FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Archive feature
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Archive feature [message #11527] Fri, 04 July 2003 17:54 Go to next message
Anonymous   United States
besides pruning option you should have a archive feature. One that will remove the selected threads off the board and archive them instead of deleting them. Then you can prune immediately or at a later date if so desired. This will allow for more messages available for search feature without cluttering the index pages. This would be a very handy feature on the larger sites.

Just a suggestion
Stan
Re: Archive feature [message #12398 is a reply to message #11527] Wed, 06 August 2003 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Canada
I agree, archival can be very important, especially for medical forums. Even if it was just saved as a text file that would permit some type of searching
Re: Archive feature [message #12421 is a reply to message #12398] Thu, 07 August 2003 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AutoHost is currently offline  AutoHost   United States
Heh, good luck getting him to agree to adding archive feature! I'd like it too, but its been discussed before and Protoss was against it as I recall.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost

[Updated on: Thu, 07 August 2003 14:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Archive feature [message #12423 is a reply to message #12421] Thu, 07 August 2003 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Why would you want an archive feature when:

1) The forum does not delete old messages they are always there and you can search through them if the search is enabled or using the message navigator.

2) You can always create 'Old Message Archive' and move threads you consider old so that they don't clutter your other forums.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Archive feature [message #12630 is a reply to message #12423] Tue, 19 August 2003 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gbjbaanb is currently offline  gbjbaanb   United Kingdom
I can think of 1 reason - backups.

Currently, a huge forum will backup all the messages, whereas an archive feature would put those messages out of the forum and on some read-only repository (a big text file Smile ). Once archived, the forum will be smaller, backups will be easier.

My forum has a 10Mb datadump already, I hate to think how much data is copied off really big sites.

However, archiving is a tricky subject - where would you put the archived files so that they were accessible, yet not part of the forum?? I'm sure Protoss would consider it again, if someone could come up with a fully detailed explanation of *exactly* what was required, and how it'd work in practise.
Re: Archive feature [message #12631 is a reply to message #12630] Tue, 19 August 2003 03:49 Go to previous message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You can export messages to XML by date and there is your backup Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Group management - Downloading files.
Next Topic: css mouseover
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:33:22 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02341 seconds