FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » FUDforum 3.0.7 via CPanel (email to forum)
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
FUDforum 3.0.7 via CPanel (email to forum) [message #187555] Fri, 31 August 2018 15:42 Go to next message
tokyoprogressive is currently offline  tokyoprogressive   Japan
Hello.

I installed this on one of my sites.

Two questions.

1)
I was told that this software can receive posts by email but I do not see this in the instructions. Is this true, and if so, can you point me to the instructions? Can one also open a topic via email? (Actually, as the admin, I would like to limit making of new topics the moderators/admins. Is this possible?

2) CPanel tells me there is no update after this. Does this mean it is better to install but not use CPanel? Will it be a problem to use 3.0.7 ? What is the difference between this and the later version you ae using?

Thank you.

Paul in Japan
Re: FUDforum 3.0.7 via CPanel (email to forum) [message #187556 is a reply to message #187555] Fri, 31 August 2018 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   United States
Administrator
Core Developer
"The Mailing List Manager admin control panel allows the administrator to define mailing list rules that allow FUDforum to archive messages from a mailing list as well as allow the forum's own messages to be sent to the mailing list."

It's all documented at Mailing List Manager.
Re: FUDforum 3.0.7 via CPanel (email to forum) [message #187557 is a reply to message #187556] Sat, 01 September 2018 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=naudefj wrote on Fri, 31 August 2018 19:26]"The Mailing List Manager admin control panel allows the administrator to define mailing list rules that allow FUDforum to archive messages from a mailing list as well as allow the forum's own messages to be sent to the mailing list."

It's all documented at......

Thank you. That is very interesting. It is a little hard to understand for me, but I will try to understand more.

I understand I can EITHER import a mailing list into a forum, OR I can start a forum and allow it be send/receive by email.

But in detail I am confused and may need to ask my host. There are so many variables, so let me see if I can have some specific questions answered:

1) I currently have TWO email lists using MAILMAN (latest version) via CPANEL.

2) It is not clear if such an email list (discussion) is one of the acceptable ones here, but assuming it is...

3) It says only ONE email list per forum. So if I want to import BOTH my email lists in a forum, I need to create 2 forums? for example, this is a single forum with many categories and topics, so I am understanding such a form can only have a single imported forum. Or am I mistaken.

4) Once I import, it sounds like BOTH continue to exist.The MAILMAN List and the forum. If so, I would really prefer to have a single entity, EITHER a forum or a MAILING list. In that case, it sounds better to start fresh and create a FORUM that can asend and receive to/from email. One other reason: now in my email lists people are not careful about the subject. But if I had a forum, I could control the number of topics, requiring people to request a new topic if they need a new one. Easier to archive.

5) Am I on the right track? I was going to wait for Mailman 3 to start being more functional as it has a decent archive system and you can send from the archives. But it seems to be taking forever.

Last, your reply came to me via email but there was no way to post from email. Is that because post from email is not enabled for this forum? That is what I would like. Post to the list from either an email or the forum.

Thank you.

paul

PS

i am still unsure if it is is a problem that Cpanel has an older version with no options for upgrading.

Re: FUDforum 3.0.7 via CPanel (email to forum) [message #187558 is a reply to message #187556] Sat, 01 September 2018 11:44 Go to previous message
oops...I see there were links to the Forum in your email naudefj. They were in Dutch, so I did not realize it!

I am also wondering if one can elect the topic from email if it is the first time, or does one HAVE To start the topic in the forum.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Remote (REST) api to FUDForum
Next Topic: Which way is better-import mailman to Fund or Post to Mailman from Fund
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu May 09 19:54:44 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02612 seconds