FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Icons & buttons » A 'standard' set of avatars?  () 1 Vote
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #1583] Fri, 19 April 2002 10:12 Go to next message
basse is currently offline  basse   Finland
I think that FUDforum should come with a standard set of avatars, but I'm no artist and don't even know where to find predrawn royalty-free avatars. Is there anybody out there who would be willing to gather avatars, zip them together and post the file here? What about including them in the distribution?
Re: A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #1587 is a reply to message #1583] Fri, 19 April 2002 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
djupsjob wrote on Fri, 19 April 2002 6:12 AM

I think that FUDforum should come with a standard set of avatars, but I'm no artist and don't even know where to find predrawn royalty-free avatars. Is there anybody out there who would be willing to gather avatars, zip them together and post the file here? What about including them in the distribution?

Unfortunately I have little time to locate royalty-free archives of avatars and lack the skill to draw some myself. So, if someone is willing to draw some or point me to an archive where royalty-free avatars can be found, I'd definately consider adding them into a distro.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #1592 is a reply to message #1587] Fri, 19 April 2002 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prottoss wrote on Fri, 19 April 2002 5:45 PM

Unfortunately I have little time to locate royalty-free archives of avatars and lack the skill to draw some myself. So, if someone is willing to draw some or point me to an archive where royalty-free avatars can be found, I'd definately consider adding them into a distro.

This was exactly what I meant. Somebody could 'give back' to the community by compiling a set of avatars. As this does not require coding skills there should be plenty of people capable of doing it.
Re: A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #4774 is a reply to message #1592] Wed, 07 August 2002 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MrDigory is currently offline  MrDigory   United States
Well, I will see about making some avatars. Not a ton mind you...but...what style should I do? I am a quite talented at cartooning, so I could do some original catoonish characters, and allow FUD to use them exclussively or something...
Anyone have some other ideas for a style for the avatars? Keep in mind they must all be original. I will not steal anything to make the avatars.
Re: A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #4784 is a reply to message #4774] Wed, 07 August 2002 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Cartoonish/exagerate style would be quite nice for default avatars, IMHO. I'd suggest basing the images on various state of mind, for example 'happy', 'cool', 'depressed', etc...

What do you think?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #4808 is a reply to message #1583] Wed, 07 August 2002 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MrDigory is currently offline  MrDigory   United States
I would be more than willing to o this. I will start working on it tonight after work, an post some snippets of my progress.
Cheers.
Re: A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #4809 is a reply to message #4808] Wed, 07 August 2002 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great! Finally somebody who's willing to make some avatars. Good luck with the work, and keep us posted...
Re: A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #7724 is a reply to message #4808] Thu, 12 December 2002 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rockvilleguy is currently offline  rockvilleguy   United States
Any progress?
Re: A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #8428 is a reply to message #7724] Tue, 28 January 2003 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It seems like MrDigory overestimated his own enthusiasm. No avatars so far. Hopefully he has not forgotten about them...
Re: A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #17426 is a reply to message #1583] Tue, 30 March 2004 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RushFan is currently offline  RushFan   United States
I already have all kinds of avatars on my machine. I'll find some more, and send you a "compilation" of them. Very Happy
Re: A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #17428 is a reply to message #1587] Tue, 30 March 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RushFan is currently offline  RushFan   United States
Ilia wrote on Fri, 19 April 2002 10:45

djupsjob wrote on Fri, 19 April 2002 6:12 AM

<br><br>Unfortunately I have little time to locate royalty-free archives of avatars and lack the skill to draw some myself. So, if someone is willing to draw some or point me to an archive where royalty-free avatars can be found, I'd definately consider adding them into a distro.

I've compiled a modest sized collection of them. If you'd like more, or avatars of a certain nature, just tell me, and I will try to find somemore.

---Edit---I read the terms on the archives after uploading the avatars... Shocked AS usual, the legal jargon is confusing... Here are the links I used, if anybody can figure out if you can use these avatars...

