FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum Development » Plugins and Code Hacks » Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #14860] Sat, 22 November 2003 19:44 Go to next message
blackops is currently offline  blackops   United States
I have written a script that logs into a POP server and grabs one message at a time, routing them through mailinglist.php, until the POP account has no more new messages. You can use this script to enable mailing list integration by completing the following steps. The benefit is that you do not need .procmailrc support to work with a mailing list.
  1. Enable mailing list integration for a given forum
  2. Create a POP account that will only be used as a dummy subscriber to the mailing list you want to integrate
  3. Use this script, scheduled by crontab, to access the POP account on a regular basis to download new messages from the mailing list and import them into the forum (every 15 minutes, or so, should do it).

HOW IT WORKS:
This script creates a temp file, logs into a POP server, downloads one message at a time, storing it in the temp file, and pipes the contents of that file into maillist.php. It expects two command-line arguments: POP_account_name and list_id.

Example from the command line:

php -q /home/virtual/site2/fst/var/www/html/test/fmail.php f-general-user 2

The code is attached. Notice the few places I have <TEXT>. Please replace those occurrences (including the "<" and ">") with the actual values.
  • Attachment: fudmail.php
    (Size: 1.25KB, Downloaded 1388 times)
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #14900 is a reply to message #14860] Mon, 24 November 2003 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squeebee is currently offline  Squeebee   Canada
I thought this was pretty cool, and I am tweaking it for my purposes, but I thought I would bounce back what I have done so far.

I changed the script to stop using a tempfile and instead open a pipe to the maillist.php script. It keeps the clutter down of having a temp file and requires less work to configure.

I also moved the dynamic portions to the script to define() calls so that all the user-edited portions of the script are at the top.
  • Attachment: fudmail.php
    (Size: 1.71KB, Downloaded 1257 times)
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #14941 is a reply to message #14860] Tue, 25 November 2003 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, here's my latest work.

I have modified the code to hold an array of mailing list addresses. As each message comes in the header is parsed for a To: or Cc: header and the array is searched on these values, which are then used to determine which numeric argument to send to maillist.php.

So if the array has:

mylist.myhost.com
yourlist.myhost.com

Then it will call maillist 1 or maillist 2 accordingly.

I have also removed the command-line arguments of the script as you no longer really need them, since one email address can now handle multiple lists.

I am releasing my version under the GPL if blackops does not object, and have attributed you(blackops) in the copyright notices.

Anyway, I hope this is useful...

• Attachment: popfud.php
    (Size: 4.37KB, Downloaded 1436 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 25 November 2003 20:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #14968 is a reply to message #14860] Wed, 26 November 2003 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blackops is currently offline  blackops   United States
No objections to GPL release. Happy my Q&D little script has found a broader use. Smile Nice work.
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #14969 is a reply to message #14860] Wed, 26 November 2003 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Right now I have you attributed in the copyright as 'blackops', would you prefer a real name?
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #14970 is a reply to message #14860] Wed, 26 November 2003 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, here's a properly attributed script, latest version.
  • Attachment: popfud.php
    (Size: 4.42KB, Downloaded 1442 times)
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #17335 is a reply to message #14970] Fri, 26 March 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeroen is currently offline  yeroen   Netherlands
hi there,

I didn't try the code yet, but I must say it's a great idea to have it done this way. Searched the web for all mailinglist forums, but this fudforum seemed to be the easiest to install for a noobie like me. Phpbb also has some mailinglist script(m2f/cm2f), but that's a nogo on the ported version for phpnuke Confused

Mailgust didn't work for me, so...this fudforum is great. But the procmail delivered me headaches. Searched for days, and now there is this great news, u guys GOT A SCRIPT to make it work without it!!!! Very Happy

Tnx, tnx, tnx...Fudforum should have this option included by default. I will try it instantly...

