FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » FUD_CI Development status (The new generation of FUDforum, why it was born and it's development status)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: Aw: Re: php errors on new post [message #186889 is a reply to message #186864] Mon, 04 May 2015 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davidleads is currently offline  davidleads
Where is the feature list for the new build? Im interested to know if this works flawlessly on mobiles??

Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186890 is a reply to message #186762] Tue, 05 May 2015 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GaryM is currently offline  GaryM   United States
TheDude wrote on Mon, 23 February 2015 16:56
I had decided to try to hire someone to convert my forum to SMF.
I don't have any knowledge in coding but perhaps I can help in user feedback. If I haven't found anyone to convert before.
Good luck on a brave attempt to give new life to a dying script

Dam Dude! I see your already on-board with SMF. Your site rocks with that new forum software. I saw the conversion scripts for Fud on their site. Did you have any issues with the conversion? I'm seriously considering getting off the dying vine myself. I love Fud but the new looks and features of SMF are telling me that grass is greener on the other side.

Cheers!

Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186891 is a reply to message #186890] Wed, 06 May 2015 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheDude is currently offline  TheDude
Hi,
The script developed by margarett, who is a member of the support team, worked quite well. If you decide to migrate to SMF, he will surely help you until you're satisfied.
Guy's great, and knows SMF perfectly.
I surely don't regret switching.

icon5.gif  Aw: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186892 is a reply to message #186891] Wed, 06 May 2015 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alopezie is currently offline  alopezie   Germany
Some time ago I did set-up SMF on one of my sites, and I admit the experience was not really convincing.
Okay, SMF has many "nice themes" at first glace, but it is quite difficult to work on the themes if you want some more modifications.
Spamming was another big problem, and despite some addons it only stoped when I fully stopped registration option by modifying code.

It was a while ago, but there were many more options which I was missing. Maybe some where added in the meantime.
But for me as well the missing threaded-view feature in SMF is another no-go, and this limitation still seems to be there

Alopezie.de - das Forum zum Thema Haarausfall
Re : Aw: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186893 is a reply to message #186892] Wed, 06 May 2015 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheDude is currently offline  TheDude
There are many ways of stopping spam, with botscout and stopforumspam, as well as as many questions you want to add, and also a (not very good) captcha.
I'm not interested in having other themes than default, and there are lots of plug-ins which add tons of features.
I don't regret switching

Re: Re : Aw: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186894 is a reply to message #186893] Wed, 06 May 2015 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GaryM is currently offline  GaryM   United States
The new captcha SMF uses is good, having you put a graphic puzzle together beats the captcha 2 system here on Fud. I'm not so much a fan on theme changes and kind of like SMF vanilla gui themes. I also like the main page setup, especially looking at bartopmania forum. Users can get a feel for what has happened or what is happening on the horizon, a good forecasting view in my opinion. The gallery plug-in is cool, something Fud should have had long time ago.

Aw: Re: Re : Aw: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186895 is a reply to message #186894] Wed, 06 May 2015 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alopezie is currently offline  alopezie   Germany
There is certainly different opinions of appearance. Sorry to say, I really would hate this theme in bartopmania. Fully overloaded. Looks like for kiddies.
But thats up to everyone ... and not a real point, as there is a wide choice of themes in SMF and certainly an (and maybe the only) advantage.

If looking for alternatives I definatly would prefer something like Woltlab, which has the power and also offers both threaded/flat options. Vbulletin, IPB, phpbb3, myBB ... all of them have their pros and cons

But for the moment I enjoy the power, speed and many admin options of Fudforum, and actually I hardly see any open wishes.
Long time ago I had added a coppermine gallery, but for couple of reasons (safty, spamming, legal problems with pics) I stopped.
There is an interesting option with "Elgg", which is a social network software, and for those looking for real interactions between users an interesting option.
But good luck for everyone finding its "best choice", for me its still clearly Fudforum.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 May 2015 20:56]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Aw: Re: Re : Aw: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #186896 is a reply to message #186895] Thu, 07 May 2015 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NeXuS is currently offline  NeXuS
Contributing Core Developer
OK guys, this is getting quickly off-topic. Anyways let me update this thread a little.

I have become father for the second time, as I mentioned I would, but the little guy decided that it is a good idea to sleep during the day and wake up at around 1 AM. As you might imagine this causes me quite a few problems: I barely have energies to do my daytime job, so development has come to a halt.

