FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Installation Issues » web hotel screwed all permissins up
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
web hotel screwed all permissins up [message #19674] Wed, 18 August 2004 21:34 Go to next message
lahoo is currently offline  lahoo   Sweden
My girlfriend's forum based on v2.6.2 was crashed by the web hotel operator implementing safe_mode_gid (without any notice) and in the process they totally messed up permissions for all files and folders.

Some files got rw------- and most folders also got permissions that caused problems.

Not having a shell available makes it a pure hell (chmod file by file via an FTP client) trying to put everything back the way it's supposed to be - and I'm not even sure which file needs which permissions.

So, can the whole situation be corrected by reinstalling 2.6.2 (or upgrading to a newer version) without loosing forum data?
Re: web hotel screwed all permissins up [message #19675 is a reply to message #19674] Wed, 18 August 2004 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
If the permissions I broken you may not be able to upgrade the forum because it will not have the ability to modify/add/delete files.

That said, there is a quick fix, ask the hosting provider to chown all forum's directories to the user PHP runs as. That'll fix the problem.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: web hotel screwed all permissins up [message #19676 is a reply to message #19675] Wed, 18 August 2004 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lahoo is currently offline  lahoo   Sweden
If it takes involving them wouldn't it just be easier to have them chmod 777 everything. If they chown to another user my account will no longer be able to add/remove files, make backups etc. Perhaps, and here I'm guessing, chown-ing will put the files outside our disk quota and they ought not be too happy about that.
Re: web hotel screwed all permissins up [message #19681 is a reply to message #19676] Fri, 20 August 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Chmoding everything 777 would work too, although it's not the most secure approach Smile

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: web hotel screwed all permissins up [message #160415 is a reply to message #19674] Thu, 03 September 2009 18:28 Go to previous message
jhntulsa is currently offline  jhntulsa
It crashed by the web hotel operator that is implementing a safe_mode_gid, they totally messed up permissions for all files and folders. so what happened after that?

Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Fud Forum - Siteground
Next Topic: Admin panel/screen goes blank when setting resetting global options
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 16:50:18 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03454 seconds