FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Announcements » FUDforum Layout Contest!!!  () 2 Votes
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Re: FUDforum Layout Contest!!! [message #28783 is a reply to message #26425] Fri, 11 November 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JamesS is currently offline  JamesS   United States
Actually, more widespread changes is why I am in favor of a simpler stylesheet. If I were to rework it I would probably split it up thusly:

1) A stylesheet that styles the overall layout. It would mostly just style the tables and divs that are used on every page of the forum. Any style that would be used on every page (such a styling of links) should go in this sheet.

2) A stylesheet for the index page. This would style the text and links on the main index page. The styles in this sheet would more than likely be used by the category and forum views.

3) A stylesheet for the thread view. Stuff like the "code" tag doesn't need to be in the other two sheets. This sheet could also be used for post composition.

It may sound complicated but it really isn't. I think it actually simplifies things. Every element wouldn't have to have a specific class or three. This would reduce the overall size of the markup as well as the size, and complexity, of the stylesheet. Which in turn would increase performance a bit.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 November 2005 14:46]

Report message to a moderator

Re: FUDforum Layout Contest!!! [message #28785 is a reply to message #28783] Fri, 11 November 2005 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
Separate stylesheets would actually decrease performance since you'd need to load >1 stylesheet per page.

Having individual stylesheets for separate pages is a bad idea IMO.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: FUDforum Layout Contest!!! [message #28794 is a reply to message #26425] Fri, 11 November 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JamesS is currently offline  JamesS   United States
It would only decrease it the first time a user views the page. Once the styles are cached they aren't redownloaded again until they have changed, as I am sure you know. Even then, though, the user usually has to clean out their cache. Plus, you wouldn't have to include all three stylesheets on every page. The only page that would have, at most, three sheets referenced would be the thread view page. And really, how is sending a whole bunch of useless information faster than sending less, more relevant, information?

Also, the stylesheets could still be sent in one request by using the @import rule instead of referencing them with a link.
Re: FUDforum Layout Contest!!! [message #28847 is a reply to message #28794] Sat, 12 November 2005 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marticus   United States
I believe you have a very interesting, sophisticated, fast, and efficient theming system. However, I believe you would have more people interested in making themes if it were less complicated. The web-based template editing is very sophisticated and it requires a lot of time to understand and then use. Some people I know, who have looked at it, didn't even want to try to understand it. The thing I do like about it is that I know of no other forums that provides such an interface into the templating system. Maybe a different layout for this would be beneficial. I can think of nothing at the moment, however. As for designing themes, the modular approach is also complex and requires much time to learn the layout of the files. I think it would be very helpful if there were some kind of interface, whether it be win32 based or web based, for designing the theme. The template editor is a good start. I think it can go any direction from there and it will be better. Anyway, these are just some thoughts I had a few days ago during a conversation with someone at work. I hope it helps in some way.
Re: FUDforum Layout Contest!!! [message #29012 is a reply to message #28752] Thu, 24 November 2005 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lukin is currently offline  Lukin   Poland
Should be ready in the end of the first week of the December.
Sorry for such big delay Embarassed
Re: FUDforum Layout Contest!!! [message #29363 is a reply to message #26425] Thu, 15 December 2005 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GrinGEO is currently offline  GrinGEO   Sweden
so here we get ours.

http://www.minitechnet.de/forum/

not finished 100%, but on the best way to become a great skin.
Re: FUDforum Layout Contest!!! [message #36080 is a reply to message #29363] Sat, 03 March 2007 02:33 Go to previous message
littleking is currently offline  littleking   United States
how are you integrating the fudforum into the main page of your site?
Pages (2): [ «    1  2]  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: FUDforum 2.7.6 Released!
Next Topic: FUDforum 2.7.7RC2 Released
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:29:01 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03241 seconds