FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » FUD_CI Development status (The new generation of FUDforum, why it was born and it's development status)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
icon10.gif  FUD_CI Development status [message #186761] Mon, 23 February 2015 10:58 Go to next message
NeXuS is currently offline  NeXuS
Contributing Core Developer
Why this thread
This thread will be used to keep track of the development status, I will link to new threads every time something noticeable happens.

Roadmap
Link to the development roadmap on SourceForge.

2015/03/17 - Responsive FUD_CI
Quick and dirty look at FUD_CI on small screen devices

Alpha 0 is out
I repeat: this is alpha quality code, so there are missing features and possibly bugs. I tried to make it reasonably secure, but I know I can do more. Please be aware of this when installing it (may want to use a chroot, vm or whatever).

Also this requires the PHP-GD extension.

Please download this file to install.

First video about FUD_CI
Hello everyone, I just uploaded a video to Youtube describing the work I have been working on a new, more modern version of FUDforum.

If you're interested please watch the video and let me know!

[Updated on: Tue, 17 March 2015 06:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186762 is a reply to message #186761] Mon, 23 February 2015 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheDude is currently offline  TheDude
Hi,
Very interesting video ! It's funny because I have been so fed up with FUDforum's interface and clunkiness and intentions that will never end up in a true revamp of the software, that I had decided to try to hire someone to convert my forum to SMF.
I don't have any knowledge in coding but perhaps I can help in user feedback. If I haven't found anyone to convert before.
Good luck on a brave attempt to give new life to a dying script

Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186763 is a reply to message #186762] Mon, 23 February 2015 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, thanks for the kind words. For starters you could make a list of things that you find clunky or that you wish were there.

I can't promise any fast results, because I have a full time job and will soon be father of two, but I love FUD and I really think it deserves more... so I'll do my best. Smile
Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186764 is a reply to message #186763] Mon, 23 February 2015 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I'm a user on a number of other forums which have different scripts, like Xenforo, Woltlab BB, or even SMF.
What I like on FUDforum is the horizontal view on the messages template, but I think many things are clunky.
For instance when you click on a forum where there are unread messages, if you click once, the bulb won't stay lit even if there are other unread messages.
Then the theming is horrible. You CAN'T have a modern interface.
Likes are a joke, you can like a topic, but not a message.
The karma system is never used by my members because it's not seen by them.
The new messages are not clearly available, just "messages of the day" link.
The fonts are horrible, too.
The theme is not responsive, people with smartphones and tablets complain they can't access the forum comfortably.
Well I could go on like this forever

[Updated on: Mon, 23 February 2015 17:21]

Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186765 is a reply to message #186764] Mon, 23 February 2015 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see, thanks a lot and please write everything down: we need power users to tell us what is wrong! Smile

Also, I think that the light bulb things is actually a feature: it tells you if there are new messages since your last visit to the forum, not to the threads. I admit that it is silly (and I want to change it) but I think it is by design.
Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186766 is a reply to message #186765] Mon, 23 February 2015 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
By the way, here's a funny story.

A few years ago I was considering to replace PhpBB with SMF for a forum driven website (the front page would show posts from certain categories in the forum and display them with custom layout and CSS) but decided for FUDforum because of the vastly superior (IMHO) API. Smile

The result is that I am now rewriting FUD. Razz

[Updated on: Mon, 23 February 2015 17:27]

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186767 is a reply to message #186766] Mon, 23 February 2015 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it is some day recoded, will upgrade from existing fudforum be supported ?

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186768 is a reply to message #186767] Tue, 24 February 2015 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Absolutely yes!
Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186769 is a reply to message #186768] Tue, 24 February 2015 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GaryM is currently offline  GaryM   United States
If you need help testing, let me know. I have a test server here for my production forum changes and can run prototypes.

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186771 is a reply to message #186769] Tue, 24 February 2015 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the long run, do you see FUDforum still being developed, like other free scripts are, like SMF or phpBB ?

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186774 is a reply to message #186771] Tue, 24 February 2015 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I definitely think so. As I explained in the video, I believe that the lack of contributors is mainly due to two reasons:
  • the back-end code being old and hard to understand
  • the front-end code being overly complicated with the custom template language and the need for compilation

I still think that FUD has some big advantages, though:
  • in my experience it is faster than most competitors, even with big forums
  • the API is somewhat old but extremely powerful

So, yes, I believe that once I manage to rewrite everything (FUD 4?) then gathering new forces will be easier.
Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186775 is a reply to message #186774] Tue, 24 February 2015 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see folks come and go. cpreston had a new look in the works and sounds like that died on the vine. I see his logo work made into 3.0.6 but nothing after that.

I'll do my best to help, test and throw money at it. I see the wealth of determination in the beginning of these ideas to change but never see them come to light.

Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186776 is a reply to message #186775] Tue, 24 February 2015 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
+1
It seems that development ends up in boring people who start with lots of motivation and quickly exhaust themselves.
I wish I could do something to help this script becoming more modern, but I now I'm fed up with it.
I know of many people who got fed up with my own forum because of the lack of mobile devices support. They simply ceased to visit and that's a shame.
That's why I try to find someone to convert it to SMF

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186777 is a reply to message #186775] Tue, 24 February 2015 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I started development over two years ago, but had to stop due to real-life issues. Now I'm back and I plan on finish this thing.

Also, I think that cpreston would have had a much easier time if my work had been done earlier (I think you can see how easy it would be to create a theme with the new system in place).
Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186781 is a reply to message #186777] Wed, 25 February 2015 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could you give us an estimate of how many percent of work you've done so far, in your opinion ?

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186782 is a reply to message #186781] Wed, 25 February 2015 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would say that I am about 50% done with alpha quality code.
Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186783 is a reply to message #186782] Wed, 25 February 2015 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So a fully working script is to be expected in 2 years time, since you began development 2 years ago ? Wink Just kidding

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186786 is a reply to message #186782] Thu, 26 February 2015 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NeXuS wrote on Wed, 25 February 2015 18:37
I would say that I am about 50% done with alpha quality code.

Anything you can get us would be good. Mobile device support would be the #1 priority. Driving away the people is not a good thing. My forum is small in comparison. I don't hear a lot of complaints if any. My guess is we are vintage in nature so the forum software goes with the territory.

If you have any alpha or beta candidates for us to try let us know. I can apply my production base forum and have our users give plenty of feedback.

Let it rip!

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186787 is a reply to message #186786] Thu, 26 February 2015 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Gary. I'll do as much as I can to produce an Alpha ASAP so that we can get feedback from your users.
I will also try to keep this post updated with a roadmap.
Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186791 is a reply to message #186787] Wed, 04 March 2015 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
Running 3.0.6 RC2, will it be necessary to upgrade to 3.0.6 to install the CI version of FUDforum ?

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186792 is a reply to message #186791] Wed, 04 March 2015 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it will be necessary to upgrade to the latest stable release, whether it be 3.0.6 or something newer.
Tonight I hope to upload a new video.
Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186818 is a reply to message #186792] Wed, 11 March 2015 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just checking in to see if you have the new video? I would like to share with my user base if possible. Are you OK if we call you by your forum handle (NeXus) or do you have another name to go by?

Cheers!
Gary

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186819 is a reply to message #186818] Wed, 11 March 2015 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NeXuS is currently offline  NeXuS   Korea, Republic of
Sorry, I have had some real life issues: semester has started and my daughter is a little sick. I am trying my best to make some important security changes before I release an alpha and the new video.
Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186821 is a reply to message #186819] Thu, 12 March 2015 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Almost there, just finished implementing user registration.
Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186824 is a reply to message #186821] Thu, 12 March 2015 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NeXuS wrote on Thu, 12 March 2015 12:08

Awesome NeXus! Let me know if you need anything, kimchi, babysitter, funds ect...Wink

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186825 is a reply to message #186824] Thu, 12 March 2015 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GaryM wrote on Thu, 12 March 2015 22:23
NeXuS wrote on Thu, 12 March 2015 12:08

Awesome NeXus! Let me know if you need anything, kimchi, babysitter, funds ect...Wink

A babysitter would be quite useful indeed! Wink
Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186827 is a reply to message #186825] Fri, 13 March 2015 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First alpha is out, check first post.
Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186829 is a reply to message #186827] Fri, 13 March 2015 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome! I will load it this afternoon on our disaster recovery box. I will send out a link for those who want to try it out.

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186830 is a reply to message #186829] Fri, 13 March 2015 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Installed and running! Installation went without a hitch. Pretty good for an alpha release!

I will keep it in it's generic form for now. Later on I will try restoring a data dump of my production forum and see how that goes.

Some observations:

-Security credentials do not carry over when switching from main to the ACP panel. Requires you to login everytime.
-Rebuilding of the default theme doesn't seem to work though it says it was rebuilt successfully. I tried changing the header image but no changes took place. (Edit) I see that we're not using the theme/default/images directory, I found an "images" directory in the root of my web. files.

-Cannot register new users. Missing Captcha generator.
index.php?t=getfile&id=6551&private=0
  • Attachment: captcha.jpeg
    (Size: 52.25KB, Downloaded 5344 times)

[Updated on: Fri, 13 March 2015 22:27]

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186831 is a reply to message #186830] Fri, 13 March 2015 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Gary, all you describe is absolutely normal.

GaryM wrote on Sat, 14 March 2015 06:37

-Security credentials do not carry over when switching from main to the ACP panel. Requires you to login everytime.

I know, this is because the current alpha uses two distinct cookies, so I just link to the ACP login page every time.

