FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Announcements » FUDforum 2.6.9 Released  () 1 Vote
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21748] Tue, 14 December 2004 15:26 Go to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Here goes the 2.6.9 release. This release is the culmination of the last few months of tunes and upgrades. The final release incorporates the changes found in the previous RCs as well as the following bug fixes:

Changes:
  1. Don't remove sticky/announcement topics during pruning.
  2. Optimize out a query during file attachment.
  3. Sub-query optimization for MySQL 4.1 and PostgreSQL for poll option removal.
  4. Fixed charset conversion in NNTP/Mailing List import.
  5. Make sure mailing list and nntp synchronization is only done when asked for.
  6. Don't lose sort order on show posts pager.
  7. Fixed warning in category order rebuild and possible query failure when adding 1st category.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21749 is a reply to message #21748] Tue, 14 December 2004 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JamesS is currently offline  JamesS   United States
I was hoping this would be released before my scheduled six month cleanup on the 1st. So far everything is working well; upgraded from 2.6.7 without a hitch.
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21760 is a reply to message #21748] Wed, 15 December 2004 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
I'm unsure if it's a bug, but it was sad to realize with all new cool features that somehow the [Unread] text mark disappeared from bottom-page drop-down menu of forums - it was so handy, I used this menu all the time to navigate to still unread forums and now it became nearly half useless Sad (OK, may be there are other unread forums and topics lists kind in message navigator I never really tried, still it was handy as the most obvious way to do so). Was it really intentional? Why then?

Lady of Avalon
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21761 is a reply to message #21760] Wed, 15 December 2004 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You're the first person to notice and while it was a neat little feature it was quite performance unfriendly. As such I believe that something will improve the user experience for most is not a bad thing to sacrifice for a few. Finding unread messages is easy via the "unread" messages link plus the unread icons on the forum listing.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21763 is a reply to message #21748] Wed, 15 December 2004 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*sigh* I just thought it was a bug that would be fixed. I don't use the "Unread Messages" and "Today's Messages" type links because the context is broken. I rely heavily on the context off the thread when reading a post.
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21764 is a reply to message #21763] Wed, 15 December 2004 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The idicators mentioned are context-less also and only reflect the status of an entire forum same as "unread" icons on the forum listing.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21765 is a reply to message #21748] Wed, 15 December 2004 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Right, which makes it easier to jump to the next forum that has threads with unread messages. I read all new posts by forum and thread. I assume that is is how Wild_Cat does it as well.
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21766 is a reply to message #21765] Wed, 15 December 2004 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
JamesS wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 09:54

Right, which makes it easier to jump to the next forum that has threads with unread messages. I read all new posts by forum and thread. I assume that is is how Wild_Cat does it as well.

Well, if you click the "unread messages" on the front page it'll give you all messages you haven't read broken down by category/forum/topic.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21767 is a reply to message #21748] Wed, 15 December 2004 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The messages are out of context with the thread. If "Unread Messages" just provided links to all the threads that have been updated since the last time I read the board then I would probably use it. As it is, the format is something I just can't use. *shrug*
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21768 is a reply to message #21767] Wed, 15 December 2004 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That's exactly what it does... it shows all messages that were posted since you last read them...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21769 is a reply to message #21748] Wed, 15 December 2004 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know. It shows only the messages that were posted since I last read the board. That is my issue with it. It is pieces of all threads that have been updated on one page. It is not a list of all threads that have been updated. We are talking about completely different UI mechanisms here.
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21788 is a reply to message #21761] Thu, 16 December 2004 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, sure, it just means one extra click every time when I dealed with one forum - just to see what is another among those I'm interested in where there are unread messages, that's all!

For instance, here I don't read every forum and when I click on "unread messages" on the first page, it gives me all new messages. Alternately, I have new messages list within a forum and then - see above - I have to return back to main page before continuing in difference of what had been one click before.

But well, since it's affecting performance... which doesn't matter much in my case but I guess might be important for someone... What about a kind of mechanism letting do easier the logic of going through forums I described as such:

A link beside "unread messages" inside a forum kinda "next unread forum", which could lead to a script which would only when clicked calculate what is the next forum I'm interested in - basing on my forum subscriptions - and give the list on unread messages in it?

OK, OK, I know I can do it myself if I want it too much... just may be not only two of us find such a way of navigation useful since it has been present and well visible all the time!

