FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Sending server mails (problems and fixes)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Sending server mails [message #186784] Thu, 26 February 2015 00:05 Go to next message
Atomicrun is currently offline  Atomicrun   Sweden
I have investigated how the server sends mail, and I sill use the 3.0.3
version of the software.
I found that, in case there is a problem sending a mail, the server simply drop the mail.
This is why it is so difficult to register to my forums -- you cannot register without the registration e-mail confirmation, and the server was not sending any mails.

I wrote a fix that write the mail into a text file.
Then the server try to empty all mails in the text file.
In case the mail go out OK, it is removed.
Using this I can send e-mails from the server even when the net cable is unplugged.

In the adm directory I glued-in the new routine so it is also used for mass-emails.
Ohh. using '\nBcc: list' for new-line isn't really functional. "\r\nBcc: " is better.

I have not updated the smtp send mail routine, so this remains to be fixed; I don't use it.

My question: Is this of relevance for the current, updated forum ??
//

Re: Sending server mails [message #186785 is a reply to message #186784] Thu, 26 February 2015 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GaryM is currently offline  GaryM   United States
No issues here running the current release.

Re: Sending server mails [message #186793 is a reply to message #186785] Wed, 04 March 2015 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Atomicrun is currently offline  Atomicrun   Sweden
My service provider require TLS for e-mails. No TLS, no mails! Typically you find an error that "TLS" -- "this stream do not support SSL/crypto". A search reveals that some can simply enable TSL/SSL, and the problem go away, while others (like me) are stuck with no solution. You must have a sufficiently updated Apache and PHP, or the solutions will not work.

I cannot run my own mail service; outgoing mails using such service is not allowed (blocked) on my server's connection. I must upload the mails like a PC mail software, to an account at my service provider.

My e-mail service provider -- they suddenly revealed that if sending to one of their own accounts, no checks is made on the e-mail, but when sending to external domains all checks (TLS) must pass, or the e-mail send will fail with an error. And I have been testing the e-mails using my ordinary account ... for some years ... Embarassed

My new e-mail routine store outgoing e-mails on disk, later sent out by a deamon-php, that can re-send in case there is a problem or if some admin adjustments are needed.

I found some minor problems in the existing code, here and there, such as errors due to empty "To:"; inconsistency if the "To:" is a string or an array, mail simply lost if the send routine cannot succeed possibly without any error. The mail-account e-mail will also usually be different from the server admin e-mail.

Likely will e-mail providers increase restrictions so if your mail works now, it can simply lock an any time.

I will run the software for some time; I'll see if I can cut-out a portable version in case this is of interest to others.

Re: Sending server mails [message #186822 is a reply to message #186793] Thu, 12 March 2015 12:12 Go to previous message
NeXuS is currently offline  NeXuS
Contributing Core Developer
This will be fixed in the next release of FUD. I plan to give admins the ability to use TLS if necessary, as CodeIgniter should support it straight out of the box.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Selected PDF
Next Topic: User selectable post order
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:00:47 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02159 seconds