FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » FUDforum 3.0+ » New in 2.6.0RC1
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13666 is a reply to message #13665] Wed, 22 October 2003 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tgaastra is currently offline  tgaastra   United States
Most of my users seem rather ambivalent to the changes, although I think it breaks the "flow" in reading posts from one to the next.

My only suggestion would be to make the "profile box" color a seperate, distinct one by default (a seperate class in the template if it isn't already, forgive me for not double-checking to see if its so at the moment), or to have it "bordered."
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13667 is a reply to message #13666] Wed, 22 October 2003 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Erhm the profile box color is already seperate from the message background (or are you referring to something else)? There is also a thin (1px) border around every element, do you want a different border?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13668 is a reply to message #13667] Wed, 22 October 2003 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, I figured as much (the profile box color element) but like I said, forgive me for not looking it up at the exact moment. If it's something that's easily set in the forum CSS, that's great. My memory isn't what it used to be.

My border suggestion was to have the 1px border also be around the profile box, so it would be "bordered off" from the body of the message. At least to me on this board currently (using either IE6 or Firebird .7) the difference between the profile box and the body text is the difference between a light blue and white... a dark line between them might help... just a suggestion.

Oh, maybe a dotted line....

[Updated on: Wed, 22 October 2003 00:31]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13671 is a reply to message #13668] Wed, 22 October 2003 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Could you show me an example?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13672 is a reply to message #13668] Wed, 22 October 2003 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
Well, I took a look and I see MAJOR changes to CSS actually!
When in 2.5.x (even before) you had RowStyleA, RowStyleB & RowStyleC, the combinations of which were used everywhere, now we have new classes - such as MsgR1 (the subject/date row), MsgR2 as user info row, and iside it - "msgud" for user info and "msgut" for user actions. So, in theory it can all be separately set. And it's good. As to the border - when you have a separate class, you can set whatever border style you want - dashed, grooved, botoom, all around, whatever - all with CSS! I see some more new classes, but well, that's already very relieving. Alhtough white space issues remain not too clear. I need to change the template for myself on 2.5.3 too, so I'll be thinking about it anyway. If I think of something clever, I'll show it in convenient form - got it!

Lady of Avalon
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13673 is a reply to message #13672] Wed, 22 October 2003 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yes, CSS file got a whole bunch of new classes etc... and inheritences in it now work properly. It should also be easier to edit since all of the CSS is 1 big file. So you can just copy & paste from an HTML editor.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13674 is a reply to message #13671] Wed, 22 October 2003 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
esm2002 is currently offline  esm2002   United States
Ilia wrote on Tue, 21 October 2003 21:01

Could you show me an example?

Mercy! A lot has gone on since I've been away. I have a bunch of reading to catch up on!

I'll put the kiss-of-death on one format merely by suggesting it as a good example: see http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=tree&th=2865&mid=13622& ;rid=0&rev=&reveal=

If you separate each message like you the topics ( the poster info would still be on top attached to the msg right underneath ), then it would look good and add a consistent throughout the forum.

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13675 is a reply to message #13671] Wed, 22 October 2003 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, crudely, using a bitmap editor since its late, and I don't have the time to rip up a piece of HTML to do it:

http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=844

I think a lightly dotted line (lighter than my example on the left, probably more like a 25% line MIGHT help seperate things out...

Whoops, the image upload code seems a bit messed up...Ah well, I can either mail it, or when I get time in the next few days, do a real HTML mockup... Probably not till the weekend though. Dang day job. Smile

• Attachment: untitled.PNG
    (Size: 14.55KB, Downloaded 1725 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 22 October 2003 05:01]

Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13678 is a reply to message #13674] Wed, 22 October 2003 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
esm2002 wrote on Tue, 21 October 2003 23:21

I'll put the kiss-of-death on one format merely by suggesting it as a good example: see http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=tree&th=2865&mid=13622& ;amp ;rid=0&rev=&reveal=

I actually like this format, there however a problem, FUDforum has a lot more information to display, if you can show me how to fit it all in. The maybe we can do something based on that layout.
Here is the list of (missing) fiels:
Add to buddy list, Ingore/Un-ingore, IP, Hostname, Location, Custom Tags, Regular tags, Avatar.

Quote:

If you separate each message like you the topics ( the poster info would still be on top attached to the msg right underneath ), then it would look good and add a consistent throughout the forum.

Not sure I understand, the topic list does not seperate each topic, there is a tiny white line, that's all. Perphaps you can show me what you mean....

