FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Suggestions for mailing list handling.
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Suggestions for mailing list handling. [message #14942] Tue, 25 November 2003 21:06 Go to next message
Squeebee is currently offline  Squeebee   Canada
Hi There;

Here's a suggestion:

I have mailing lists working (except for the bloody body regexp). What I have noticed is this:

1) If I disable user creation for each incoming message (I don't want a huge collection of new users), it can break any attempts to reply to a post from within the forum. I would suggest storage of the sender's email in spite of the fact that a user is not being created. Then, when you reply to a mailing list post from within the forum, Cc: the stored address.

2) I have noticed that when trying to send a post, the emails get sent to my anonymous user. I think it would be better to have the To: address contain the mailing list address, with the Cc: being either the original poster if a new user is created for each incoming message, or the stored email as described in point 1.
Re: Suggestions for mailing list handling. [message #14944 is a reply to message #14942] Tue, 25 November 2003 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Not possible without adding some mailing list specific entries to users table, which would be a waste of space for 99% of forum installations. When a reply is sent to the mailing list it goes to the list and from there it would get to the person to whom the current message is a reply.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Suggestions for mailing list handling. [message #14947 is a reply to message #14942] Tue, 25 November 2003 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, well, I have been trying to post replies to the mailing list from my mirror, and I get the sttached failure notice. It looks like the wrong address is going to the To: header, which causes the email to fail.

Also, could an HTML stripped version of the user's sig make it into the message sent out to the mailing list?

My mailing list email is set to mysql(at)lists(dot)mysql(dot)com

Any ideas?

• Attachment: failure.txt
    (Size: 1.73KB, Downloaded 1084 times)
Re: Suggestions for mailing list handling. [message #14955 is a reply to message #14947] Wed, 26 November 2003 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Are you using default e-mail code or SMTP one?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Suggestions for mailing list handling. [message #14958 is a reply to message #14942] Wed, 26 November 2003 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Canada
My configuration is set for SMTP.
Re: Suggestions for mailing list handling. [message #14960 is a reply to message #14958] Wed, 26 November 2003 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Replace your smtp.inc.t with the one attached and try again, it'll hopefuly fix the problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Suggestions for mailing list handling. [message #14961 is a reply to message #14942] Wed, 26 November 2003 01:37 Go to previous message
Excellent, it worked like I charm.

I would like to thank you for all your assistance.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Registration suggestions.
Next Topic: Disable view counting and subscriptions
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 21:25:59 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02441 seconds