Lady of Avalon
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21789 is a reply to message #21788] Thu, 16 December 2004 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And then again - why do we need this list in the bottom at all& I'm sure, it would gain a bit in performance to remove it as well! Since it doesn't bear any useful information any more. One can click on "Home" very well to get access to the rest of the forums! Twisted Evil

Lady of Avalon
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21790 is a reply to message #21788] Thu, 16 December 2004 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
If you click on the unread messages link and then click on subscribed forums/topics link you will ONLY see messages new messages inside forums/topics you are subscribed to.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21792 is a reply to message #21790] Thu, 16 December 2004 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh! That sounds much better!
Still having to open replies in new window to not lose the list, but that's fine. Just didn't know.
Thanks for explaining! Smile

Lady of Avalon
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21793 is a reply to message #21792] Thu, 16 December 2004 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My wrong! For more I get back to the unread list! (even if with already replied message and my reply). Nearly perfect. Thanks for the great software and for patience with us

Lady of Avalon
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21794 is a reply to message #21793] Thu, 16 December 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just one trick - the messages don't get marked as read on display in "unread messages" list, if one does not reply Sad When a message is replied, the forum isn't marked as read any more, but the thread continues being marked as unread and both messages - the new and my own replied too. So not so handy after all to get then what you already read... I understand if I reply to something from "unread messages" they should remain marked as unread for me being able to see the rest indeed unread when I get back.... To say least, it's confusing using this list which does not affect actual status of threads reading for me as user.

Ummm... May be it would be possible then to avoid confusion to have a link in "unread messages" to mark at least a whole forum as read, so that I could deal with the rest of really unread messages without those already read indeed interfering with it, and also to avoid confusion later when one comes in normal forum view? Was I clear? Confused

Lady of Avalon
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21795 is a reply to message #21794] Thu, 16 December 2004 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
To mark currently viewable message as read, simply click the "more unread messages" link at the bottom. This will mark all current visibile messages as read and display any further unread messages if any are available.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21796 is a reply to message #21795] Thu, 16 December 2004 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, this could be substitution/ The only problem - not obvious to any user if he only had 2-3 unread msgs that he needs to click on "next" to get them marked read and not be confused.

Another use of [unread] mark at the bottom list of forums was that if there was any new messages while I were seeing another forum, I were seeing it by ünread"mark appearing in the list. Otherwise I should especially check it...

Well, what to say, this "unread" at the bottom was quite more obvious mechanism while you talked me into the same things still being possible, but they all required explanations and how should everybody explain to all users why he say has threads still marked unread etc?... Performance should not overpower ease of use, as to me. *sigh*
--------------------------------------
BTW, one more thing - in the template there is lack of links in UserCP some links are marked as UserCP class and some are not, resulting in different look of links in this sting/ In your forum it looks uniform but in mine fresh upgrade which replaced templates again I have half of the upper links underlined say, not to speak about funny look of changes in custom CSS... Just to let you know about need to recheck the markup.

Lady of Avalon

[Updated on: Thu, 16 December 2004 23:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21803 is a reply to message #21796] Fri, 17 December 2004 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I checked usercp.tmpl and all links have class="UserControlPanel", if you spot any that I missed please let me know.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21832 is a reply to message #21803] Mon, 20 December 2004 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have spotted the reason of the problem - it's in forum.css file. The matter is it contains no subclass for a.UserControlPanel:visited, so it takes visited link sttyle from a:visited and thus visited links become underlined while the CP itself isn't - in default forum installation. It can affect other things too like in my case when I changed the font-size and color of UserCP links - I've got some links updated and some different, then I found the problem.

Actually I never used UserCP on this forum, now I did and dioscovered the same inconsistency is present even here (counting that marking UserCP links as visited whhile it's not in the rest of the forum, it's irrelevant in itself).

Lady of Avalon

[Updated on: Mon, 20 December 2004 16:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21833 is a reply to message #21832] Mon, 20 December 2004 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
So making CSS do: a.UserControlPanel, a.UserControlPanel:visited
fixes the problem?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #21868 is a reply to message #21833] Wed, 22 December 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it does, that's what I've done exactly

Lady of Avalon
Re: FUDforum 2.6.9 Released [message #22711 is a reply to message #21789] Fri, 11 February 2005 15:55 Go to previous message
her2support is currently offline  her2support   United States
Test Post..Testing to see if I can post out of Sequnce>>
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: FUDforum 2.6.10RC3 Released
Next Topic: FUDforum 2.6.11 Released
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 12:43:51 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03242 seconds