FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Plugins and Code Hacks » My first patch on 1.2.7
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
My first patch on 1.2.7 [message #1570] Fri, 19 April 2002 02:28 Go to next message
mauftarkie   United States

Just hoping to give back to the community a little because I really like this software. This short patch:

• fixes mispelling of "Announcement" in post.php
  • fixes no-birthday registration bug in register.php. If the registering user leaves the birthday field blank when registering, a default date would get set (January 1, 2000 is what it did on my system). This patch eliminates that and the birthday remains unset in this scenario.
  • added "(URL)" to "Image:" and "Homepage:" rows in register.php. I was a little confused what I was supposed to do with the image textfield at first, and I imagine others will as well. The addition to the homepage text is just for the sake of completeness.
  • removed stray control characters from confirmation.msg.
  • uppercased the word "URL" where it is shown to the user in various mail messages to keep consistancy.

More to follow, I'm sure. I ran/edited the patch from a fresh uninstalled tar dump.
Re: My first patch on 1.2.7 [message #1571 is a reply to message #1570] Fri, 19 April 2002 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Thanks for the patch, I've applied it to CVS and the changes you've made will appear in up comming 1.2.8 release.

FUDforum Core Developer
Patch #2 [message #1618 is a reply to message #1570] Sat, 20 April 2002 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Tonight's patch (against the 1.2.x CVS branch) is broken out for ease-of-review:

• When creating a thread as a moderator, the "Replying allowed" checkbox did not carry over posted screens (i.e., preview).
  • Spelling/consistancy fixes in install.php, GLOBALS_HELP, and admglobal.php.

Do you mind if I submit a few grammatical sentence changes here and there? I feel that some of the help text could be tweaked a little.

Thanks!
Re: My first patch on 1.2.7 [message #1619 is a reply to message #1618] Sat, 20 April 2002 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
mauftarkie wrote on Fri, 19 April 2002 11:45 PM

Tonight's patch (against the 1.2.x CVS branch) is broken out for ease-of-review:

• When creating a thread as a moderator, the "Replying allowed" checkbox did not carry over posted screens (i.e., preview).
  • Spelling/consistancy fixes in install.php, GLOBALS_HELP, and admglobal.php.

Do you mind if I submit a few grammatical sentence changes here and there? I feel that some of the help text could be tweaked a little.

Thanks!

Go ahead... Smile

The replying allowed checkbox is actually gone in latest CVS, the logic was replace on how it works.

I'll look @ your spelling changes in the patch, they may already be in CVS since I've fixed a bunch of those today.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: My first patch on 1.2.7 [message #1620 is a reply to message #1619] Sat, 20 April 2002 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I pulled the latest CVS branch when I started, which was about two hours ago. These should be all new spelling changes.

Cheers,
Re: My first patch on 1.2.7 [message #1621 is a reply to message #1620] Sat, 20 April 2002 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
mauftarkie wrote on Fri, 19 April 2002 11:56 PM

I pulled the latest CVS branch when I started, which was about two hours ago. These should be all new spelling changes.

Cheers,

Ah, cool Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Patch #3 [message #1728 is a reply to message #1618] Sun, 21 April 2002 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Today's megapatch against 1.2.x-cvs is my first attempt to make the admin global configuration screen a little more user friendly. Take or leave it if you like. This patchset also includes some more spelling corrections, some applied consistancy for acronyms, and some links to explain what COPPA is (I had heard about it, but didn't really know about it). Lastly, it also includes the birthday fix in util.inc from earlier today (if you haven't applied it yet).

I did notice a strange bug, though, that I haven't had time to track down yet. Maybe you can explain and/or fix it faster than I can. In the admin global config screen, if you type an option value with quotes (ex. "test") and submit the form, you cannot get rid of that value from that point on. If you try to submit a blank field, it comes back. If you try to erase and give another value, the new value is appended to the quoted value!

Aargh!

Oh, and in forum_rules13.msg, is the sentence "A copy of the permission form can be downloaded here" supposed to point to anything? I know the form that they can print out is generated if they submit the form, but what if they don't want to start the registration process?

Cheers!
Re: My first patch on 1.2.7 [message #1729 is a reply to message #1728] Sun, 21 April 2002 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The util.inc has already been fixed in CVS, thanks for the patch.

I'll look over the other patches and let you know what did & did not go in.

The bug with the admin form, the quoted values is actually the fault of the regex that parses that file. I will be re-writing it for FUDforum 2.0 shortly, so I'll backport it to 1.2X as well.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: My first patch on 1.2.7 [message #1732 is a reply to message #1729] Mon, 22 April 2002 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Here's another bug I noticed. Using this thread as an example, shouldn't your reply to my message be titled "Re: Patch #3" instead of "Re: My first patch on 1.2.7" ? Or am I assuming the wrong thing?

Thanks,
Re: My first patch on 1.2.7 [message #1733 is a reply to message #1732] Mon, 22 April 2002 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It is not a bug, the reason it showed it, because I didn't click on the "reply" button beside your message but rather the "big" post reply button at the top.

As far as the code was concerned I was replying to the root message.

Correction, it is a bug Razz

FUDforum Core Developer

[Updated on: Mon, 22 April 2002 00:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Patch #3 [message #1734 is a reply to message #1728] Mon, 22 April 2002 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Okie I've applied your patch. It all went in, with the exception of 2 VERY small changes in the GLOBALS_HELP file.

I've also fixed the bug you've noticed, that cause the imporer subject to be generated on replies. Good catch Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Patch #3 [message #1735 is a reply to message #1734] Mon, 22 April 2002 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thank you kindly. Smile
Re: Patch #3 [message #1761 is a reply to message #1728] Mon, 22 April 2002 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
mauftarkie wrote on Sun, 21 April 2002 6:47 PM

I did notice a strange bug, though, that I haven't had time to track down yet. Maybe you can explain and/or fix it faster than I can. In the admin global config screen, if you type an option value with quotes (ex. "test") and submit the form, you cannot get rid of that value from that point on. If you try to submit a blank field, it comes back. If you try to erase and give another value, the new value is appended to the quoted value!

I rewrote the code which parses/edits GLOBALS.php file it is now regex free, thus quite a bit faster. In addition it solves the bug you've mentioned.

FUDforum Core Developer
Patch #4 [message #1802 is a reply to message #1570] Tue, 23 April 2002 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

This should hopefully be the last of my massive text rewrite patches. I hope to submit bugfixes and from here on out.

Tonight's patch is mainly spelling/consistancy fixes. The only change that you might not catch off-hand is that I changed the output in "allowed file types" when posting a message with unrestricted filetypes from "*" to "(unrestricted)" (non-geeks won't know that * is a geekspeak regexp).

Only one real bug fixed, which is something I screwed up in a previous patch (the GLOBALS_HELP ":)" bug).

Keep the patches you like. This was against the 1.2.x CVS pulled about two hours ago. 1.2.8RC1 was pretty solid when I tested it.
Re: Patch #4 [message #1803 is a reply to message #1802] Tue, 23 April 2002 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Stupid me. I got all excited and forgot the attach the patch.

Baka. This is what I get for only drinking two cups of coffee today.
Re: Patch #4 [message #1804 is a reply to message #1803] Tue, 23 April 2002 04:30 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Patch commited. Thanks Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Extra FUDCode tags
Next Topic: Edit button appears only as long as edit time is left
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 14:57:55 GMT 2024