FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Whats in a name?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Whats in a name? [message #15785] Mon, 05 January 2004 05:02 Go to next message
The Wolf is currently offline  The Wolf   Australia
Ok, I have never used FUD forum before, after spending a lot of time switching between forums, openbb and ipb for example and you know why? The name, something about it just calls to me, "dodgy", and a whole lot of other words you probably don't want to hear.

The other reason I never gave it a shot was the home page just reinforced my first impressions.

So I suggest a name change and a site redesign. Oh, please don't even consider a name like *bb or *forum, something original is best, a read English word, or a word from another language that means something good and also has a good sound to it.

Thanks for listening, and good luck! Very Happy

Eagles may soar, but wolfs don't get sucked into jet engines.
http://www.bitwarestudio.com/sig.png
Think of me as wise, or completely insane!
Re: Whats in a name? [message #15799 is a reply to message #15785] Mon, 05 January 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The name I like and do not intend to replace anytime soon. As for design, you're welcome to make suggestions Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
icon5.gif  Re: Whats in a name? [message #15809 is a reply to message #15799] Mon, 05 January 2004 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wfjmueller is currently offline  wfjmueller   Germany
What stands FUD for in FUDforum? I guess, it has not the same meaning as it has for example in the context 'FUD campaign' ....
Re: Whats in a name? [message #15811 is a reply to message #15809] Mon, 05 January 2004 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Fast Uncompromising Discussion Forum (FUDforum)

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Whats in a name? [message #15822 is a reply to message #15785] Mon, 05 January 2004 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Wolf is currently offline  The Wolf   Australia
Then perhaps use that in the HotScripts listing, it does sound better than FUD Wink

As for the design, give table cells some more padding af the very least, or scrap the whole thing and start over with something a little simpler.

It is very hard to edit as I found out yesterday :/

Eagles may soar, but wolfs don't get sucked into jet engines.
http://www.bitwarestudio.com/sig.png
Think of me as wise, or completely insane!

[Updated on: Mon, 05 January 2004 22:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Whats in a name? [message #15823 is a reply to message #15785] Tue, 06 January 2004 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The_Altered1 is currently offline  The_Altered1   United States
It's not that bad, just like any new forum.......takes awhile to get a grasp. Cool
Re: Whats in a name? [message #15824 is a reply to message #15823] Tue, 06 January 2004 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Most people find the name easy to remember, which is what important. If people make their decision based on the name rather then ability then they can stick with a software pretty name and patch security vulnerabilities on a regular basis.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Whats in a name? [message #15840 is a reply to message #15822] Tue, 06 January 2004 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gribnif is currently offline  Gribnif   United States
The Wolf wrote on Mon, 05 January 2004 17:17

As for the design, give table cells some more padding af the very least

I agree that the default tables need more padding. I solved this by modifying this style in forum.css.tmpl:

.MsgR2, .MsgR1, .MsgR3, .MsgIg {
background: #DEE2E6;
border-bottom: 1px solid #AAAAAA;
padding: 1px;
}

Change "padding" to about "7px". I also think that the box for the current time draws too much attention. I changed this to:

.curtime {
padding: 3px;
white-space: nowrap;
}

As far as the name goes, well, that's what custom themes are for. Aside from the tiny copyright message at the bottom of the page, your users need never see it.
Re: Whats in a name? [message #159142 is a reply to message #15785] Fri, 08 May 2009 02:04 Go to previous message
rayjt is currently offline  rayjt   United States
.MsgR2, .MsgR1, .MsgR3, .MsgIg {
background: #DEE2E6;
border-bottom: 1px solid #AAAAAA;
padding: 1px;
}

????????????????? Confused Confused Confused
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: "All Message Forum Notification" as a user setting
Next Topic: Newsgroup synchronizing
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-