FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Disable editing after reply
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Disable editing after reply [message #23345] Sun, 13 March 2005 07:16 Go to next message
naudefj is currently offline  naudefj   South Africa
Administrator
Core Developer
Hi,

Please consider adding a feature to disable editing of messages with replies. I'm sick of people making my replies invalid because they constantly edit their messages.

The "Edit Time Limit (minutes):" option in the Admin CP helps, but is not enough to prevent this from happening.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Disable editing after reply [message #23348 is a reply to message #23345] Sun, 13 March 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
if you set it to a very small value like 1 (minute) you will effectively prevent people from editing their own messages.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Disable editing after reply [message #23352 is a reply to message #23348] Sun, 13 March 2005 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
To me the time limit makes little sense. I would like people to edit their messages as much as they want, but not after someone replied to it.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Disable editing after reply [message #23353 is a reply to message #23352] Sun, 13 March 2005 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It's a matter of opinion and the requirments of a particular installation. Some admins don't want to have their users to be able to edit message period, other want to allow users the freedom to modify their responses at any time and there are of course people like yourself that want a particular mix.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Disable editing after reply [message #23370 is a reply to message #23353] Mon, 14 March 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
It's a pity. This feature is being implemented into forms like YABB and others, but FUDForum users will have to live without it Sad

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Disable editing after reply [message #23373 is a reply to message #23370] Mon, 14 March 2005 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Just because some other forums implement a certain feature does not mean FUDforum has to do it as well. As it stands now, I see no need for it, but if the general user base sees a value in this functionality and they indicate it via this thread (or other threads) I will re-evaluate the situation.

That said, I would definately encourage you to write a patch for this thing and post it in the "Code Hacks" forum, so those who do want the functionality can gain it by applying a simple patch.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Disable editing after reply [message #23382 is a reply to message #23373] Mon, 14 March 2005 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
This is quite easy to implement. Something like this should do for a quick fix:

--- drawmsg.inc.t.old   2005-03-14 15:10:17.000000000 -0600
+++ drawmsg.inc.t       2005-03-14 15:38:51.000000000 -0600
@@ -374,7 +374,7 @@

$delete_link = $perms & 32 ? '{TEMPLATE: dmsg_delete_link}' : '';

-               if (_uid && ($perms & 16 || (_uid == $obj->poster_id && (!$GLOBALS['EDIT_TIME_LIMIT'] || __request_timestamp__ - $obj->post_stamp < $GLOBALS['EDIT_TIME_LIMIT'] * 60)))) {
+               if (_uid && ($perms & 16 || (_uid == $obj->poster_id && (!$GLOBALS['EDIT_TIME_LIMIT'] || __request_timestamp__ - $obj->post_stamp < $GLOBALS['EDIT_TIME_LIMIT'] * 60) && $obj->id == $obj->last_post_id))) {
                        $edit_link = '{TEMPLATE: dmsg_edit_link}';
                } else {
                        $edit_link = '';

Nevertheless, one should add an option in the admin CP to switch this feature on or off.

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Disable editing after reply [message #23383 is a reply to message #23382] Mon, 14 March 2005 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Your patch does not quite reflect the functionality we've discussed. Given your patch it would not be possible to edit a message once any other message had been posted in the topic, even though that message may not be a reply to the message being edited.
To do a proper check would actually require executing a query based on thread_id and reply_to fields of the threads table.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Disable editing after reply [message #23390 is a reply to message #23383] Tue, 15 March 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   South Africa
At first, I've considered doing an extra select. However, the provided solution is close enough and will have the desired effect without adding too much overhead. Nothing wrong with a bit of lateral thinking, or is there?

Best regards.

Frank
Re: Disable editing after reply [message #23395 is a reply to message #23345] Tue, 15 March 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JamesS is currently offline  JamesS   United States
The problem is it doesn't take the threaded nature of FUDforum in to account. The patch treats every message as if it were a direct reply to the topic starter. While I, and probably most everyone else, use the software in that manner the fact remains that threading is deeply ingrained in FUDforum and should not be ignored in a patch such as this.
Re: Disable editing after reply [message #23399 is a reply to message #23390] Tue, 15 March 2005 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
Anonymous wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 00:33

At first, I've considered doing an extra select. However, the provided solution is close enough and will have the desired effect without adding too much overhead. Nothing wrong with a bit of lateral thinking, or is there?

Best regards.

Frank

It certainly a possible solution, I am merely indicating that the original description does not quite match the actual code. And that may be an important note for people seeking to apply the patch.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Disable editing & deleting after reply [message #24089 is a reply to message #23373] Thu, 14 April 2005 18:46 Go to previous message
Wild_Cat is currently offline  Wild_Cat   Ukraine
I did encounter once a problem (in a release of about 2 years ago) when the user simply put x instead of all his messages making all replies inconsistent. Now if I set a time limit for editing, I must also disable the ability to delete own messages for everybody in protection against such "not constant minds".

So I also think that the suggested functionality plus such a blocking of deletion of just replied messages (not for all users & any messages) would be much useful.

Lady of Avalon
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: 2Ilia: Are there any variants for copyrights removal?
Next Topic: Profile image
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 25 20:00:15 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02222 seconds