FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » General » General Chit Chat » switching to linux
Show: Today's Messages :: Unread Messages :: Show Polls :: Message Navigator
| Subscribe to topic | Bookmark topic 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
switching to linux [message #15740] Fri, 02 January 2004 21:51 Go to next message
Ecxeleron is currently offline  Ecxeleron   Australia
add to buddy list
ignore all messages by this user
I'm tired of windoze. I'd like to know of any easy-to-get-used-to distros out there. Any tutorials would be appreciated.
I'm quite confident i can quit windoze this time (I've tried before). Laughing

any references, links etc. would be appreciated greatly Smile

Re: switching to linux [message #15848 is a reply to message #15740] Tue, 06 January 2004 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kc5deb is currently offline  kc5deb   United States
add to buddy list

Well, coming from both a linux and a *BSD background, I prefer BSD on the fact that it's clean, well written, and has both a great history of uptimes and an incredible knack for working even under huge processor utilizations.

I still like linux, but, just not as much. Linux is great to learn on, and makes a great desktop, but, once you play with freebsd, netbsd, openbsd, then you'll realize that most linux distribs have just a huge amount of crap compiled into them that you'll never use, and it just takes up space.
Re: switching to linux [message #15849 is a reply to message #15848] Tue, 06 January 2004 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
add to buddy list
HAHAHA

Linux couldn't handle many processes in 2.2, but as of 2.4 and 2.6 this is no longer true by a long shot. *BSD threading code is either very poor or non-existant, which becomes very apparent when you use something like MySQL.

File system wise, Linux has a great deal more choice and thinks like ReiserFS beat BSD's FS by a long shot.

I should also mention that a lot more drivers for various hardware are avaliable for Linux then for BSD.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: switching to linux [message #18935 is a reply to message #15849] Thu, 17 June 2004 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andy_scouser is currently offline  andy_scouser   United Kingdom
add to buddy list
just get yourself a 2nd hand sun and slap solaris on...

Re: switching to linux [message #19079 is a reply to message #15740] Wed, 23 June 2004 20:41 Go to previous message
alansmith is currently offline  alansmith   United Kingdom
add to buddy list
Has anyone ran either Linux or BSB on the new 800 FSB p4's? I had a lot of issues when the Xeons came out and found Sco ran a lot quicker with hyperthreading turned off. Has anyone else experienced this?
Quick Reply
Formatting Tools:   
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic: favrit fuds
Next Topic: Prompt should be added into code verification of register procedure
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat Dec 16 11:31:14 EST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00589 seconds