FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Groups Manager
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Groups Manager [message #16132] Thu, 15 January 2004 17:00 Go to next message
Gribnif is currently offline  Gribnif   United States
1. Currently, a group leader can accidentally delete himself from the group, and there is no confirmation first. Once this happens, an administrator has to add him back in. I don't think a leader should be able to delete himself.

2. It would be much quicker to change permissions if the Group Manager screen used checkboxes rather than SELECTs (Yes/No popup menus).
Re: Groups Manager [message #16149 is a reply to message #16132] Fri, 16 January 2004 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Gribnif wrote on Thu, 15 January 2004 12:00

1. Currently, a group leader can accidentally delete himself from the group, and there is no confirmation first. Once this happens, an administrator has to add him back in. I don't think a leader should be able to delete himself.

I'll look into it.

Quote:

2. It would be much quicker to change permissions if the Group Manager screen used checkboxes rather than SELECTs (Yes/No popup menus).

No, doing so makes the page very very slow to load and unfortable to use as well create ambigious behaviour if >1 group is modified.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Groups Manager [message #16157 is a reply to message #16149] Fri, 16 January 2004 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Quote:

No, doing so makes the page very very slow to load and unfortable to use as well create ambigious behaviour if >1 group is modified.

I think we may be talking abot two different places. I mean the page called groupmgr, not the admin control panel.

There is only one series of yes/no popups in groupmgr, so I think that changing them to checkboxes would make the page a lot easier to use.
Re: Groups Manager [message #16158 is a reply to message #16157] Fri, 16 January 2004 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The only popup on groupmgr is the user finder.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Groups Manager [message #16208 is a reply to message #16158] Tue, 20 January 2004 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Really? Here's a screen shot:
http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=997
  • Attachment: temp.gif
    (Size: 19.48KB, Downloaded 1206 times)

[Updated on: Tue, 20 January 2004 19:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Groups Manager [message #16213 is a reply to message #16208] Tue, 20 January 2004 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
These are regular run of the mill select boxes, they are not popups.

I like the drop-downs because they clearly indicate the value of the field, while the checkbox would leave some ambiguity for some users.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Groups Manager [message #16217 is a reply to message #16213] Tue, 20 January 2004 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Something like this would not only be unambiguous, but easier to read and use:
http://fud.prohost.org/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=1000
  • Attachment: temp.gif
    (Size: 3.31KB, Downloaded 1172 times)
Re: Groups Manager [message #16218 is a reply to message #16217] Tue, 20 January 2004 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Given the number of permissions currently avaliable that approach would take too much screen space and would not lend itself too well when the number of settings increases.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Groups Manager [message #16239 is a reply to message #16218] Wed, 21 January 2004 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could use three columns, to conserve space.

It would still be far easier than it is to set them now. Changing Yes/No in 8 SELECT lists takes about 3 times as long to do as simply clicking on 8 checkboxes.
Re : Re: Groups Manager [message #16247 is a reply to message #16239] Thu, 22 January 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
math_adm is currently offline  math_adm   France
Gribnif a écrit le mer, 21 janvier 2004 15:02

You could use three columns, to conserve space.

It would still be far easier than it is to set them now. Changing Yes/No in 8 SELECT lists takes about 3 times as long to do as simply clicking on 8 checkboxes.

Not that I wouldn't like checkboxes, but I don't agree with you. With the current system, you can work very fast by using keyboard shortcuts. Just use tab to navigate from one field to another, and press "Y" for yes, "N" for no... At least I can do this very fast in Mozilla.
Re: Re : Re: Groups Manager [message #16253 is a reply to message #16247] Thu, 22 January 2004 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
math_adm wrote on Thu, 22 January 2004 04:00

Not that I wouldn't like checkboxes, but I don't agree with you. With the current system, you can work very fast by using keyboard shortcuts. Just use tab to navigate from one field to another, and press "Y" for yes, "N" for no... At least I can do this very fast in Mozilla.

That's a good idea, and one I hadn't thought of. I don't think most of my users would think of it either, though. They are, in general, not very tech-savvy, and have to add dozens of users to their groups.
Re: Re : Re: Groups Manager [message #16287 is a reply to message #16253] Sun, 25 January 2004 16:37 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Wow, you learn something new everyday Smile. I too have not considered the keyboard shorcuts, which by the way work in other browsers as well.

I think this is something that I may need to mention on that page, so everyone can benefit from this. That said you can do the same thing with checkboxes, only instead of Y/N you'd need to press the space bar to toggle their values.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: FUDcode in announcements?
Next Topic: size of the font
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 19:47:09 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02274 seconds