Greetings,

yeroen
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #17336 is a reply to message #14860] Fri, 26 March 2004 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glad it's of use. I will post a new version when I get it finished.
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #17337 is a reply to message #17335] Fri, 26 March 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw,

Embarassed where do I need to put the commandline(php -q ...)?

yeroen
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #17338 is a reply to message #14860] Fri, 26 March 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure I understand your question, but here's an example:

Lets say you have the maillist script in /usr/local/FUDforum/scripts/maillist.php and the popfud.php script is located in /usr/local/popfud.php and the PHP executable is at /usr/local/php/bin/php

YOu would need to set the path to the maillist.php script in the head section of popfud.php and then:

/usr/local/php/bin/php -q /usr/local/phpfud.php

And that should run the script.
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #17339 is a reply to message #17338] Fri, 26 March 2004 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought it may be possible to automate the mailupdating-process, by make the script execute each time the forum is loaded.

If I run the php-script from my website http://geestbeest.ath.cx/fudforum2/popfud.php (f.i), it should work right?

Can't it be run from fudforum's index.php? I don't know how it works, but isn't this the command for it?

include_once('http://geestbeest.ath.cx/fudforum2/popfud.php');

yeroen

Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #17340 is a reply to message #17338] Fri, 26 March 2004 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hm,

not so simple as I first thought Smile

I uploaded the script to: http://geestbeest.ath.cx/fudforum2/scripts/popfud.php

When I launch it from the browser, it says:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: imap_open() in F:\www\FUDforum2\scripts\popfud.php on line 44

The commandline involved is:
$mbox = imap_open ($mb, $usr, $pwd) or exit("Invalid server, username, or password.\n");

I'm not sure, but can it be a pathproblem? I had several errors, installing scripts, which were not in my serverroot. Confused
yeroen

Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #17341 is a reply to message #14860] Fri, 26 March 2004 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This script is not launched in a browser but from a command-line using cron. From the sounds of it you do not have IMAP support compiled into PHP. You need to either install it or have it installed by your admin.

http://www.php.net/imap
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #17342 is a reply to message #17341] Fri, 26 March 2004 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ow, Embarassed

Now, I don't want to be the noobie-whiner, and it seems there are ALOT of extra fine proggies, which work greatly under linux.

But...for the sake of the non-techies/dumbass windows-user masses(including me), isn't there another function to access the popserver via this script, without installing extra requirements?

Tnx so far for your support,

yeroen

Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #17343 is a reply to message #14860] Fri, 26 March 2004 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am unfortunatly too much of a newbie myself to know what they are.
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #17345 is a reply to message #17343] Fri, 26 March 2004 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well,

u helped me alot allready though. guess the module pop3.php, which phpnuke uses, does the same thing as the imap-option in php. I'm just playing with the options, to try implement them in this great script, which I got from here. I have the php-file in an attachment. Don't know if it's any good, but so far I see new options! Smile

maybe its possible to implement it within the included pipefunction? Rolling Eyes
Well, hope u can help me with the code...

Yeroen
  • Attachment: pop3.php
    (Size: 11.04KB, Downloaded 1081 times)
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #17346 is a reply to message #14860] Fri, 26 March 2004 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks interesting, I will see if I can implement it when I get a chance. I warn you that I am pretty busy right now, so I am not sure when I can work on it.
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #17352 is a reply to message #14860] Fri, 26 March 2004 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi there,

I replaced all imap-functions, with those of the pop3.php. The code seems to be errorfree, but it does nothing Rolling Eyes

It runs for about 20 secs in the browser, and after that, it says "ready". Nothing really happened in fudforum though. Shocked

I'll try to fix it myself, but my knowledge only reaches the "grab and steal"-altitude. Maybe some1 can take a look at it?

