FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Warn and delete
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Warn and delete [message #17539] Fri, 02 April 2004 15:39 Go to next message
humus is currently offline  humus   Norway
OK, here I go nagging again...

What I need is an improved "warning" function. For instance, the MODs could have a "Warn"-button next to the "delete" and "edit"-buttons.

Pushing that button would ideally open a PM directed to the user, saying something like "the following message has been deleted, because it is a serious violation of the forum's rules:

Then a copy of the message.

"

An even better function would be if that same action moves the message to eg. some other pre-determined forum or something - so the "deleted" message is kept for future reference.

You may think this is far-fetched - but keep in mind we're a newspaper. We have heavy traffid on the site, so it's necessary to keep the moderating process as efficient as possible. Also, we need to be able to keep "deleted" messages for future reference. At the moment I'm all for the option of NOT actually deleting messages, but instead moving them to hidden groups. Thus, even a large number of moderators can search for a specific user in those forums and get an overview over what warnings that person has received in the past, and how "serious" his/her violations were.

Does anyone have similar needs - and has anyone come up with a good solution?
Re: Warn and delete [message #17557 is a reply to message #17539] Sat, 03 April 2004 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
There are too many buttons there as is I'd rather not complicate page further with additional buttons.

On the delete page I'd consider adding a text box allowing the admin to specify a reason for deletion that would be either e-mail or PMed to the user. But I'd like to hear feedback from other users to see if this is really needed in all instances.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Warn and delete [message #17570 is a reply to message #17557] Mon, 05 April 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Norway
Ilia wrote on Sat, 03 April 2004 13:30

On the delete page I'd consider adding a text box allowing the admin to specify a reason for deletion that would be either e-mail or PMed to the user.

OK, a simpler version;

forhget about deletion - just add a "warning button" which sends a PM or email to the user. On default, the PM should consist of a copy of the deleted message, + a standard "warning" e.g. "The following message has been deleted as it is a violation of forum rules:" If necessary, the moderator could edit this message (to specify).

When I think about it, this is actually better than a deleting function - since I intend NOT to delete any of these messages, but instead move them to closed forums for future reference.
Re: Warn and delete [message #17571 is a reply to message #17557] Mon, 05 April 2004 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mocara is currently offline  mocara   United Kingdom
Ilia wrote on Sat, 03 April 2004 19:30

On the delete page I'd consider adding a text box allowing the admin to specify a reason for deletion that would be either e-mail or PMed to the user. But I'd like to hear feedback from other users to see if this is really needed in all instances.

Possibly don't need this in all instances but it is helpful for good group management to explain to people why their post was deleted. I try to do this every time to ensure we don't have come across as big brother.

Pais.
Re: Warn and delete [message #17585 is a reply to message #17571] Tue, 06 April 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mocara wrote on Mon, 05 April 2004 05:22

Possibly don't need this in all instances but it is helpful for good group management to explain to people why their post was deleted. I try to do this every time to ensure we don't have come across as big brother.

Pais.

My point exactly. We too need to be able to go back and, if necessary, explain to users why their post was deleted. When you have a large number of moderators working different shifts, this gets increasingly important.

So, Mocara - how do you solve that problem today? Do you delete posts - or just move them to closed forums? Do you see my point - or have better suggestions?
Re: Warn and delete [message #17586 is a reply to message #17585] Tue, 06 April 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mocara is currently offline  mocara   United Kingdom
Move them to a closed forum. But I had to play around to stop the Move-> information appearing when the post was moved for moderation reasons.
That is, say someone posts to the main forum and it should be in outfits/sightings then I want the "this post has been moved" indicator to appear. But say it has been moved to the holding forum for moderation as it has been rude, then I don't want that indicator to appear.

I hope that made sense Smile
Re: Warn and delete [message #17591 is a reply to message #17586] Tue, 06 April 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The next release of FUDforum will have (already added it) a feature allowing the person deleting the message to specify a reason for the deletion.
Re: Warn and delete [message #17614 is a reply to message #17586] Wed, 07 April 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mocara wrote on Tue, 06 April 2004 03:53

Move them to a closed forum. But I had to play around to stop the Move-> information appearing when the post was moved for moderation reasons.
That is, say someone posts to the main forum and it should be in outfits/sightings then I want the "this post has been moved" indicator to appear. But say it has been moved to the holding forum for moderation as it has been rude, then I don't want that indicator to appear.

I hope that made sense Smile

That made perfect sense. And your fix sounds exactly like something I want. Any chance of getting a peek?
Re: Warn and delete [message #17615 is a reply to message #17591] Wed, 07 April 2004 07:50 Go to previous message
Ilia wrote on Tue, 06 April 2004 09:08

The next release of FUDforum will have (already added it) a feature allowing the person deleting the message to specify a reason for the deletion.

Great! Look forward to seeing that! Thnx!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Stay Logged In Box
Next Topic: search only in someone's posts?
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 21:08:24 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02860 seconds