FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » More information in the members list
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
More information in the members list [message #25254] Thu, 02 June 2005 08:29 Go to next message
heron is currently offline  heron   Germany
Hi,

I'm in the process of migrating several mailing lists to a FUDforum. Currently we run the MLs and the forum in parallel, but we are not sure about the acceptance of the forum. It would be very helpful to see the following information in the members list (at least for the forum administrator):

* Date of last login
* Number of subscribed forums
* Number of subscribed topics

I'm pretty sure this information is readily available in the database, but I haven't found a way to look at it. Having the ability to sort by this information would be a great plus.

On the administrator's statistic page, the ability to generate a 'number of visitors per time period' graph would be great.

Thanks for considering,
Chris
Re: More information in the members list [message #25287 is a reply to message #25254] Fri, 03 June 2005 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The date of last visit is already available on the user's profile page, adding it to the member list would make that page stretch in excess of 800x600 forcing a horizontal scroll for visitors.

As far as subscription counts I don't see how that would be useful...

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: More information in the members list [message #25301 is a reply to message #25287] Sun, 05 June 2005 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heron is currently offline  heron   Germany
I understand the scrolling argument, but I don't think visitors would mind it that much. 800x600 is pretty rare these days and having some more information would really make that page more valuable. Maybe showing these additional information after enabling the full list is a good compromise here.

I know that the last login date is already available in the individual user pages, but it's really not practical to look through several hundred user pages just to find out who visited the forum the last week.

I have sending of full posts in notification mails enabled to provide a similar experience to the mailing lists. I don't get "viewed" hits from those who just read the post in the mail. Subscription numbers are the only way I can find out how many users have really migrated from the MLs to the forum.

Chris
Re: More information in the members list [message #25303 is a reply to message #25301] Sun, 05 June 2005 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Chris, I think some of your forum needs are use specific, and changes you ask for would not be of use to most users.

As far as the resolution for member list, while 800x600 is "only" the resolution of choise for 30% of users, not everyone has their browser full screen. Which makes their screen size smaller still.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: More information in the members list [message #25325 is a reply to message #25303] Mon, 06 June 2005 18:10 Go to previous message
jonmoss is currently offline  jonmoss   United States

I to have asked for the last login date to be added to the member list. I've gone hunting in the database for the forum subscription information so i normally just query the database for that information.

Thankfully, I only have about 15 users to worry about on my FUDForum-only site. I have over a hundred on my eGroupWare site, but then the Memberlist is not available in eGroupWare so I don't worry about it there.

I haven't used (nor do I every plan to use again) 800x600. My employer standardized on 1280x1024 over a year ago. Even with my browser not fullscreen, I have plenty of screenspace for more displayed columns/information on the Member List page.

Thanks and have a great day!

Jon Moss
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Questions
Next Topic: Easy Addition: Search via username
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 19 03:18:14 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02340 seconds