I suspect that the program doesn't know in which fudmaillist to put the e-mails 2. It also doesn't delete the e-mails, for some reason.see the attachments for pop3.php, and fudphop.php.

paiz, Smile

yeroen
  • Attachment: fudphop.php
    (Size: 2.62KB, Downloaded 1054 times)
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #17355 is a reply to message #17352] Sat, 27 March 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, simplified the code to the core. It displays emailinfo right, but still not in forum. Guess its passed to the wrong forum_id? Confused Confused Confused

got it included here...
  • Attachment: fudphop.php
    (Size: 1.47KB, Downloaded 1144 times)
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #17356 is a reply to message #17355] Sat, 27 March 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sigh,

Just can't get it RIGHT !!! Twisted Evil
I found out, that the maillist-script wasn't running at all. Because I don't have cron, and I want to run the script from another php-script, I thought about include(maillist.php), which will get it running. But there are no parameters included, so maillist, is bugging me for a forum_id :S

I can't find out what I have to change in maillist.php, to make it work. Im tired... Shocked

so..work for tommorow is: exporting the scriptNum-variable somehow :S

I don't know anymore. gotta sleepppppzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
need hwwwaaaeeeeelp btw, Razz

yeroen

Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #18187 is a reply to message #14860] Wed, 12 May 2004 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shep is currently offline  Shep   United States
Did anyone ever get this working for Windows? I run my own server and mail server and I need to import a list into one of the forums.

Any help is appreciated!

Shep
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #18189 is a reply to message #18187] Wed, 12 May 2004 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Very simple to do, simply write a PHP script that would pipe the entire message to the maillist.php script.

Ex.
<?php
$pipe
= popen("php maillist.php 123", "w");
fwrite($pipe, file_get_contents("your_message"));
pclose($pipe);
?>

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #18218 is a reply to message #18189] Thu, 13 May 2004 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are talking to a Windows guy here, and I don't understand the syntax.

Shep
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #18233 is a reply to message #14860] Fri, 14 May 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think perhaps I was unclear. I want to import a "mail list" into the forum not just a text list. I have a listserver mailing list I want to import.

Shep
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #18240 is a reply to message #18233] Fri, 14 May 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You have a text file with messages you want to import or what?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #18253 is a reply to message #18240] Fri, 14 May 2004 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No - I want to import a mail list. A mailing list handled by a listserver that goes out to a specific group of people subscribed to the list. What the Mailing List in Fudforum is supposed to do.
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #18256 is a reply to message #18253] Fri, 14 May 2004 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum's mailing list functionality involves mirroring the list. This is usually done by subscribing an e-mail address to that list and having the forum read the e-mail arriving to that address.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #18257 is a reply to message #18256] Fri, 14 May 2004 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Fri, 14 May 2004 17:06

FUDforum's mailing list functionality involves mirroring the list. This is usually done by subscribing an e-mail address to that list and having the forum read the e-mail arriving to that address.

I understand that, I have the email address created and the forum set up to receive it, but there is nothing there. I have read the posts about procmail being used to pipe the messages into the forum. I have even downloaded the popfud.php script created by one of your users here and configured it - and run the command line to activate and pipe in the emails from the list - but to no avail.

There really needs to be some documentation for this, especially for Windows, IIS users. The process of how to get the posts from the list to the forum is almost non existent.

Any help is appreciated.

Shep
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #18258 is a reply to message #18257] Fri, 14 May 2004 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The reasons the instructions are *nix specific is because Windows system is really not well suited for such tasks. While it is possible to make it work, it is not exactly pleasant.

Windows does not have an easy automated mechanism for running a certain application every X amount of minutes/seconds/hours. So, your first task is to find a windows tool that will allow you to do just that.

Windows also does not handle e-mail in the same way *nix system do, so you cannot use procmail or similar. You need a separate script that can talk to POP3 or IMAP server and retrieve the message from those servers. The popfud.php script supposedly talks with POP3, but I didn't not write and can't say anything about it's usability.

Once something had retrieved the entire message (headers & message text) this data needs to be piped to the maillist.php who will then use this data to import a message into the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #18259 is a reply to message #18258] Fri, 14 May 2004 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, I understand.

But it would seem to me that Fudforum would greatly benefit from having a way to do this - even if it has to be done from the command line.

There are millions of Window users out there..... if Fudforum provides a script for piping the info to the forum - then the Windows users can find a program that will automate the command. I would think that a command could be run from a batch file or something similar.

