FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » ilia - please tell us about the egroupware integration
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
ilia - please tell us about the egroupware integration [message #18676] Thu, 03 June 2004 02:25 Go to next message
Tobias Eigen is currently offline  Tobias Eigen   United States
Hi Ilia,

I have been reading about egroupware and egroupware/fud integration and am interested in more information. Can you tell us more about:

.. the history of this, why you chose to integrate fud with egw (and not with other CMSs out there) - is it particularly good?
.. how the integration has gone? I saw in one post that you said fud is slower in egw.
.. in practical terms, how does the integrated version work and how is it different from the standalone version?
.. and finally, how does the egw version relate to the standalone versions you are working on and how will future releases be handled?

I'm extremely curious, as I am in the process of choosing a framework/CMS for Kabissa and am very happy with the way FUD is turning out.

Cheers,

Tobias

Kabissa - Space for change in Africa
Re: ilia - please tell us about the egroupware integration [message #18678 is a reply to message #18676] Thu, 03 June 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
At the time that the integration was made eGW was one of the better CMS systems available and we were able to get sponsors for the integration process, which as you can imagine takes a fair bit of time.

The integration involved designing a custom version of FUDforum that uses the authentication system provided by eGW and integrates into the CMS itself as a module.

The integrated work is somewhat behind the main version (eGW is in feature freeze in preparation for the 1.0 release). Once the feature freeze is lifted I will synchronize the sources of the forum once again.

Speed wise standalone FUDforum is faster because it does not have the overhead of a CMS system on top of it.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: ilia - please tell us about the egroupware integration [message #18684 is a reply to message #18678] Thu, 03 June 2004 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   United States
Thanks Ilia - is there a contact at eGW you can give me who can tell me more about how the integration works?

Cheers,

Tobias
Re: ilia - please tell us about the egroupware integration [message #18686 is a reply to message #18684] Thu, 03 June 2004 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That would be me, I wrote the code Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: ilia - please tell us about the egroupware integration [message #18692 is a reply to message #18686] Thu, 03 June 2004 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ilia -

OK, then I'll keep asking questions. Smile I was interested in more background information (i.e. the story) about how you were convinced to do an integrated version.

Is this a "forked" version? I.e. can people using the integrated version expect to continue to benefit from new features you are developing? How different is the code?

Cheers,

Tobias

Re: ilia - please tell us about the egroupware integration [message #18695 is a reply to message #18692] Thu, 03 June 2004 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
They were able to find people/companies to sponsor the process.

The code base is about 20-15% different excluding the new features/fixes that were added since eGW was feature locked.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: ilia - please tell us about the egroupware integration [message #18737 is a reply to message #18695] Sat, 05 June 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tufan is currently offline  tufan   Turkey
Hi,

It's strange, I was just going to post a message asking if there is any cms that fudforum is integrated into, I saw this message.

Ok, here are the questions:

- Are there any other cmss than egw, which fudforum is in some way integrated into?

- Do you plan to keep the egw integration synchronized with the development of fudforum in the future?

http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/Buttons/firefox2/firefox-spread-btn-1.png
Re: ilia - please tell us about the egroupware integration [message #18738 is a reply to message #18737] Sat, 05 June 2004 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Quote:

Are there any other cmss than egw, which fudforum is in some way integrated into?

Due to the code similarity between egroupware & phpgroupware I heard reports that it works with it as well.

Quote:

Do you plan to keep the egw integration synchronized with the development of fudforum in the future?

yes

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: ilia - please tell us about the egroupware integration [message #18750 is a reply to message #18738] Sun, 06 June 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ilia,

I've been digging around in eGW and am very happy with it, esp with the fud forum integration. Congrats on the effort!

I have some initial questions:

Does the maillist.php script work the same way in the eGW version? I mean in particular the creation of users as you import messages?

Will I be able to import phpB into the eGW version?

If at a later stage I decide to abandon eGW and revert to the standalone version, is that going to be possible?

Thanks,

Tobias

Re: ilia - please tell us about the egroupware integration [message #18756 is a reply to message #18750] Sun, 06 June 2004 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
maillist.php does not work the same way in regard to user creation. In eGW environment FUDforum is not responsible for users and therefor it cannot create them. All messages are imported as anonymous in eGW environment.

Quote:

Will I be able to import phpBB into the eGW version?

no, the conversion scripts only work with stand-alone version, for the same reason, pertaining to user accounts.

Quote:

If at a later stage I decide to abandon eGW and revert to the standalone version, is that going to be possible?

At the moment no, but I would be willing to write a conversion utility.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: ilia - please tell us about the egroupware integration [message #18787 is a reply to message #18756] Wed, 09 June 2004 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   United States
Quote:

Quote:

Will I be able to import phpBB into the eGW version?

no, the conversion scripts only work with stand-alone version, for the same reason, pertaining to user accounts.

Is it possible to convert from the standalone version to the eGW version? I have quite a few postings I don't want to lose.

Cheers,

Tobias
Re: ilia - please tell us about the egroupware integration [message #18788 is a reply to message #18787] Wed, 09 June 2004 15:17 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
There is not tool available to perform such a conversion. The biggest problem is once again the handling of accounts.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: A few ideas
Next Topic: Disable automatic parsing of URLs
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 25 03:39:21 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03691 seconds