FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Name for Anonymous and no Session-ID
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Name for Anonymous and no Session-ID [message #18388] Wed, 19 May 2004 22:31 Go to next message
Xonk is currently offline  Xonk   Germany
Hello,

I love your forum but I have actually some problems:

1) My users are unamazed that they have to register to post with a choosen name. So they write as guest and this is very confusing with all the guests.
I don't looked in your coding till now. But is it possible with no considerable expenditure to make an option in the fudforum to allow guests to post with a name?
- There must be a check if the name is already registered.
- In the list of postings etc. the anonym names should be distinguish from the registred from.

2) Because of problems with google I disabled URL-sessions. But now my registered users have problems to log-in. They don't want to change their cookies-config in the browser.
Will it be possible to allow to register with URL-session, but when starting surfing on the forum, no session-ID will be generated? First when go to login the session-ID should be generated. So the search-bots will not get sessions-URLs.

3) When URL-session is disabled (that's for another forum with other users), there should be a check, if the cookie could be set, otherwise the user should get an message to enable cookies.

4) Sorry for my bad english Wink

Greets,

Sven
Re: Name for Anonymous and no Session-ID [message #18389 is a reply to message #18388] Wed, 19 May 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
1) I am not planning named anon user posts. I am amazed at the fact that your users find this unusual, most forums don't even allow anonymous posting for various reasons. Allowing named anon posts creates all sorts of problems such as people pretending to be someone else etc...

2) You can turn on session cookies, that should allow most users to use cookies and would not add URL sessions that may cause search engine issues.

3) That's something I need to look into.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Name for Anonymous and no Session-ID [message #18413 is a reply to message #18389] Fri, 21 May 2004 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1) I have a forum with users, who are not very familiar with the PC. They don't catch the thing with registration and are anxious with that. In other german-forums with similar target groups anom posting is allowed (often PHPboard und Phorum) so that my users drift to them. So I think I'll modify the fudforum myself.

2) Yes, I have turned on session-cookies and it works with my IE in the default-security-setting. But many peoples seems to switch the IE settings to higher security or have programs like firewalls and antivirus, that block cookies. I have many mails and guest-postings that the users can't login anymore, so that I turned on URL-session again (which don't work, but I've told this already Wink).
It would be really nice, when the URL-session is first generated when logged-in. But this modification I will not do by myself.

3) Thanks. That would decrease the mails from my users, that they can't login.
Re: Name for Anonymous and no Session-ID [message #18415 is a reply to message #18413] Fri, 21 May 2004 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
People who use extremely paranoid cookie settings should make an exception for the forum (most browsers allow it).

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Name for Anonymous and no Session-ID [message #18440 is a reply to message #18388] Sat, 22 May 2004 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lahoo is currently offline  lahoo   Sweden
Xonk

My users are unamazed that they have to register to post with a choosen name. So they write as guest and this is very confusing with all the guests.
I don't looked in your coding till now. But is it possible with no considerable expenditure to make an option in the fudforum to allow guests to post with a name?
- There must be a check if the name is already registered.
- In the list of postings etc. the anonym names should be distinguish from the registred from.

Hej Sven.

I see your reasons and think that the suggestion is valid in some, maybe not all, forum situations. However, another interesting question is how to handle the situation when someone registers a new account under a name that someone used anonymously before.

If the FUD team changes theitr minds then the situation could be solved by pre- or suffixing the name entered by anonymous posters with a certain string. E.g. if I entered Gonk as name for an anonymous posting then the message would be filed as posted by something like anon_Gonk, -Gonk- or Gonk_unknown.
Re: Name for Anonymous and no Session-ID [message #18444 is a reply to message #18440] Sun, 23 May 2004 00:52 Go to previous message
Quote:

E.g. if I entered Gonk as name for an anonymous posting then the message would be filed as posted by something like anon_Gonk, -Gonk- or Gonk_unknown.

Yes, that's a good idea.
I think, I will add a row to the msg_table with the anom-name. The poster_id will then get a value for anom-posters (perhaps NULL if possible). Anom Names will ever begin with '!' and for registered users this prefix is forbidden.
I had a little look in the coding and don't think, that it costs much time. But it worries me, that we then will have expenditure with every update of the fudforum ...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: "curtime" css change.
Next Topic: A few ideas
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 18:05:30 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02878 seconds