This seems like somthing that could be included in Fudforum. I also think it would make it EXTREMELY desirable for Windows users also.

Shep
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #18260 is a reply to message #18259] Fri, 14 May 2004 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In fact Firedaemon http://www.firedaemon.com/ is such a program. So runnning the batch file regularly is not a problem, but having the ability to pipe the info into the forum is.... Sad
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #18261 is a reply to message #18260] Fri, 14 May 2004 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum is a bulletin board package nothing more nothing else. I have no plans or intention to include external utilities in the distribution.

As for piping messages to the forum I gave you a sample PHP script that can be used to accomplish this task.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #18262 is a reply to message #18261] Fri, 14 May 2004 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Fri, 14 May 2004 18:56

FUDforum is a bulletin board package nothing more nothing else. I have no plans or intention to include external utilities in the distribution.

As for piping messages to the forum I gave you a sample PHP script that can be used to accomplish this task.

You seem kinda touchy about this issue. I was not implying or asking for you to include 3rd party utilities. Fudform "comes with" Mailing List Manager. It even gives a short "how to" at the end for use with procmail. I was only asking that this option be available for Windows users also with clear documentation on "how" to do this or a discalimer that Mailing List Manager will not work with Windows.

It will either work with Windows or it will not. If it does, it would be great to know how to implement it.

Please do not take this personal. It is not intended to be that way on my end. I am real excited about getting this to work and want to create Windows documentation for the guys over at eGroupWare when I get this figured out. I have been helping out over there with Windows docs. I can get the popfud.php to run from a command line, but the posts do not appear in the forum that has been selecte in Mailing List Manager. I am close, and just wanted to see if there was help available.

I have contacted the guy who wrote popfud.php - but in the meantime I stopped by here to see if the "authors" had worked this out yet.

Thanks,
Shep
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #18263 is a reply to message #18262] Fri, 14 May 2004 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum doe not come with mailing list manager. It comes with functionality that allows messages from a mailing list to be posted to the forum and vice versa.

The problem if you can call it that, is that Windows lacks utilities that are standard on *nix that allow messages to be imported relatively simply. Since Windows lacks these utilities the process is far more complicated as you are quickly discovering.
Consequently these utilities need to be substituted by something else that would be of use on only Windows OS. Given that fact, I have little interest of spending time developing these utilities.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #26962 is a reply to message #14860] Tue, 23 August 2005 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
digitalgraal is currently offline  digitalgraal   Spain
Hello,

i have come to this thread because CM2F is mentionned into it.

I am currently recompiling the list of forums to which i could have CM2F working with.
Since FUDForum is already coming with mail to forum feature would be of interrest to have CM2F integrated with FudForum?

Regards,
D.
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #26963 is a reply to message #26962] Tue, 23 August 2005 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum can not only do mail -> forum, but forum -> mail as well. As far as I can tell from a brief search engine stint, CM2F is an external module that does what FUDforum already can do natively without any external tools. What would be the benefit of such integration?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #26964 is a reply to message #14860] Tue, 23 August 2005 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
digitalgraal is currently offline  digitalgraal   Spain
hi,

it was why i asked.

I think that some extras features are made available, i have never tested the Fud Features, and i will try to find some time in the near future.

I will netherless work on the integration since some users have been asking me for it.

REgards,
D.
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #26965 is a reply to message #26964] Tue, 23 August 2005 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The one thing FUDforum does and I have no plans to implement is mailing list management controls. So, perhaps that's something external module could do.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Mailing List Functionality w/crontab, instead of .procmailrc or .forward [message #28065 is a reply to message #14970] Mon, 10 October 2005 04:35 Go to previous message
Hurry   India
Squeebee wrote on Wed, 26 November 2003 23:43

Ok, here's a properly attributed script, latest version.

Does popfud.php have forum to mail functionality also or I will need mailman for that?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Request: Message body color based on user level
Next Topic: extra line breaks and anchors when editing/quoting mailing list posts
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 19:44:12 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02688 seconds