I would like to stress, though, that this is not a good-bye, just an hiatus.
Re: Aw: Re: php errors on new post [message #186897 is a reply to message #186889] Thu, 07 May 2015 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davidleads: You can check the top of this thread for planned features. I am developing a responsive theme too.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 May 2015 08:34]

Re: Aw: Re: php errors on new post [message #186903 is a reply to message #186897] Tue, 12 May 2015 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davidleads is currently offline  davidleads
Ok looking forward for the responsive theme. Thanks

[Updated on: Tue, 12 May 2015 22:08]

Re: Aw: Re: php errors on new post [message #186920 is a reply to message #186903] Tue, 30 June 2015 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All right, semester is over and my second little alien is letting me sleep. Time to get back to coding...
Aw: Re: Aw: Re: php errors on new post [message #186924 is a reply to message #186920] Tue, 07 July 2015 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alopezie is currently offline  alopezie   
That is good news.

Do you have a rough timetable how to proceeed ??

Re: Aw: Re: Aw: Re: php errors on new post [message #186932 is a reply to message #186924] Tue, 14 July 2015 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, no timetable, but there is the ROADMAP file that you can check out.
Right now I am refactoring the controllers for better readability and maintainability, and also to implement the missing features regarding messages, threads, etc. (edit, delete, lock, ...you name it).
Re: Aw: Re: Aw: Re: php errors on new post [message #186946 is a reply to message #186932] Wed, 12 August 2015 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NorCal is currently offline  NorCal   United States
Hello, I have an old forum with daily users, running abandonware. I have been looking for a supported threaded style forum to convert to and found FUDforum and I was initially very encouraged but after reading through the forums and wiki since yesterday I see some of the same problems that I'm dealing with e.g. lack of responsive design. Then I found this thread and it looks encouraging.

I also saw mentioned "FUDForum 4" but don't see it documented anywhere or any development. Would FUD-4 and FUD-CI be two separate developments?

Aw: Re: Aw: Re: Aw: Re: php errors on new post [message #186950 is a reply to message #186946] Tue, 25 August 2015 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alopezie is currently offline  alopezie   
If you look under Themes you'll see 2 responsive designs which I created and published. I'm running a responsive theme now for quite a while in my forum.

Fudforum 4 is under devlopement by NeXus and may take its time. Anyhow Fudforum 3 is already very mature with most likely more features you'll need, but also some kind of learning curve.
There are not many alternatives in threaded-style forums

[Updated on: Tue, 25 August 2015 19:30]

Re: Aw: Re: Aw: Re: Aw: Re: php errors on new post [message #186951 is a reply to message #186950] Thu, 27 August 2015 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NorCal is currently offline  NorCal   United States
thank you alopezie. I am going to try out Sensitiv and get a better sense of whether or not it is something that I can work with. Hopefully NeXus will give us an update in the near future.
Re: Aw: Re: Aw: Re: Aw: Re: php errors on new post [message #186952 is a reply to message #186951] Thu, 27 August 2015 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NeXuS is currently offline  NeXuS   Korea, Republic of
Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you all know that I am still working on FUDf, although the recent problems with SourceForge have slowed me down a little. Right know I am focusing on implementing the main features of the forum, including thread lock/unlock, message editing and deletion and so on. While restructuring the code I am also trying to figure out how to introduce smiley themes, and theme hierarchies, as well as how to allow for a native app for smartphones.

Sorry if it is taking this long, I really hoped I would have done it much quicker.
Re: Re : Re: Re : Introduction to FUD_CI [message #187475 is a reply to message #186766] Sat, 19 May 2018 03:12 Go to previous message
tallship is currently offline  tallship   Canada

NeXuS wrote on Mon, 23 February 2015 09:27
By the way, here's a funny story.

A few years ago I was considering to replace PhpBB with SMF for a forum driven website (the front page would show posts from certain categories in the forum and display them with custom layout and CSS) but decided for FUDforum because of the vastly superior (IMHO) API. Smile

The result is that I am now rewriting FUD. Razz
So how is that coming along? I just noticed that there was a new release (3.0.9) today. I'm assuming this instance is what the new version looks like.

I always liked FUDforum, preferred it back in the day to things like PhpBB and such, but over the years it looked aged and unmaintained so I didn't seriously consider it over other alternatives that had a more, 'modern' look.

One thing I noticed a couple of years back was that it simply wasn't keeping up with mobile based users in being fully responsive - that's a big deal breaker nowadays, So I'll have to come back in a few and check it on my phone.

Gosh, I don't think I've posted here since Ilia was pushing changes every few days. That guy was a madman coder. Totally awesome. If someone asked for something it would appear a couple of days later. Whatever happened to him anyway? What's the story there?

Pages (2): [ «    1  2]  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: FUDforum's IRC chat channel
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:23:22 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02375 seconds