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13679 is a reply to message #13678] Wed, 22 October 2003 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Various possibilities

The 1st 3 attachments represent possible revisions of 'flat' message view

The 2nd two represent possible revision of message tree view.

P.S. Please don't insert your attached images into the message, it makes the topic painfuly long to load.
  • Attachment: fud1.jpg
    (Size: 63.71KB, Downloaded 1424 times)
  • Attachment: fud2.jpg
    (Size: 64.86KB, Downloaded 1322 times)
  • Attachment: fud3.jpg
    (Size: 65.51KB, Downloaded 2126 times)
  • Attachment: fudt1.jpg
    (Size: 65.04KB, Downloaded 1997 times)
  • Attachment: fudt2.jpg
    (Size: 60.80KB, Downloaded 1707 times)

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13680 is a reply to message #13679] Wed, 22 October 2003 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
More previews.

These show alterations to the topic views (flat & threaded) and the front page.
  • Attachment: fudtt.jpg
    (Size: 56.75KB, Downloaded 1224 times)
  • Attachment: fudft.jpg
    (Size: 53.71KB, Downloaded 1238 times)
  • Attachment: fudf.jpg
    (Size: 37.44KB, Downloaded 1737 times)
  • Attachment: fudf2.jpg
    (Size: 36.52KB, Downloaded 1244 times)

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Wed, 22 October 2003 15:28]

Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13681 is a reply to message #13680] Wed, 22 October 2003 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gady is currently offline  Gady   Canada
I'd suggest to have a "moderators" block (as in http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=853&rid=815) left align under forum name, but, of course, with some significant shift (padding-left?) to the right.

Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13682 is a reply to message #13681] Wed, 22 October 2003 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Why the padding, just to put some space between the end of column & the moderators or something more? What do you mean by significant (can we translate that into pixel amount) ?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13683 is a reply to message #13679] Wed, 22 October 2003 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess I'm most fond of the 3rd example.
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13684 is a reply to message #13683] Wed, 22 October 2003 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
3rd example being fud3.jpg ?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13685 is a reply to message #13682] Wed, 22 October 2003 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gady is currently offline  Gady   Canada
Significant - it's just a matter of feeling Smile
At least not less than you're using to indent poster's info in tree view ( "by ....."). I'd say 20-25px.

Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13686 is a reply to message #13685] Wed, 22 October 2003 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you look at the other screenshots you'll see that the idea is to move By: ... stuff to the outmost right as well...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13687 is a reply to message #13678] Wed, 22 October 2003 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 09:11

I actually like this format, there however a problem, FUDforum has a lot more information to display, if you can show me how to fit it all in. The maybe we can do something based on that layout.
Here is the list of (missing) fiels:
Add to buddy list, Ingore/Un-ingore, IP, Hostname, Location, Custom Tags, Regular tags, Avatar.

I assume you already have all those fields set up in MsgR2 so that should not be a problem.

Quote:

Not sure I understand, the topic list does not seperate each topic, there is a tiny white line, that's all. Perphaps you can show me what you mean....

i meant to refer to this section. tree section
also, see below for example

Quote:

take a look at the source code. I just made a couple of modification. I made each msg a separate table - MsgR2,MsgR2,MsgR2,MsgToolBar and separated each msg/table with a line break so that it looks like tree section

I left MsgR1 and MsgToolBar ( but changed the bg color ) and switched the bg colors around using css of MsgR2 and MsgR2 - The bg color of the column heading should be darker than the bg color of the data.

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13688 is a reply to message #13686] Wed, 22 October 2003 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like anything that moves the "by" section and moderator section to the right to unclutter the left and take advantage of empty space on the right.

Something like these:
fudf.jpg
fudtt.jpg
fudt2.jpg

Gene
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13689 is a reply to message #13679] Wed, 22 October 2003 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can live with this design of the poster's info on top and msg below if you separate the responses with a line break. See my response on separation of msgs.

Gene

[Updated on: Wed, 22 October 2003 18:30]

Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13691 is a reply to message #13689] Wed, 22 October 2003 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Quote:

I assume you already have all those fields set up in MsgR2 so that should not be a problem.

Yes they are setup in row #2 using a 3 column table. However based on that picture the only change would be to more the 3rd (last) row to the outmost right hand side?

Quote:

see here messages separated for an example

I don't like the fact that the message subject is joined into the profile. Perphaps the black line between would make a clearer seperation? I do want the subject & time of posting to be easily visible.