-Rebuilding of the default theme doesn't seem to work though it says it was rebuilt successfully. I tried changing the header image but no changes took place. (Edit) I see that we're not using the theme/default/images directory, I found an "images" directory in the root of my web. files.

You don't need to rebuild themes. All you need to change are the views (application/views/fud) and the CSS (theme/default/theme.css) and images (images/).

-Cannot register new users. Missing Captcha generator.

As I stated earlier at this time the PHP-GD extension is required for the captcha to work. I will try to remove dependencies later on.
If you're on Ubuntu you can install PHP-GD via: apt-get install php5-gd as root (or using sudo).

[Updated on: Fri, 13 March 2015 23:59]

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186832 is a reply to message #186831] Sat, 14 March 2015 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks NeXuS! I'm on Fedora and went ahead and installed the php5-gd extension.I able to register new users now. In fact if folks here want to give it a try, go ahead.

php errors on new post [message #186833 is a reply to message #186832] Sat, 14 March 2015 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You might know about this one. I'm getting this error when trying to post a new topic.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function fix_relative_urls() in /home/curvex/public_html/fudci/application/controllers/fud/Main.php on line 872
A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Error

Filename: fud/Main.php

Line Number: 872

Re: php errors on new post [message #186834 is a reply to message #186833] Sat, 14 March 2015 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Funny, I though I had removed that call. You can replace the offending line with the following:
$data['html_body'] = $this->parser->parse('fud/post.php',$data,true);

Be aware that smileys will not render correctly (that fix_relative_urls function was there for that purpose).
Re: php errors on new post [message #186835 is a reply to message #186834] Sat, 14 March 2015 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NeXuS wrote on Sat, 14 March 2015 14:36
Funny, I though I had removed that call. You can replace the offending line with the following:
$data['html_body'] = $this->parser->parse('fud/post.php',$data,true);

Be aware that smileys will not render correctly (that fix_relative_urls function was there for that purpose).

Thank you! Posting messages now works.Wink

Aw: Re: php errors on new post [message #186842 is a reply to message #186835] Sun, 15 March 2015 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alopezie is currently offline  alopezie   Germany
Thx a lot for starting to push Fudforum.

Its a pitty that this nice Software suffers from some minor things ... which can be disturbing I know
But looking even at the well known names its a brilliant software, which runs like a workhorse.
We have now more than 325.000 posts in just 1 of our forums, and its quick and safe.

The key point in my opinion is the visual.
- just the theme used in this forum here is a nightmare
- Css / mobile responsivity is now standard, although I admit that with new mobiles having usually more than 1000px width its already much less critical than it used to be

I´m also not a coder, so no chance to really help you there. What could be an option is to hire a coder from Fiverr for specific tasks, no problem to support this.
Also I might look into a new theme, which is a bit more "friendly" at least in terms of colours and optics

What most people underestimate: With just header, footer and Css and some images the visual impact can change dramatically, without too much effort.

Alopezie.de - das Forum zum Thema Haarausfall

[Updated on: Sun, 15 March 2015 14:58]

Re: Aw: Re: php errors on new post [message #186843 is a reply to message #186842] Sun, 15 March 2015 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think most of us would agree if we could get visually optimized for iPhone and Android devices, that would be the biggest gain. Maybe a plug-in could be developed as an interim solution, somthing similar to vBulletin's Mobile Suite?

Everyone pretty much agrees this software runs like a tank. One of the traits that we should never let lapse. The security is top notch and the plug-in functionality is just as good. Getting back-door access to the files and database are a crucial for hosting domains that doesn't allow CLI access. Wonder if we could come up some kind of terminal shell interface through the ACP? Yeah, I'm reaching here. Wink

Re: Aw: Re: php errors on new post [message #186845 is a reply to message #186843] Mon, 16 March 2015 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that the best solution would be to have a responsive theme, which is why I am using Pure CSS. Admittedly I am not the best web designer, so it might take me some time to finalize everything. But don't despair, FUDf will look great on mobile too!

P.S. a terminal interface in ACP is definitely feasible, but the problem is that not everyone runs FUDf on Linux or BSD, and I am not sure of whether there is a decent solution for Windows.

[Updated on: Mon, 16 March 2015 07:37]

Re: Aw: Re: php errors on new post [message #186848 is a reply to message #186845] Tue, 17 March 2015 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2015/03/17 - Responsive FUD_CI
Quick and dirty look at FUD_CI on small screen devices
Re: Aw: Re: php errors on new post [message #186863 is a reply to message #186848] Mon, 23 March 2015 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is there a reason why the alpha build is based on a 3.0.5 branch?

Re: Aw: Re: php errors on new post [message #186864 is a reply to message #186863] Mon, 23 March 2015 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
The reason is as simple as: I didn't yet update the branch too 3.0.6!
I told you this thing has been in development for a while now... Smile
Pages (2): [1  2    »]  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: FUDforum's IRC chat channel
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:43:24 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02998 seconds