FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » Limiting size of image file attachments
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Limiting size of image file attachments [message #26335] Thu, 14 July 2005 23:03 Go to next message
BobB is currently offline  BobB   United States
It would be nice if image file attachments could be limited in terms of height and width. I'm also told that some forums have some kind of automatic thumbnailing feature, but I don't know anything about how those work.
Re: Limiting size of image file attachments [message #26342 is a reply to message #26335] Fri, 15 July 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Limited as in your attached image cannot be more then X pixels by Y pixels?

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Limiting size of image file attachments [message #26344 is a reply to message #26342] Fri, 15 July 2005 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 17:15

Limited as in your attached image cannot be more then X pixels by Y pixels?

Yes. I'd kept the maximum attachment size large in case someone wanted to attach a video or other large file but, instead, people have posted pictures that are so huge that, since pictures get dispayed on the forum, they obscure the messages. It would be nice to retain the option to attach large but non-image (non-displayed) files, but avoid those huge photos. Some people do not know how to re-size photos.

Another option might be to not have image files displayed, but have links to click on to view them instead. The automatic thumbnail feature would be yet another option.

[Updated on: Fri, 15 July 2005 22:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Limiting size of image file attachments [message #26345 is a reply to message #26344] Fri, 15 July 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
The best the forum could do is reduce the amount of screen space the image takes up by allowing the user to specify X and Y. But the large file would still need to be downloaded, which makes this feature somewhat pointless. Plus the user would actually need to know enough to specify the small dimentions when displaying attached image.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: Limiting size of image file attachments [message #26346 is a reply to message #26345] Fri, 15 July 2005 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Fri, 15 July 2005 17:22

The best the forum could do is reduce the amount of screen space the image takes up by allowing the user to specify X and Y. But the large file would still need to be downloaded, which makes this feature somewhat pointless. Plus the user would actually need to know enough to specify the small dimentions when displaying attached image.

OK. I've reduced the maximum attachment size to 250K (I might lower it more) and I'll have to provide a means of posting larger, non-image files by sending them to me for posting. That's the only solution I've come up with so far.
Re: Limiting size of image file attachments [message #26680 is a reply to message #26335] Mon, 01 August 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous   Germany
How about diffrent maximum attachment sizes for diffrent file types?
Re: Limiting size of image file attachments [message #26691 is a reply to message #26335] Wed, 03 August 2005 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JamesS is currently offline  JamesS   United States
Whenever I post a large image attachment to a thread, and inline the image with the post, I make use of the spoiler tag. For example:

This way, the user knows that the image is going to be big and scroll off of their screen.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 August 2005 20:04]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Limiting size of image file attachments [message #26694 is a reply to message #26691] Wed, 03 August 2005 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I saw your large image was displayed only as a link, it sent me off hunting for the setting to control that, and I found it. Under Category & Forum Management, for each forum there is a setting for "Message Threshold". I set this at a reasonable size, 50KB, so anything larger is not directly displayed, but only as a link as yours was here.

Thanks!
Re: Limiting size of image file attachments [message #26698 is a reply to message #26335] Thu, 04 August 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JamesS is currently offline  JamesS   United States
That wasn't what I was trying to point out. Do you see the "This is a really large image" link? Click it and see what happens.
Re: Limiting size of image file attachments [message #26699 is a reply to message #26698] Thu, 04 August 2005 04:46 Go to previous message
JamesS wrote on Wed, 03 August 2005 23:27

That wasn't what I was trying to point out. Do you see the "This is a really large image" link? Click it and see what happens.

I did and I realize that wasn't your point. It led me to something else. Sorry, I thought that was clear.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Suggestion for phpBB converter
Next Topic: SSL secure option for login, registration and settings
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sat May 18 23:24:51 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02522 seconds