FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Disable view counting and subscriptions
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Disable view counting and subscriptions [message #14918] Tue, 25 November 2003 06:23 Go to next message
JasonBirch   Canada
Hi,

I haven't been able to figure out where in the code the view count is incremented, but I'm assuming that this is done with a database write. If so, I would very much like to have the ability to turn off view counting and the display of the view count.

I would also like to see the ability to disable forum/topic subscriptions to avoid mail problems. Perhaps this could be done with user permissions?

I love all of the features in FUDForum, but some of them look like they might force me to upgrade to a dedicated server, which isn't in the books right now.

Thanks,
Jason
Re: Disable view counting and subscriptions [message #14920 is a reply to message #14918] Tue, 25 November 2003 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Turning off view counting & subscriptions will require you to make heavy modifications to the code...
You'll need to modify imsg.inc, imsg_edt.inc, post.php, th.inc and the templates for thread.tmpl threadt.tmpl, tree.tmpl, msg.tmpl and likely others.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Disable view counting and subscriptions [message #14962 is a reply to message #14920] Wed, 26 November 2003 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JasonBirch   Canada
Be nice if this was supported in the UI Smile

Seriously, my provider's TOS prohibits the use of databases for traffic monitoring, which is basically what the view counting is. I'm going to have to do this, as I'm otherwise happy with my provider. I think I'll wait until the release version to do so though.

Jason
Re: Disable view counting and subscriptions [message #14963 is a reply to message #14962] Wed, 26 November 2003 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Uhm I think you're missing the point of your provider's rules (maybe). FUDforum does not track every request only the views of topics are actually countend and then the process is very fast. I believe your provider is trying to prevent you using databases for log analysis etc...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Disable view counting and subscriptions [message #15000 is a reply to message #14963] Thu, 27 November 2003 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JasonBirch   Canada
The text from the TOS is as follows: "No database may be used to act as a 'hit counter,' or for logging of information distributed nightly in the raw web logs (including but not limited to browser and page referrer information)."

In their user forums they have confirmed that this includes software packages that log message views to the database, as their main concern is to prevent a large number of (relatively expensive) write operations on their shared database servers.

Having inspected your code and database structure fairly thoroughly I'm inclined to believe that the efficiencies there make up for the database writes when compared to many other forum packages, but I don't think that would work as an argument if they decided I needed to upgrade to a higher service level. I don't mind hacking the code to do this, I just hate losing the easy upgrade capabilities.

Jason
Re: Disable view counting and subscriptions [message #15001 is a reply to message #15000] Thu, 27 November 2003 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Regardless of the situation every single request results in @ least 1 query, for registered users @ least 1 write query. Removing trivial code is not going to change that.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Disable view counting and subscriptions [message #15004 is a reply to message #15001] Thu, 27 November 2003 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JasonBirch   Canada
Yes, I fully expected that to be the case. The view counting is just a very visible indication that writes are happening on message displays, and I'd prefer to disable it.

Is the write for registered users because you are storing last-viewed information in the database?

Thanks,
Jason
Re: Disable view counting and subscriptions [message #15006 is a reply to message #15004] Thu, 27 November 2003 15:41 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
You can just modify the thread display templates and remove the views column. That said I guarantee that as far as load is concerned simple SQL hit counter (should be) much faster then any forum application in existance.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Suggestions for mailing list handling.
Next Topic: Private message commands at top of page
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 21:27:14 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05069 seconds