FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Alternative registration pr. cell phone?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Alternative registration pr. cell phone? [message #16507] Tue, 03 February 2004 15:21 Go to next message
Anonymous   Norway
Hi,

we're thinking of switching from our forum (asp) to FUD - but there's a problem.

Due to massive spamming we changed the registration system a year ago - users now register pr. text message. (Users with no cell phone or users living abroad are still offered manual registration).

This has dramatically improved the quality of our site - most spammers and saboteurs can now be excluded once and for all.

The question is how difficult it would be to develop the same function for FUD? Or does anyone know of a FUDforum that offers registration pr. text message?

All hints appreciated!!

Thx
Re: Alternative registration pr. cell phone? [message #16509 is a reply to message #16507] Tue, 03 February 2004 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I don't even know what pr.cell is/means, could you point me to the documentation?

It should be fairly simple to plug-in virtually any additional validation scheme into the registration system. That said I don't know how pr.cell works so I cannot tell you for sure.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Alternative registration pr. cell phone? [message #16516 is a reply to message #16509] Tue, 03 February 2004 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Norway
Sorry 'bout the poor English...

I'm talking about SMS. In addition to entering an email address, our users enter their cell phone number. The password is then sent to them as a SMS message.

The first message is paid for by us. When the user logs in for the first time, he/she receives a second SMS - a "receipt" - which in our case is overprized - so ultimately the user pay the price of 2 SMS's to register.
Re: Alternative registration pr. cell phone? [message #16523 is a reply to message #16516] Wed, 04 February 2004 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Implementing such a system is possible and not terribly difficult. However, this is not something I would consider for main-stream forum simply because SMS payment system brings with itself all sorts of complexities and not all people have cellphones Smile.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Alternative registration pr. cell phone? [message #16542 is a reply to message #16523] Wed, 04 February 2004 20:22 Go to previous message
Anonymous   Norway
Ilia wrote on Tue, 03 February 2004 19:54

...not all people have cellphones :).

They do here in Scandinavia ;)

Anyway, thanks for the reply. We will seriously consider putting someone on the task. If anyone here knows of a site already using this kind of registration with FUDForum, please let me know!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: NNTP suggestion
Next Topic: First post as description in topics RSS feed
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 21:12:34 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02193 seconds