I'm pretty sure you can use them all... But, I'd rahter not violate copyrights. See these links:
http://www.avatarity.com/
http://www.nutrocker.co.uk/
http://www.hotavatars.com/

I would make some myself, but... I have no idea how to make avatars on the computer....
  • Attachment: Avatars.zip
    (Size: 554.01KB, Downloaded 3390 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 30 March 2004 02:45]

Report message to a moderator

Re: A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #157974 is a reply to message #17428] Wed, 14 January 2009 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
@RushFan

Thanks for the avatars, they look great! However, I don't think we should add them to FUDforum unless they are free (released into the public domain).

Does anyone else know of such avatars that can be added?

Best regards.

Frank
Re: A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #158508 is a reply to message #157974] Sat, 28 February 2009 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Just a quick note to let you guys know that FUDforum, starting with release 2.8.0, now ships with some default avatars.
Re: A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #159639 is a reply to message #158508] Sun, 14 June 2009 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Witcher is currently offline  The Witcher   United States
Frank
Speaking of avatars and the ones now included with FUDforum specifically. If I create a new folder in the Avatar Gallery and move all the smiley avatars to it would the forum then force the user to choose from the available folders rather than automatically displaying the smiley avatars by default, or any for that matter?

Further on the subject of Avatars I think the Key concepts here are "Standard set" and "Public domain" , standard is pretty easy, people like feeling comfortable with things that are familiar to them and will tend to use like avatars (if they use them at all) where ever they go if they are available (but then you have people who will claim ownership of a particular avatar and the squabbling ensues.....). So if a certain type of forum is known to have the avatar they use they would tend towards what is familiar as opposed to what is not, and that applies to color schemes layouts, text size, language etc etc and on and on.

Public domain is a thornier issue, ask a dozen lawyers what it means and you will get a dozen different answers which are all just their opinions and not absolute fact and no matter what you do there will always be some yahoo who will gripe about it.

Then you have the additional issue of FUDforum being an international platform, so what is familiar to you may not be familiar here, and the same standards, acceptance or even laws would not apply equally across the board to all.

Toggle Spoiler

At any rate that is just my opinion on the subject, and I am not a Lawyer, Judge or a law enforcement official! However lawyers, Judges, and law enforcement officials of all stripes call me SIR! And in every instance that they have challenged my knowledge they have come out with the dirty end of the stick, and often totally embarrassed themselves in the process.

So if you are still concerned about this I would suggest that you discuss it (I have already laid out all you really need to know), and ask me how, and I will tell you how to get what you want.

"I'm a Witcher, I solve human problems; not always using a sword!"
icon6.gif  Re: A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #159855 is a reply to message #157974] Mon, 29 June 2009 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is 2 sets of stock Avatars that I have used for years both as a user on other sites and on my own, I originally obtained most of these with the 1st forum software I tried (CFBB) they were included as believed to be in the public domain and are seen and available from a variety of sources on the internet.

Over time I have added a few and culled others but these are pretty much what I use as stock avatars for all my forums.

This zip file contains 2 folders male and female, which contain about 180 different avatars in 65X65 which is just one px larger than FUD forums default settings.

I have added these to "Needful Things" and will add more later, including these in a larger size.

Re: A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #159857 is a reply to message #159855] Mon, 29 June 2009 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here are another set, of "Toon" avatars that I use.

Ynt: Re: A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #187277 is a reply to message #159857] Sun, 30 April 2017 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Turkey
Thanks for the info... Rolling Eyes
Re: Ynt: Re: A 'standard' set of avatars? [message #188313 is a reply to message #187277] Fri, 24 November 2023 08:43 Go to previous message
DEARY999 is currently offline  DEARY999   Turkey
Yes we need new avatars
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: How can I add a new set of avatars to FUDforum 3.0.9 ?
Next Topic: Some 64x64 'plastic' avatars
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:05:56 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04232 seconds