The color change is good that I like. However I think the spacing between the message is exagerated. Would a double line (http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=848&rid=876) not be sufficient? Or perhaps a smaller space 3 - 4 pixels of white space?

On to threaded views. Would
http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=850&rid=876
be better then
http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=849&rid=876

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13692 is a reply to message #13684] Wed, 22 October 2003 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, although the suggestions of flushing the IP address, add buddy, and report links to the right are actually pretty good ideas.

The IP address should definitely appear last or self-justified though, since its not always displayed by every user class and I think its a good idea to make sure the same things are in the same places regardless of user class.
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13693 is a reply to message #13691] Wed, 22 October 2003 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 15:03

Yes they are setup in row #2 using a 3 column table. However based on that picture the only change would be to more the 3rd (last) row to the outmost right hand side?

would you combine the top and bottom line ( MsgR1 and MsgToolBar )??? I could live with that. kinda like http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=tree&th=2865&mid=13622& ;rid=177&rev=&reveal=

Quote:

I don't like the fact that the message subject is joined into the profile. Perphaps the black line between would make a clearer seperation? I do want the subject & time of posting to be easily visible.

I don't have a problem with that as it can be easily controlled thru the CSS for the row. But not black. Black is used to for the "msg box." a dull grey something like #363636. If it is black, it will compete with the black line around the msg box.

Quote:

The color change is good that I like. However I think the spacing between the message is exagerated. Would a double line (http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=848&rid=876) not be sufficient? Or perhaps a smaller space 3 - 4 pixels of white space?

see http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=14&rid=177. this would be accepatable. but even it could be another pixel or two. the eye needs to be discern a specific line of demarcation as it scans down the thread.

That spacing is critical to the separation. for example look at the front page you give as an example. the white line provides that "line of demarcation" on the right side for the Posts, Topics and Last Post columns. But as the eye moves to the left under the Forums column, that same white line fades from the minds eye.

That's why the moderator's column worked fine on the right but not as well on the left. Because the line of demarcation became obscured, it became difficult to find the actual forum name. With two lines it was ok because the line either was or was not the forum name. Binary: on or off. but with the third line, that was not true.

it is somewhat like putting a blank line between the paragraphs of this msg. Over the years our eyes have become trained to recognize the bank line as a transition from one paragraph to another paragraph (from one thought to another thought). it is our line of demarcation between paragraphs.

well, enough of that.
Quote:

On to threaded views. Would
http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=850&rid=876

Once again. I like the spacing of this one. Personally. But I would like to see if the "by" on the same line but right aligned would be better looking. I understand putting it on a line underneath, then as the window shrinks, it could slide left underneath the msg title. But if it is on the same line, it cuts the length to show this info in half.

Gene
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13694 is a reply to message #13693] Wed, 22 October 2003 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
esm2002 wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 16:53

Ilia wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 15:03

would you combine the top and bottom line ( MsgR1 and MsgToolBar )??? I could live with that. kinda like http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=tree&th=2865&mid=13622& ;amp ;rid=177&rev=&reveal=

Err, I think you misunderstood me due to a typo. I ment 3rd column not 3rd row. I do not wish to combine MsgR1 & MsgToolBar. I can't even imagine how that would work. I was asking wether the change you were proposing was to move the last column of the MsgR1 to the output right hand side as in the image you've posted before.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't have a problem with that as it can be easily controlled thru the CSS for the row. But not black. Black is used to for the "msg box." a dull grey something like #363636. If it is black, it will compete with the black line around the msg box.

Dull grey border on a slightly darker grey background? That does not sound like it would work...

Quote:

That spacing is critical to the separation. for example look at the front page you give as an example. the white line provides that "line of demarcation" on the right side for the Posts, Topics and Last Post columns. But as the eye moves to the left under the Forums column, that same white line fades from the minds eye.

You can have too much of a good thing Wink, I think too much spacing results in quite the opposite effect. IMHO it would be better to use CSS padding of 4-5 pixels (at most) as a break between the message. Anything more and message display will look disjointed.

Quote:

Once again. I like the spacing of this one. Personally. But I would like to see if the "by" on the same line but right aligned would be better looking. I understand putting it on a line underneath, then as the window shrinks, it could slide left underneath the msg title. But if it is on the same line, it cuts the length to show this info in half.

