FUDforum
Fast Uncompromising Discussions. FUDforum will get your users talking.

Home » FUDforum » FUDforum Suggestions » "View my posts" tab for User CP
Show: Today's Messages :: Polls :: Message Navigator
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
"View my posts" tab for User CP [message #27125] Sat, 27 August 2005 21:00 Go to next message
Astoria is currently offline  Astoria   United States
Currently it takes several clicks to navigate to a list of one's own posts. It would be easier for users if they could just go to their CP to find their posts, either linked from the CP tab or accessible from the CP option with the list in a separate tab.

I would prefer the second option (if you agree this would be a useful feature) as there is a more complicated, related set of functionality which I need to code for my FUD installation. I will detail that in another post, in case you may be interested.
Re: "View my posts" tab for User CP [message #27132 is a reply to message #27125] Sun, 28 August 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia is currently offline  Ilia   Canada
Administrator
Core Developer
I am having trouble imagening that seeing own posts would be common enough of an operation to require a tab of its own. Right now it requires about 2 clicks, go to own user profile, click on show posts.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: "View my posts" tab for User CP [message #27140 is a reply to message #27132] Sun, 28 August 2005 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ilia wrote on Sat, 27 August 2005 23:07

I am having trouble imagening that seeing own posts would be common enough of an operation to require a tab of its own. Right now it requires about 2 clicks, go to own user profile, click on show posts.

First you have to get to somewhere that has a link to your profile. May not be visible on home page.

Re: "View my posts" tab for User CP [message #27141 is a reply to message #27140] Sun, 28 August 2005 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
That's true, well I am not critically opposed to adding such a feature, but I'd like to hear more reasoning in regard to why is frequently needed.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: "View my posts" tab for User CP [message #27142 is a reply to message #27141] Sun, 28 August 2005 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is part of the functionality from the forum my community migrated from, the other parts of which are detailed in my other post.

Sometimes people want to quickly reference a post they made somewhere else on the forum (as I just did above). I was able to get to the above fairly rapidly since it was a main thread and I had it in my subscriptions, but if it hadn't been it would have been somewhat of a pain to look up because I hadn't been online long enough to show up on the home page.

I created a high-level functional spec last night that is better organized than either of these posts. I will post it over on the linked topic.
Re: "View my posts" tab for User CP [message #27145 is a reply to message #27142] Sun, 28 August 2005 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
I understand your previous install had this feature which is why you want to have something similar in FUDforum. I am more interested in generic reasons, personally I have not need to review my previous posts frequently. So, the few extra steps needed to get at the information were not annoying. But I realize that people have different needs and so on, so I want to understand the reasons. Perhaps, something else could better serve same purpose with even greater effect.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: "View my posts" tab for User CP [message #27146 is a reply to message #27145] Sun, 28 August 2005 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perhaps some background would help. My forum is basically a political discussion site, where we discuss news and philosophy, etc. Often someone will post links and excerpts in a topic when we are discussing a news story, that they then will want to refer to later when another story related to the same topic comes up.
Re: "View my posts" tab for User CP [message #27147 is a reply to message #27146] Sun, 28 August 2005 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is one way to make the list of posts more accessible to users without putting it up on a CP tab: instead of the username being part of the logout link, it could be a link to their user profile.
Re: "View my posts" tab for User CP [message #27168 is a reply to message #27125] Mon, 29 August 2005 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Administrator
Core Developer
The feature was added to CVS.

FUDforum Core Developer
Re: "View my posts" tab for User CP [message #27321 is a reply to message #27168] Sun, 04 September 2005 17:56 Go to previous message
Just installed the newest release with the feature added. Looks great; thank you.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: mark topics as bookmark in fudforum
Next Topic: add subscribed option to 'm' and 't' mode syndication options
Goto Forum:

-=] Back to Top [=-
[ Syndicate this forum (XML) ] [ RSS ]

Current Time: Sun May 19 03:15:24 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03251 seconds