FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Newbie Q: forums, categories, mailing lists (Tips on organizing a new discussion board)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Newbie Q: forums, categories, mailing lists [message #187407] Sun, 31 December 2017 18:55
mmt369 is currently offline  mmt369
In 2004 I set up a discussion board for a small group to develop a little known scientific area. It ran for 10 years but died, in part because the contributions were few and far between, and were not synced with a mailing list, in part for security reasons because the software developer shut down and the forum could not be updated. When I read that a FUDforum could be synced with a mailing list, I wanted to revive the old board. I have created a mailing list, but when I read the FUDforum documentation, I find I do not understand the three-way relationship between categories, forums, and the mailing list.

On my old board, there were five top-level areas: "Theory", "Experiments", "Software", "Documentation", and "Roughhouse Room" (where interpersonal disputes could be continued without moderation), each of which had many sub-areas. I don't remember whether they were called categories, forums, or something else. Under the sub-areas or sub-sub-areas there were various topics defined by the users. I want to achieve something very similar, and FUDforum forum itself seems to have the kind of structure I want, but I don't know how that structure is achieved. When I read the documentation, it seems that "Categories" must be a top level, under which one has forums. Moreover, my mailing list must be restricted to syncing with only one forum.

To me, the natural categories would be something like "Questions", "Answers", "Opinions", "Speculations", while forums would be the areas I mentioned above. Those categories would be natural sub-areas within each area (forum?), not top-level divisions under which the forums "Theory", "Experiments", etc. live. But then the mailing list would be synced only with "Theory" (and presumably not with "Theory/Speculative", "Theory/Accepted", "Theory/Mathematics" etc., nor with "Experiments" or any other top-level area).

Is there a tutorial somewhere that explains these relationships? Or can anyone help explain how to make a setup like that of the FUDforum in which every (or selected) areas sync to my mailing list by topic?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Tiny read/unread icons
Next Topic: Private forum question
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu May 09 13:07:55 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02292 seconds