FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » How To » Move a forum to another site host
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Move a forum to another site host [message #22798] Wed, 16 February 2005 17:31 Go to next message
WilliamBurns is currently offline  WilliamBurns   United States
I have been up against capacity limits for months, which finally resulted in some costly corruption of forum data, and so I would like to move my entire website to another host system with more space, etc. The question is: Can I simply move the forum folders as is, preserving the folder contents and relative positions, or do I need to install the forum on the new site and somehow import the data? If the latter, is there a particular script available to help do this? If not, how do I do it?
Re: Move a forum to another site host [message #22799 is a reply to message #22798] Wed, 16 February 2005 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
If you have a large forum it is simpler to move the data manually.

To do this you need to do the following:

1) make mysql dump of all the forum data.
2) make archive of all forum files (if web root == data root, don't forget to archive data root).
3) Import mysql dump on new server.
4) Extract file archive.
5) Adjust GLOBALS.php inside include/ directory to correspond with new database settings and file paths.
6) Make sure that GLOBALS.php in forum web root & web_root/adm dirs is a symlink to the one in include.
7) Login to the forum via admin interface (forum_url/adm/) and rebuild your themes.

That's it.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Move a forum to another site host [message #23010 is a reply to message #22799] Thu, 24 February 2005 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WilliamBurns is currently offline  WilliamBurns   United States
My needs may have changed somewhat, since my corrupt data files have not been recoverable. The mysql repair function was unable to repair FUD261_index, and this ~15 megabyte file was also corrupt on backups. The result is that my forum is back up with essentially gibberish in all posts prior to 2/17/05. Since 2/17/05, all new posts seem to make sense and be correct. It begins to look like I will be "pruning" all posts prior to 2/17/05, which leaves me with a mere handful of posts that make sense in each of about ten discussion topics. I'm wondering if there is another way to move the content to the new site.

Thanks for the explicit list of instructions. I may be able to get the site tech support to assist me in making archives of all the forum files. I assume this is all the files in the forumdata folder as well as all the files in the browsable wforum folder.

The site I'd like to move to only offers one database, and uses mysql 3.23.43, which is earlier than the 3.23.58 that I am currently using. Will that be a problem?
Re: Move a forum to another site host [message #23011 is a reply to message #23010] Thu, 24 February 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
To the best of my knowledge mysqldump from 3.23.43 should be completely compabtible with 3.23.58.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Move a forum to another site host [message #23529 is a reply to message #22799] Sun, 20 March 2005 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fjrohlf is currently offline  fjrohlf   United States
I have tried to follow these instructions in order to move a forum to a new computer but am having a problems.

I have done the following:
Copied the contents of the files and messages directories to the new computer. I changed the owner and group to apache.

I have dumped the forum mysql data with no problem. I noticed that the file used the prefix fud_ for the table names so I changed them to fud26_. I also noticed it pointed to a forumdata directory rather than FUDform in the new version. I then decided to change the database name in this file to forumdata3 so it would not corrupt the new empty installation. I thought it might allow me to switch between the old and new by just changing the name in the GLOBALS.php file.

I then tried that and it gives me an error in line 58 of the index.php file.

What have I done wrong? Is the problem that the old version 2.3.2 is just too old to allow this simple transfer?

Jim

Jim
Re: Move a forum to another site host [message #23539 is a reply to message #23529] Mon, 21 March 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
New version?

If you were moving files you didn't need to install a new forum on the destination server.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Move a forum to another site host [message #23540 is a reply to message #23539] Mon, 21 March 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think I understand your response.

How can I not install the FUD software on the new server and expect it to work?

Jim
Re: Move a forum to another site host [message #23541 is a reply to message #23540] Mon, 21 March 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Because the files that you are moving should contain ALL of the data from the old server including the files necessary to run the forum. Which is why after importing SQL data the only thing you need to do is adjust GLOBALS.php and then rebuild the theme.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Move a forum to another site host [message #23542 is a reply to message #23541] Mon, 21 March 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After importing the MySQL data the forum will not run (error on line 58) so I cannot get to the admin control panel to rebuild the theme or do anything else.

Jim
Re: Move a forum to another site host [message #23543 is a reply to message #23542] Mon, 21 March 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Did you adjust GLOBALS.php? If so, did you make sure it does not have any parse errors in it?

Assuming the files were not corrupted by the transfer it is not possible for a PHP script to run ok on one server and generate a parser error on another.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Move a forum to another site host [message #23544 is a reply to message #23543] Mon, 21 March 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, it is probalby not the same script. As I mentioned prevously, the data files are from version 2.3.2 and am trying to use them on the current version of the forum software. As I also mentioned previously, I only moved the MySQL data (but called the database forumdata3) and the contents of the files and messages directories to the new server (since those directories were empty on the new server).

I changed the GLOBALS.php file to say that the database was forumdata3.

I just noticed that on the old server there were two fewer MySQL tables defined than on the new server (I have not yet checked to see which they are). Perhaps that means that the files are not compatible. Perhaps I should install the old (2.3.2) FUD software on the new server, import my data, and then try to run an upgrade script?

Jim
Re: Move a forum to another site host [message #23551 is a reply to message #23544] Mon, 21 March 2005 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
You cannot do that, the old version is not compatible with the new. you need to restore the OLD forum on the new server and then run the upgrade script to perform the version "conversion".

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Move a forum to another site host [message #23557 is a reply to message #23551] Tue, 22 March 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, I have deleted all of the forum files on my new server and installed the same version of FUD as on the old server. I then used FUD to create a forum datadump on the old server and then tried to import it using the FUD import data function on the new server.

I got many errors. Most were of the following format:
Quote:

Commencing restore of data files
ERROR: Directory '/var/www/html/forum//errors/.backup/template_1027713844/src' does not exist and the import script was unable to create it

Note the double slash that was present in every message.

The last few messages were:
Quote:

Commencing restore of SQL data
Processed 10000 queries
Processed 20000 queries
() 1146: Table 'forumdata.fud23_style' doesn't exist
Query: INSERT INTO fud23_style (id,name,enabled,default_s) VALUES(1,'Core Layout','N','N')
Server Version: 3.23.58
[Referring Page] http://192.168.1.11/forum/adm/admimport.php

Jim
Re: Move a forum to another site host [message #23558 is a reply to message #23557] Tue, 22 March 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course after seeing all those messages, I cannot start the forum. I get the following messages when I click on return to forum.
Quote:

Warning: main(theme//index.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/forum/index.php on line 677

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'theme//index.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in /var/www/html/forum/index.php on line 677

So I will have to install the forum again. This is taking far too much time for what should not be a very unusual task of moving the forum to a new server.

Jim
Re: Move a forum to another site host [message #23569 is a reply to message #23558] Tue, 22 March 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
There was a bug with dump/import process in the old forum. Which is why I said make an archive of the files and via mysqldump make the dump of the SQL data moving both to the new server and then adjusting the GLOBALS.php

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Move a forum to another site host [message #23571 is a reply to message #23569] Tue, 22 March 2005 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the clarification. In addition to the mysql dump, an archive of all of the files or just those in the messages and files directories?

Jim
Re: Move a forum to another site host [message #23572 is a reply to message #23571] Tue, 22 March 2005 15:45 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Yup, you need the archive of ALL the forum's files on disk. This means entire web and data directory (if they are separate).
You can find their paths in $WWW_ROOT_DISK & $DATA_DIR vars in GLOBALS.php

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Default user mail notifications
Next Topic: 2 FUDForum applications, 1 database
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:13:58 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03303 seconds