FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » read-only forums
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
read-only forums [message #20343] Sat, 09 October 2004 03:24 Go to next message
applejack   Australia
Would be great, if there was an option to completely remove the register buttons when an administrator has disabled regisrations.

Also would like to see the post reply, and new topic buttons removable by administrator.
Re: read-only forums [message #20351 is a reply to message #20343] Sat, 09 October 2004 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
You can use the group permissions system to remove users ability to post in any forum. This however will not make the reply/quote buttons disappear.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: read-only forums [message #20352 is a reply to message #20351] Sat, 09 October 2004 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
applejack   Australia
yea, well that was the point exactly, to make them go away.
Re: read-only forums [message #20569 is a reply to message #20343] Tue, 19 October 2004 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
Yes, I acutally thought more than once that it would be nice for buttons to react on user rights (i.e. not appear if one cannot actually use it). Is it for the sake of performance the way it is now? (hardcoded buttons and rights verification occurs only on press buttons??). Weight between resource-saving and user-friendliness...

Lady of Avalon
Re: read-only forums [message #20574 is a reply to message #20569] Tue, 19 October 2004 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Performance is certainly a consideration in this, but so is usability. Consider the default situations when anon users don't have the ability to post messages, without a post button many people (you'll be surprised) won't even realize that they COULD post had they been logged in.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: read-only forums [message #20583 is a reply to message #20343] Wed, 20 October 2004 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abraxa is currently offline  Abraxa   Germany
Also I personally think it's easier for registered users who decide to browse the public parts of the forum anonymously: if they see a thread they want to post in they can click the Post Reply button, log in, and post - instead of having to leave the thread, log in, open the thread again and THEN click the Post Reply button since the button won't show up anytime sooner.

-Soeren
Re: read-only forums [message #20608 is a reply to message #20343] Wed, 20 October 2004 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
Ilia, Abraxa
Very good considerations, indeed.
I guess I'm rather original perhaps to define on some forums if I'm logged in by the presence of the button Post Reply (or get confused and post as anonymous where anon posts allowed Very Happy )

Lady of Avalon
Re: read-only forums [message #20614 is a reply to message #20343] Thu, 21 October 2004 00:53 Go to previous message
Abraxa is currently offline  Abraxa   Germany
I really think it's a 50:50 thing here. Both sides have valid arguments and it all boils down to personal preference and/or what's common on the net Smile

-Soeren
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic
Previous Topic: Insert username as form of address when reply
Next Topic: We Should be able to insert JPEG images ect. into our profile
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 21:23:48 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02631 seconds