FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » General » FUDforum in eGroupWare » FUDForum and integration / embedding
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
FUDForum and integration / embedding [message #25940] Sun, 26 June 2005 15:09 Go to next message
valiant is currently offline  valiant   Switzerland
Hi,

I'm from the Gallery (G2) project and we've developed a way to integrate G2 with other applications (portals, CMS, forums, ...).

We're quite happy with our solution, but I'd still be curious how you integrated FUDForum in Egroupware.
- Do you share a single user / group database table or does each application have its own user / group tables? We went with the latter approach after experimenting with the former.
- How do you embed FUDForm visually in Egroupware? In G2, we can switch between outputting directly or returning HTML. When embedded, we return HTML and the other application can put that HTML is one of its templates. If this wasn't possible, one could also use output buffering, with the drawback of a larger memory footprint.
- How are users authorized in embedded FUDForum? Did you replace some session code, do you still use your own session cookies? In G2, we still use our own session cookies and the other application just tells us who's logged in at the moment.
- When FUDForum is embedded in Egroupware, can you still access it in standalone?
- Is FUDForum in Egroupware a fork or does it require a patch to work in Egroupware?

- Andy

[Updated on: Sun, 26 June 2005 15:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: FUDForum and integration / embedding [message #25953 is a reply to message #25940] Mon, 27 June 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Quote:

- Do you share a single user / group database table or does each application have its own user / group tables? We went with the latter approach after experimenting with the former.

No, what the forum does is implement callbacks that eGW uses when any user related change is performed (Ex. Add/Delete/Update). These functions then work with the forum's own user's table.

Quote:

- How do you embed FUDForm visually in Egroupware? In G2, we can switch between outputting directly or returning HTML. When embedded, we return HTML and the other application can put that HTML is one of its templates. If this wasn't possible, one could also use output buffering, with the drawback of a larger memory footprint.

The forum includes eGW headers/footers which embeds into eGW layout and CSS was modified to resemble eGW's appearance. That said the forum still uses it's own templating system.

Quote:

- How are users authorized in embedded FUDForum? Did you replace some session code, do you still use your own session cookies? In G2, we still use our own session cookies and the other application just tells us who's logged in at the moment.

They are authorized initially based on eGW session id.

Quote:

- When FUDForum is embedded in Egroupware, can you still access it in standalone?

No, it's pretty much a part of eGW.

Quote:

- Is FUDForum in Egroupware a fork or does it require a patch to work in Egroupware?

It's a fork, which makes maintenance a bit of a nightmare. Recents version of FUDforum has API and single-logon script which is what I'd recommend using when integrating it with other apps.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDForum and integration / embedding [message #26036 is a reply to message #25940] Sat, 02 July 2005 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
valiant is currently offline  valiant   Switzerland
thanks for the information Ilia.

more or less we're using the same approach then.
in G2, no fork is required. but i'd still be interested in your single-logon script / API.

may i recommend looking into an integration of fudforum with xaraya, mambo, drupal and other CMS which support this way of integration?

basically, they offer hooks for user create/update/delete events which makes integration really easy and perfect. that's the way we integrate G2 with them. we "register our user create/update/delete callbacks in the CMS" to use your terminology.

typo3 devs assured that they will change typo3 in a way such that no user table interaction will be possible without calling the user create/update/delete hooks. but it may take a while.
even WP supports now this kind of hooks. older portal systems (*nuke) lack of this functionality though.

it's great to hear that you follow the same direction concerning integration. Smile
Re: FUDForum and integration / embedding [message #26038 is a reply to message #26036] Sat, 02 July 2005 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The single login api script can be found inside the scripts/ directory or via the FUDforum's CVS.

I am of a very low opinion of CMS applications, for the most part they are bloated pieces of code designed with very little security in mind.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDForum and integration / embedding [message #29620 is a reply to message #25940] Wed, 04 January 2006 09:48 Go to previous message
omgs is currently offline  omgs   Spain
Surely you have thought about this before and it's not new, but I think forum software in general should approach to a kind of api/classes that allows easy integration with other CMS (of course, taking that there's a good internal design), without loss of funcionalities, and the extra work relies on the "connection classes". I think that if these "connection classes" just extended the "internal" ones in a way that transparently modify the session auth and user management (maybe another issues I'm not aware of at this time), it would simply rock, and the fudforum developers shouldn't have to worry about "the other", apart from having advantage in this matter. This would also allow easy upgrades (at least, in the same conditions than standalone installations). I think it's more difficult what is already done about having many different conversion scripts (varying depending on versions) than these classes. Maybe there's some work in progress about this, but if not, at least a "declaration" of what both parts need would be a good starting point, I think. Also (and it's why I replied here) this covers the embedding, and in this particular case because of this forum, in egw site manager, which doesn't exist (but old forum has).
I can be a tester of any suggestion, because I actually have fudforum embedded in an iframe, and want to get rid of it. Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Reinstall FUDeGW
Next Topic: Multiple FudForum in eGW
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:02:13 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02192 seconds