FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Incremental Backup
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Incremental Backup [message #17627] Wed, 07 April 2004 17:07 Go to next message
mocara is currently offline  mocara   United Kingdom
Hi,

What do you think about having a timed or incremental backup? Is this even possible?

When I backup my forum it effectively takes it offline for a while. I wouldn't say my forum was particularly big. 87927 messages. But that's 293Meg of storage and it takes sometime to backup.

The questions is, would it be possible to say
A) Backup all (Full)
B) Backup changes since last Full Backup?

That way one could do a weekly backup and then daily ones. This may all be pointless as the structure doesn't lend itself to this. Just a thought Smile

Pais.
Re: Incremental Backup [message #17628 is a reply to message #17627] Wed, 07 April 2004 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
In the next release of FUDforum it will be possible to run the datadump utility via command line, by commenting out a few lines inside the file.
This means that you could automate the process by sticking it into the cron and having the system automatically generate a complete forum backup.

Doing partial backups is very difficult especially given that majority of the data resides in MySQL and is not timestamped.

I'd say the ideal solution would be to do weekly backups and remove backups that are older then 1 month.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Incremental Backup [message #17630 is a reply to message #17628] Wed, 07 April 2004 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mocara is currently offline  mocara   United Kingdom
Ilia wrote on Wed, 07 April 2004 18:24

I'd say the ideal solution would be to do weekly backups and remove backups that are older then 1 month.

I'm more concerned with the time taken to backup and the fact that the load it places on the forum means the forum is unusable. But I suppose I could just do that at 5am in a cron Smile

Pais
Re: Incremental Backup [message #17631 is a reply to message #17630] Wed, 07 April 2004 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you unlock the forum you can do a faster backup via mysqldump for MySQL data and then making a tarball of the forum's files.
Re: Incremental Backup [message #23556 is a reply to message #17631] Tue, 22 March 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   United Kingdom
Out of interest, how well would FUD recover from any changes made between backing up the mysql data and backing up the files. In which order would you recommend backing these up?

Mocara
Re: Incremental Backup [message #23568 is a reply to message #23556] Tue, 22 March 2005 14:07 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
I'd recommend that you backup SQL first and then the files. As far as the changes go, if someone posts a message after you've made an SQL backup then that message would be lost.

So to prevent this from happening when making a backup you may want to temporarily shutdown the forum, make the backup and enable the forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: FUDforum for a big board - some thoughts...
Next Topic: Thread merging suggestion
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 18:34:19 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02682 seconds