FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Questions
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Questions [message #721] Sun, 24 February 2002 18:05 Go to next message
coppper6 is currently offline  coppper6   Turkey
Hi,
First of all fud forum seems one of the best forum software avaliable. I have some questions:
1. about usertags: can I assign specific functions to users and threads? first idea in mymind is to assign age concept to the suers. age,coming from the old days of BBSs, is simply total time amount spent online in the forums. second idea is rating users. For example, when a question is answered by a specific person that person may be ranked by the user asking the question. So there may be prizes for the people having the highest rank. how can these be implemented?
2. about templates: I think writing a templating solution from scratch is not necessary. modelixe.phpedit.com has a list. some are smarty, fasttemplates, templatepower (I'm not sure about its name), modelixe etc. Also how long does it take to implement a templating solution? I'm asking for this because I don't want to do design work twice one now and one after templating.
3. about security: These days security is more important than ever. Hence I hope the forum software have some input validation routine(s) checking for buffer overflows, executing OS and SQL commands, cross-site scripting, cookie manipulation, form field manipulation,URL manipulation (embedding SQL commands to URLs), meta and null characters. is there any that doesn't included in the software? One more thing, session key may be unusable after a certain time so a hacker cannot hijack.
4. will next version have a multi-lingual interface?
5. about performance: there are quite a few nice caching solutions. have anyone integrated a caching solution?
I have used jpcache (www.sourceforge.net/projects/jpcache) which is (one of) the fastest caching engine as the benchmarks show on their pages. But this may change for fud forum.

Sorry about the this long thread but I thought they might be useful ideas/questions.
Re: Questions [message #722 is a reply to message #721] Sun, 24 February 2002 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
1) The custom tags right now are merely strings on HTML that can be added to each user. Beyond that currently do not have any additional functionality. You can however add it quite easily if you so desire.

2) We are currently working on a template compiler for the forum. It is our intention to have the templates be pre-compiled so no work needs to be done real-time, thus not slowing down the forum's page generation. I have looked at several templating solutions such as Smartly and we may borrow some of the ides from them, however our needs are somewhat unique so we will definitely use "home brew". Since we are still developing the compiler I think it is a bit to early to give any time estimates.

3) We do a number of validation techniques and we have a VERY reliable & secure session mechanism, it would be quite difficult if not impossible for some to hijack a session by another user. Non the less as you've pointed out security is VERY important, so if you want to conduct a few security tests it would be highly appreciated.

4) The next major version WILL have templating and as such will support i18n. The different languages will appear when we get people to translate our text to those languages.

5) In the 1.2 release we've added numerous performance optimizations to the forum. I can safely say that the front page & thread views are the fastest from the 4 forums we've compared it to. The message display is about the same speed as everyone else, in some cases a little faster.
I recommend that people use mod_gzip apache module to compress their pages as it is WAY better then php's gzip wrapper, so I do not intend to add that functionality in to the forum.
As for page caching, on a dynamic forum such as FUDforum it would be counter productive since if a forum is @ all popular displayed data changes very quickly any caching solution would result in inaccurate data being displayed.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Questions [message #25324 is a reply to message #721] Mon, 06 June 2005 17:48 Go to previous message
Anonymous   Netherlands
No Message Body
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Automatic datadump...
Next Topic: More information in the members list
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 19 02:37:08 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04039 seconds