Actually it does not, because the icon height is exactly 2 text lines, so the only difference is that now there is 1 line aligned to the center of the row. However, if the subject of the message is long is could result in rather ugly wrapping.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13696 is a reply to message #13694] Thu, 23 October 2003 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Wed, 22 October 2003 17:48

Err, I think you misunderstood me due to a typo. I ment 3rd column not 3rd row. I do not wish to combine MsgR1 & MsgToolBar. I can't even imagine how that would work. I was asking wether the change you were proposing was to move the last column of the MsgR1 to the output right hand side as in the image you've posted before.

well, I was wondering cause it did make sense to keep the MsgToolBar row

Quote:

Dull grey border on a slightly darker grey background? That does not sound like it would work...

well, it works pretty good.

the top two msgs use a dull grey on a dull color. the 3rd msg uses a black line. to me it calls attention to the line itself when you want to highlite the msg in MsgR3.

it kinda like using a light bg color for the column headings (MsgR1 and MsgR2 ) and a dark bg color for msg in MsgR3. Since you want to direct the reader's attention to the msg, you would think it would work. but it just doesn't work that way because when I tried it from time to time over the last 30+ yrs, I'm told to "fix it." See the 4th and 5th examples.

Quote:

You can have too much of a good thing Wink, I think too much spacing results in quite the opposite effect. IMHO it would be better to use CSS padding of 4-5 pixels (at most) as a break between the message. Anything more and message display will look disjointed.

If you use CSS padding, then that can easily be adjusted to preference. My position is that our eyes are trained to expect certain things and that any deviation from that "norm" will draw attention. We try to do that in advertisements. In the tree view the spacing between our "paragraphs" ( as represented by each block of msgs ) is not what we expect to see. The small spacing between the msgs draws attention to the small spacing between the msgs when we want the reader to focus on the msg.

It just like when we see that extra space between a first and last name where the middle initial is suppose to go but the programmer forgot to check to see if the middle initial could be empty. If had $5 for everytime I have been asked to fix that, we could take the rest of the year off. I would say that it is absolutely amazing how people can see that extra space, but they do it everytime it happens, so I would actually be amazed if they did not see it.

We just notice the unusual. That is why I stick to the standard line spacing as measured from baseline to baseline when I need to separate things and not call attention to the spacing itself. But that is just me. Experience in the corporate world has been a harsh taskmaster.

Quote:

Actually it does not, because the icon height is exactly 2 text lines, so the only difference is that now there is 1 line aligned to the center of the row. However, if the subject of the message is long is could result in rather ugly wrapping.

You lost me on this one. Ok, I see that the icon is 2 text lines high. well the subject is suppose to be somewhat terse without being a paragraph long. I understand the folks can get long-winded. maybe use a maxlenght tag to limit it so they both fit inside the 800x600 window. but if the icon is two lines high then, put them on separate lines.

Gene

[Updated on: Thu, 23 October 2003 02:00]

Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13697 is a reply to message #13696] Thu, 23 October 2003 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
In regard to separation we once again have confusion Razz

I was referring to the lack of border between the message subject & the poster's information (see attached spacer.jpg).
The original colors were fine, I prefer to avoid very pale grey you've added in later message as it seems to 'glare' and make it difficult to read the text.

In regard to the spacer, I see your argument but for me, smaller spacers I am used to and my eye automatically filters them out, while larger one seem unusual and attract attention. Although with CSS padding I guess everyone can tune it to their liking with minimal effort.

The other reason I want subject on a line of it's own is to allow for a possibility to increase (it is already 1 point larger then before) text size without encoring design penalties such as wrapping. Ultimately the author's information is fairly trivial and for most users mostly useless.
  • Attachment: spacer.jpg
    (Size: 23.20KB, Downloaded 1155 times)

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13698 is a reply to message #13697] Thu, 23 October 2003 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry about that...I forgot to upload the new version. see messages separated

go back and read it again and look at the example.

if you set the css up to handle it, then you can allow for preferences ( you like it smaller, i like it a bit larger. Well, actually, it's not so much me as it is the folks that I do the work for ).

Gene
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13700 is a reply to message #13698] Thu, 23 October 2003 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ok, I think I got a bunch of idea set now. I'll try to implement some of the changes and activate them on this forum today.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13702 is a reply to message #13700] Thu, 23 October 2003 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 10:27

Ok, I think I got a bunch of idea set now. I'll try to implement some of the changes and activate them on this forum today.

Sounds great!

Gene
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13703 is a reply to message #13702] Thu, 23 October 2003 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Ok the changes are now 'live'. If you do not see the changes then:

1) Make sure you are using the default theme (I didn't rebuild other themes)
2) Make sure your browser is not caching the page (refresh once or twice).

