No such article: 42
Importing #43 from vcsd.alpha

Thanks.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Error in confirmation email in Greek Language
Next Topic: NNTP import fails with charset issue
Goto Forum: