FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Is fudforum no longer GPL?
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Is fudforum no longer GPL? [message #24177] Tue, 19 April 2005 05:50 Go to next message
Anonymous   Sweden
I just downloaded the latest zip for fudforum and noticed that the source is partially in binary format. The source is also obfuscated (not in human readable format) by forcing the use of an installer to create files. I am not sure but providing source in this manner is not in keeping with the GPL license used.

I was interested in using the fudapi to create an interface with a number of CMS systems. I also need to make adjustments to the code to accomodate an older PHP This cannot be done if the code cannot be read or deciphered.

There is no api documentation or developer documentation that I can see either. PHPdoc or Doxygen cannot decipher the source either. There is no list of minimal system requirements anywhere that I can see.

So is Fudforum going commercial? or are these missing items an oversite?

Re: Is fudforum no longer GPL? [message #24181 is a reply to message #24177] Tue, 19 April 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
FUDforum is GPL, there is no change to that. The installer is a script with a datadump in the end that is later extracted into the actual sources.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Is fudforum no longer GPL? [message #24221 is a reply to message #24177] Wed, 20 April 2005 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Sweden
What is to be done if the server does not like the installer or does not have support for the installer (uses SAPI and other unsupported items). But fudforum would run if the installer was not used and the files uploaded via FTP?

The servers are older Cobalts which would run FUD forum if adjusted properly. Is there a developer version of Fud forum? One that is not binary sourced? How does one develop or write documentation or debug when the installer does not work?

Users should be given the option of downloading installer or source code versions. It is hard to find a GNU GPL project that does not provide both.

I still have not been able to find any server requirements in the documentation or Google search.
Re: Is fudforum no longer GPL? [message #24222 is a reply to message #24221] Wed, 20 April 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The sources are available from the CVS repository, had you checked the other forums or ran search you be able to see how to access this information.

You are probably looking @ the compiled files generated by the templating system, you need to look iniside the src/ include directories at files ending with *.t and *.php files inside scripts/.

Installer works 99% of time, when it does not it gives you an error message explaining why.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Is fudforum no longer GPL? [message #24224 is a reply to message #24222] Wed, 20 April 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Sweden
Okay,thanks.

I have had no luck finding the the cvs though.

http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/

Does not respond. Is this the right URL?
Re: Is fudforum no longer GPL? [message #24226 is a reply to message #24224] Wed, 20 April 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Sweden
Okay, I took someones suggestion and ran the installer locally using Xampp. So now I have the files I need.

Thanks again.
Re: Is fudforum no longer GPL? [message #24228 is a reply to message #24224] Wed, 20 April 2005 13:44 Go to previous message
Administrator
Core Developer
Anonymous wrote on Wed, 20 April 2005 09:10

Okay,thanks.

I have had no luck finding the the cvs though.

http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/

Does not respond. Is this the right URL?

That's the address to the Web CVS interface is:
http://cvs.prohost.org/c/index.cgi/FUDforum/timeline

But the actual cvs can be accessed via normal means using a CVS client using instructions posted at the top of FUDforum 2.6 forum.

FUDforum Core Developer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Javascript collapsing view
Next Topic: "Invalid password reset key" message
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 25 17:34:08 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02624 seconds