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13706 is a reply to message #13703] Thu, 23 October 2003 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 15:12

Ok the changes are now 'live'. If you do not see the changes then:

1) Make sure you are using the default theme (I didn't rebuild other themes)
2) Make sure your browser is not caching the page (refresh once or twice).

that looks good. will I be able to set the CSS to get the following look? can this be done?. This just my personal view as I think it looks cleaner. Not as many horizontal lines for the eye to contend with.

Gene
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13707 is a reply to message #13706] Thu, 23 October 2003 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
esm2002 wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 17:16

that looks good. will I be able to set the CSS to get the following look? can this be done?. This just my personal view as I think it looks cleaner. Not as many horizontal lines for the eye to contend with.

You can do anything via the templating system, customizations are bo no means limited to CSS files. That said removing of the borders is something you should be able to accomplish via CSS, the borders are created there.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13708 is a reply to message #13703] Thu, 23 October 2003 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AutoHost is currently offline  AutoHost   United States
In both IE 6 and Firebird 0.7, I'm seeing a virtical scroll bar to the right of the 'rank,custom tag, avatar' area.
See this

Is this intended? I'm using 1024x768 full screen browser.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost

[Updated on: Thu, 23 October 2003 21:31]

Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13709 is a reply to message #13708] Thu, 23 October 2003 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
AutoHost wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 17:30

In both IE 6 and Firebird 0.7, I'm seeing a virtical scroll bar to the right of the 'rank,custom tag, avatar' area.
See this

Correct it is there to allow flexibility in the number of custom tags a person may have. The actual height of the box is controlled via the CSS, so if most of your users have avatars and height can be greater you can easily adjust this setting.

This works in IE, Mozilla and Opera 7+. The only browser I've tested where this does not work in Konqueror 3.1.4 (I will report a bug to konqueror developers shortly).

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13710 is a reply to message #13709] Thu, 23 October 2003 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Correction Smile this bug is already fixed in KDE 3.2 (Konqueror 3.2) but the developers indicated that the fix is not likely to be backported.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13721 is a reply to message #13709] Fri, 24 October 2003 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AutoHost is currently offline  AutoHost   United States
Ilia wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 17:33

AutoHost wrote on Thu, 23 October 2003 17:30

See this

Correct it is there to allow flexibility in the number of custom tags a person may have. The actual height of the box is controlled via the CSS, so if most of your users have avatars and height can be greater you can easily adjust this setting.

Hmmm... so if some have large avatars and I change the CSS to adjust it, then every post would have a lot of vertical space in that row...

Can the vertical size of the row be dynamic, automatically resize itself based on its content, so no vertical scroll bar would ever be seen? That way some users who have more custom tags and/or avatars etc wouldn't force the average users' message rows to have a lot of wasted vertical space.

Ron Miller
Stars! AutoHost
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13722 is a reply to message #13721] Fri, 24 October 2003 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Technically it could be dynamic, but that would require usage of a CSS tag (max-height) that is not yet supported by all browsers and does not work too well with overflow CSS in those who do.

I guess the real question is how many custom tags do your users have on average? If the answer is 1-2 then change the height (CSS) of the custom tag div to about 38-42 pixels and that'll eliminate the need for scroll bar and won't increase the height of the user info panel by more then 2-3 pixels (if no avatar is present).
Basically it one of the 'adjust to suit your needs' kinda features.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13729 is a reply to message #13721] Sun, 26 October 2003 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AzaToth is currently offline  AzaToth   Sweden

I think it would be enought to specify
height: 100%;
in the css.
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13739 is a reply to message #13729] Sun, 26 October 2003 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That would be bad, because it would make user info for users with >3-4 tags strech for (vertically) for as many tags as there are.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: New in 2.6.0RC1 [message #13752 is a reply to message #13739] Sun, 26 October 2003 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
AzaToth is currently offline  AzaToth   Sweden

Den sön, 26 oktober 2003 17:39 skrev Ilia:

That would be bad, because it would make user info for users with >3-4 tags strech for (vertically) for as many tags as there are.

No it won't, the userinfo will take up the height that for example the avatar gives, for example if the avatar is 100px height, then there will be approx max 100px for the userinfo box.
Pages (3): [ «    1  2  3    »]  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: 2.5.2 Feature Discussion
Next Topic: hardcoded colors
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:38:49 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02576 seconds